Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Since I'm pretty much done paying off my loan for my 2000 BMW R1200C and I'm no longer touring as much as I have, I'm thinking of getting into something that's a 100lbs lighter and sportier. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I'd like to hear some monster owner opinions.
I live in Chicago, near the lake, and most of my riding is in town. I used to live in iowa where i had more time to cruise and tour.

From my point of view here are the pros to the BMW R1200C:

Single Sided Swingarm (Shaft Drive)
big ass opposing cylinders (i like it.)
ABS
Telelever front suspension
Comfortable
Looks
Bulletproof engine reliability
not needing to spend too much money on aftermarket b/c lack of goodies

cons:

expensive aftermarket
ABS
not much on top end
Heavy (but light for a cruiser)

Ducati Monster

Pros:

hooligan-ability (can't do wheelies too well with the BMW)
lightweight, flickable
rigidi trellis frame
more customizable options, great aftermarket
faster
louder v-twin sound.

cons:

Ducati reliability/service? I'm not sure if there's a difference, input?
more apt to be stolen?
not much touring capability
not too comfortable for the pillion riders
maybe more expensive to maintain? I change all my oils, fluids, etc. and valve adjustment. Able to do so on ducati?
any electrical gremlins

Your input appreciated. I'm not going to throw too much dough, I'm targeting either the 800s or 1000s

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just got my M1000 ;D...this bike is a blast. Not even a week and I'm ready for the 600 mile service. Light and flickable...quick...a passenger? you won't be able to stop to let one get on (you have your cruiser for that). Ducati's are great...if it breaks, guess what? get it fixed!...haven't had any problems with my Ducs.
BB

·
Registered
796 Posts
The only thing that I think would really be an issue is passenger comfort. These bikes do not do well riding two up. It is uncomfortable for the passenger and makes the bike unstable. If you plan on riding two up look at something else.
I think you can learn to do your own maintenece on these bikes just like any other, its just different.

C

·
0 Posts
There is only one right answer, and only you can find it. Asking a Monster board what bike is better is kinda sillly. Everyone here probably loves there monster way more than they love R12C's.

Be honest with yourself, listen to your heart. What do YOU really want out of a motorcycle? There is no wrong answer. It's all about listening to your heart. If you like big-ass opposing cylinders and heavy bikes, you'll hate the monster. If you like an engine that requires no maintenace, you'll hate the monster. If you like bikes that look seriously cool in a Vincent Black Shadow way and a bike that rallies around corners or simply love the idea of a monster, you'll dig the monster. Practicality be damned, get what spins your wheels. Its the only way you'll ever be happy with a motorcycle.

Find a bike that makes your heart go pitter-pat and you'll have an easy time dealing with "shortcomings". If the bike was bought because it met a certain practical criteria, but you never just sit in the garage to look at it, idosyncrasies will drive you bonkers and you'll never ride the bike.

In any case, good luck,
Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The Monster is not a 2-up bike, but it's really good at most everything else. Sustained high-speed slabbing is not a lot of fun, but then it's only tolerable on even the best cruiser (or car).

Maintenance I do not believe is worse than your Beemer.
Get an M1000DS. I think you'll love it!

Keep the cruiser if you can. I'd like to add one myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a yellow 97 M900 for sale that has your name on it. It's only got 3500 miles on it and it has CF all over the place, CF DP cans, a color matched belly pan and some performance mods (State II Jet kit, K&N Filter and FBF high comp pistons). It's fun fast and probably half the price you'll pay for a new 1000. Can be viewed on cycletrader.com, just search for 97 M900's in Arizona and look for the cool yellow one with a belly pan. Call the number listed if you're interested.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you like the R1200C, the Monster might not be the bike for you. I took one out for a test ride and absolutely hated it. The engine sound is awful, seating position is not great, and it's really annoying how the bike moves side to side when you rev the engine at a stop light.

See if you can take a Monster for a test ride. Maybe you'll see the light and become a Ducati addict like the rest of us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you use a magnetic tank bag on the monster?

Thanks

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Can you use a magnetic tank bag on the monster?

Thanks
Yes, they work well on the Monster tank.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sure it's doable. I take my 100 lb daughter out, but frankly, it's a Hell of a lot less fun than riding solo.

I've been trying to teach her pillion skills, such as squeezing my hips with her knees when decelerating instead of letting her weight drive into my shoulders. These things help, but let's be real: that chick you want to pick up and take for a ride... what does she know about proper pillion technique?

And in no case is the Monster acceptable for more than an hour. That severely limits where you can go. If you want to take the girl out for most of a day and a picnic... it won't be fun for either of you.

Also, my daughter doesn't complain because she doesn't know that it doesn't have to suck and because she'll tolerate anything if her younger brothers will feel jealous!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts