Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
yuu said:
Well, I just put my clutch slave back on and saw something 'odd' that lends weight to the idea that the seal between the alternator cover and the main case has failed.

Once I bolted the slave back on I crouched down to be close to it and gave the lever a couple squeezes. And I'll be damned, but at the seam between the cover and the case just in front of the center line of the output shaft - I could see something moving. Yep, it was almost as if the pressure from the slave pulling on the cover was pulling it away from the case just a tiny bit. :(

So it's looking like she needs a re-gooping. Guess I should get my to-do list ready for the shop.
you know, that's amazingly obvious, but i never even considered it. that's why they leak there over time - the intermittant high load applied by the slave. it's a lot of load too - try getting the clutch to release by pushing the rod yourself.

maybe they need an 8mm bolt behind the slave there with it's higher torque loading, not a 6mm.

i love learning new stuff.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've got the stainless springs in the clutch too - I barely think I could compress teh spring a millimeter with my bare hands, so I can imagine there's a lot of force at play.

It's such a simple explanation - but I definetly had a "Well duh" moment there. At first the notion that that large seal with all its bolts would fail seemed a bit out there. But after this and thinking about how many thousand times that area has to take the strain of the slave pulling on it, it's kind of a wonder that it held up for 8 years.

yeah a couple 8mm back there probably would have been a good design revision... a few years back oh well.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts