Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya just doing alot of thinking lately, and well with winter right around the corner and the amount of things that I want to buy soon. Im debating whether or not I should sell it. I plan on getting the new sbk when it comes out in February and just dont think having 2 would be necessary.

with that in mind. I really in the mist of purchasing a new house and car (well things I need to do in the near future).

any input guys?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Winter is the worst time to sell a bike. Most people don't ride in the winter so no one is really itchin to buy it. If you price it right, you should be able to sell it, but not for as much as if you sold in the springtime...

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Honestly I think you have a great bike... you've only had that bike for like what, six months? And you know as well as I do Texas winters are at least 90% perfectly rideable. It's a 999 dude! If you will be needing to make other big-ticket purchases in the near future it makes far more sense to keep what you already have rather than sell it for the new shiny model.

·
Registered
211 Posts
factorplayer said:
If you will be needing to make other big-ticket purchases in the near future it makes far more sense to keep what you already have rather than sell it for the new shiny model.
What he said.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
factorplayer said:
Honestly I think you have a great bike... you've only had that bike for like what, six months? And you know as well as I do Texas winters are at least 90% perfectly rideable. It's a 999 dude! If you will be needing to make other big-ticket purchases in the near future it makes far more sense to keep what you already have rather than sell it for the new shiny model.
:'(

its just creeping up on 10k miles as well, If I do keep it any longer I wont even be able to make any remotely decent kind of money off it. I do love it, its just umm well I dont know.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NAKID said:
Winter is the worst time to sell a bike. Most people don't ride in the winter so no one is really itchin to buy it. If you price it right, you should be able to sell it, but not for as much as if you sold in the springtime...
I thought about that too, but there isn't many ducati's for sale around here right now so I think that might help me out...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Me? I have many hobbies. They all seem to come and go in phases. The hobby that I LOVE to do today, will be the one I hate to do next month. However, the love of that hobby WILL return.

I've lost a lot of money selling skydiving gear thinking that "oh, I just don't feel like doing it anymore". Then, 6 months later, I want to jump. So, I go out and buy all new gear.

I've done that with many hobbies until I one day realized that your interests come and go.

Selling the 999 will result in a loss of money. You will want to ride again, and when you do you will start all over with a new bike that will hit 10K miles in no time. Don't sell it just because it's going to hit 10K. It will be an ongoing problem that you may never overcome and will cost you a lot of money in the long run.

And trading in just because you want the next best thing/latest technology, is a complete waste of money as well. Cause the following year, they'll just have something even faster and better. So, you'll be caught in a financial never-ending mess. This "bigger and better" problem happened with me and Jap bikes. Every year I traded in because my friends were always saying "awe, look at your slow piece of junk". So, I traded up. And lost money each time.

Keep your bike and save your money. Think about the repetitive problem that you might be starting by trading up each time a better bike comes out or when you just don't feel like riding right now.

Keep the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well said Tom! Too many people let their whims get them upside down on toys, cars, even houses. It's a modern sickness. No wonder so many people are in so much debt.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A new house and car in your future might well be the end of your motorcycling for a long time if you sell your current bike, since unforseen expenses and budget overruns can crop up with a new home. It'd make it that much harder to justify a new bike when the time came around, whereas if you kept your current bike there're no new expenses associated with it.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
IZ said:
So!

So do it then!!

If you don't want to be cool anymore..then go ahead and sell it!! [cheeky]

;)
Good job using psychology on him, IZ. I was going to go with: "I'll bet you can't sell it. Go on, I dare you to sell it."

[cheeky]

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
jamesmccain said:
If I do keep it any longer I wont even be able to make any remotely decent kind of money off it. I do love it, its just umm well I dont know.
Did you buy it to sell it? or to ride it?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
jamesmccain said:
If I do keep it any longer I wont even be able to make any remotely decent kind of money off it.
Toys depreciate (period). If you want to make money, try stocks, bonds, and real estate.
Ducati = Big Toy 8)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Never mind these guys. Sell the bike quickly. As in now. Rumor has it that the prices of 999s are going to tumble when the 1098 arrives.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Indeed, and as everyone knows rumors are perfectly valid foundations to base your buying/selling/money decisions on ::)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
factorplayer said:
Indeed, and as everyone knows rumors are perfectly valid foundations to base your buying/selling/money decisions on ::)
Just like the stock market, eh? [laugh]

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Stik said:
Toys depreciate (period). If you want to make money, try stocks, bonds, and real estate.
Ducati = Big Toy 8)
Very true. Cars and bikes are like woman................if you want one, it will cost you money :)

Some woman, more than others......................some bikes, more than others [laugh]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts