Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about doing a track day this summer at grattan raceway through trackaholics.com. My only question is weather or not $125 is a good price for a track day? I'd also need to rent leathers for $75 and a back guard for $10. All totaled I'd end up spending over $200 which is hard for me to justify for one day of fun. Are there other ways to get track experience without forking over so much money? I'd kind of like to see how I like it before I start spending so much money on it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Team Pro Motion has a FREE "try the track day", where they talk to you , take you out on the track, talk to you some more, take you out again. This is free and they don't require leathers or back protectors.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If you can't find a less expensive way, that is still a bargain price to unleash your bike in a safe environment without risk of incurring the higher cost of a ticket and increased insurance rates.

Warning! It can be addictive ;D Every time I feel the need to start riding a little fast on the street on a regular basis, I start looking to book another track day and satisfy the urge that way.

I do all my track days now through Sport Bike Track TIme. Free coaching for the Novice Group which I will stay in until they kick me up to Intermediate because there are some plenty fast subgroups in that category.

I struggled with rationalizing the money side of it, too. But in the end it makes sense and I'm shooting for 4 - 6 trackdays per year and am on track so far (no pun intended)

·
Registered
849 Posts
$125 is on the cheap side here in CA as well. However, after gas and tires (and trailer rental if you don't have a truck) my days end up costing me somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 - $400 (of course you can finish the tires off on the street so that defers the cost a bit).

It's the best fun you can have legally. Well worth it. Consider simply buying the leathers outright, you'll use them again.

-R.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Do a track day that has a dedicated school/instruction component. This will help you acclimate to the track environment and improve your riding. It will also improve your chance of attending an organized, safe, and educational event. Lastly, a track day which has a "safety school" will not void your insurance if you have a spill(check with your insurer). You probably won't crash as it's a very safe place to ride and if you keep your cool, all will be smiles and hugs.

$125 is pretty cheap for a track day. Buy some letaher pants that zip to your jacket. You can get a good pair on the web for about $125. kneedraggers.com motorcyclecloseouts.com etc. You can get a decent suit for around $400.

I can't wait to go again.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's gonna cost you at least $4-5k. You will get hooked and it will go something like this:

1. First track day only about $200 (if your tires are good) including food and all.

2. You get hooked and start looking for other sessions close by.

3. You now bought your own leathers and new boots

4. New rearsets cause your dragging pegs all over the place

5. You invest in an EZup canopy and tool box just for the track.

6. Five track days later you decide a Scotts damper isn't really a bad idea.

7. You start searching ebay looking for a second set of wheels to mount up track only tires.

8. Your girlfriend actually starts to like handing you tools in the garage as you set up the bike.

9. Your girlfriend starts looking at Hawk GT's for herself!!

10. You get the idea now i hope. Very addicting stuff. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I should add:
11. Go buy an SV650 race prepped for the track.

I just brought home a 2001 track toy. Damn!!!!!!!!!

Still love the Duc and will track day it also, but i just got tired of duct taping my baby.

At least it's a twin!!!! No inline 4's for me.

X

·
0 Posts
Just get a license and goreacing track time is cheaper than track days plus you get some competition and the possibility of winning some tire money etc...

·
Registered
377 Posts
That is in the plans. I bought the bike from a new dad ex-racer this past Saturday. He said the same thing. Can't decide which series to run in (WERA or CCS formula usa). I live in western PA and didn't want to travel too far. BeaveRun, Grattan, MidOhio, Pocono, Summit Point and maybe VIR are my llimits.

Any tips?????

X

·
0 Posts
I suggest WERA...

This was the NE schedule this year
3/13-14 Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA-rs,
4/17-18 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Pt., WV-rs,
4/24-25 BeaveRun Motorsports Park, Wampum, PA-K,rs,Y,
5/20-23 WERA Cycle Jam, VIR, Alton, VA -D,K,P,S,
6/12-13 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Pt., WV-D,K,P,
7/10-11 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH-D,K,P,rs,S,Y,
7/20-21 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH-
8/7-8 BeaveRun Motorsports Park, Wampum, PA-S,
8/21-22 Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA-rs,S,Y,
9/25-26 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Pt., WV-rs,S,Y,

There are also some national events, but as a first year rider/racer you will soon find that it costs 400-600 a weekend to race and that is without repairs to crashed bikes and mechanical failures ....

Look into it.. go to a track volunteer as a cornerworker, Hang out and talk to riders.. go tot the WERA BBS site and browse.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I started doing track days in February and can't recommend it enough. I have learned more in 3 track days than I have in the 10 months since I started riding.

Here is how price breaks down for me. First time track school was $125. Each time after that is $80. I rent a U-Haul motorcycle trailer for $15 per day to get the bike to the track. So, for the fee, trailer, and gas for the bike I spent about $110. Well worth it in my opinion.

I would buy a set of leathers instead of renting them for two reasons. First, it is worth it to have good gear anyway. Whether you ride on the track or not. Especially if you buy a 2 piece set. Second, you WILL want to go back to the track because it is so much fun and owning the leathers is cheaper than renting them. I got my 2 piece suit for $450. They pay for them selves after 3 visits to the track. I've alread been 3 times since February and the summer isn't even in full swing yet.

So, I say go for it. You won't regret it. Even if you don't want to buy a set of leathers I say spend the $200 for a day just to check it out. You'll have a blast. Have you ever heard someone say they hate track days?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice guys. I haven't been in the "Racing and Track Days" section in a while and when I came back there was a bunch of replies to my post. I just had my birthday on the 1st and anyone who asked what I wanted I told a track day. No one was willing, as they would say, to contribute to me killing myself. Anytime I try to talk to someone about it they seem to think I'm crazy. I try to convince them it about learning more than anything. O' well, I guess I'll have to save my penny's and go myself. As for all your advice, I like the idea of volunteering at a track. It would be nice to see how things work and possibly earn some free track time.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
track days lead to more track days, which leads to racing, which leads to crashing, which leads to fixing, which leads to racing, which leads to crashing. At the very least, you get real good at fixing bikes. Like the others, I have a race-only bike. (cbr600) Monsters really aren't great track bikes, plus they aren't cheap to fix. Buy a used race bike and if you crash, learn the wonders of ebay. If you buy a used ex-race bike, it will already have clip-ons, rearsets, suspension, exhaust all done most likely, so you save the money there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
A 6-session, 100-mile trackday is infinitely safer than five miles in traffic. Clean asphalt, plenty of run-off room, no cars, everybody is going the same direction and ambulances on stand-by.

Tell your friends the track is the only safe place left to ride a motorcycle, they might change their minds.

-R.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have just done a track day last Sunday here in Western Australia and had a blast. For around A$200 you have a full on day with your bike and people just like yourself. My day was with the W.A. Motorcycle Racing Club and had experienced racers on hand with advice and direction. It is a great chance to give yourself and your bike a good workout without sweating on your experience being spoilt. The main part of any day is to enjoy your bike, go fast and go home intact.(bike and body) Have a go! I am already lining up for the next day in early August. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
There are also season passes, where you attend all trackdays and you get to ride in all groups. We did not do it this year, but we are for next. Zoom Zoom offers a great package and for those in Cali, Reno/Fernley's track is going to be the best track in the west once they pave the rest of the track.

C

·
0 Posts
I have no experience on Bike tracks but talking from Car track experience.... INVEST ON LEARNING. If you think you want to start up a track habit,.... take classes. I have seen so many times the ego monger who has the nicest ferrari on the track (no i do not have one) mowing the lawn with it because he thinks that track driving is the same as street while the guy in the beat up 944 laps him twice. On the track...leave the ego at the door, and dont do it unless you can afford to learn. If you have to,... wait. That advice about making sure the track has a school on site for insurance reasons is golden.

·
Registered
555 Posts
hey michael
a few of us are going to be at Gratten next week (monday thru friday), swing by if you want to check it out. I dont know if the track owners would charge you to spectate but if you get in look me up. we are usualy at the end of the road by pit out (the back pit out...not the one on the straight). I have a black 97m750 and will be with a friend with a black m900 with a bright yellow front fender.
cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts