Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
That reallys sucks.

Unfortunately, a fellow Ducati rider was recently killed out here in Vegas. I didn't know him. A Jeep Cherokee turned left in front of him and the rider had absolutely no time to react. So far the driver of the Jeep has only been cited for an improper left turn.

Where is the justice in that?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
eveyone in a car is a potential janklow. global awareness
and eternal vigilance are your only allies .... apart
from a good lawyer.

N

·
0 Posts
Extremely sad and i cant believe the supposed fines in this. How can one not get stiffer penalties for ending the lives of 3 and wounding others i just dont understand.

I just hope in the civil cases the families get their just do in this. Heart goes out...

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I don't understand how he could be found not guilty of vehicular homicide. His van crossed the centerline and three riders died. Where is the reasonable doubt?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Well, the article didn't say if the driver had a history of wreckless driving, like Janklow did, or not. It also didn't say if he was speeding, or drunk, or doing anything negligent when he crossed the center line. I am really curious to hear more about the case.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I lived in Cedar Rapids when that happened. It was bad. My sister and her husband rode to one of the funerals along with 500 other bikers.

I have not followed it since it happened, but this story seems almost unbelievable. I don't look forward to going back to Iowa to ride, there are too many happy hay haullers and idiots out on the local roads. I blame part of the bad driving on the roads - they are so straight, wide, and flat, and empty that you really can almost sleep while driving and make it to your destination.

mitt
:-/

C

·
0 Posts
or doing anything negligent when he crossed the center line
What do you call crossing the center line?

Back when I was young and stupid I reached my limit of speeding tickets and had to take a defensive driving course. Man did I wish I had taken that before I got my license! I don't think people take the operation of a motor vehicle serious enough these days: it's a privilege not a right. But of course we've now designed our culture to be completely dependent on the car

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Jim has a good point. What do you call crossing the center line? When does a traffic violation become a crime? In Janklow's case it was clear. He had a wreckless disregard for public safety while driving and a long standing pattern of wreckless driving. Clearly criminal in my mind. How about this other case?

Traffic fatalities are a part of life when you travel on public roads it is sad to say. Every one of us has broken a traffic law in one way or another. Either on purpose, mostly speeding, or accident in the form of a momentary lapse of concentration. Every driver, or motorcyclist, will at some point in their life commit an error while operating a motor vehicle. Luckily in most cases there aren't fatalities involved.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I wish I would have read that article sooner. I have a friend I was in the Marines with from Ames named James Olson- he is the one that lost his leg and was in the hospital for 4 months. Ames isnt a huge town, and last I heard he moved to Florida. Gonna have to do some checking.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I wish I would have read that article sooner. I have a friend I was in the Marines with from Ames named James Olson- he is the one that lost his leg and was in the hospital for 4 months. Ames isnt a huge town, and last I heard he moved to Florida. Gonna have to do some checking.
Ames is where I went to college. My sister and her husband knew 1 of the guys that was killed.

mitt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts