Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we were having some pretty mad winds yesterday and as i was walking home my umbrella was reduced to a twisted bundle of broken spines and i got to worrying. sure enough, from about 200 metres down the road i could see my monster was lying on it's left side still wrapped up in it's all weather cover. from what i can tell, the wind must have filled the cover like a balloon because the bike was tipped to the left but still had it's stand down. So it dropped hard enough to snap the left footpeg instead of flicking it up and the only points of contact with the ground as far as i can tell were the kickstand, the barend and the big ol' mickey mouse mirror. i'm getting the peg replaced tomorrow and don't particularly care about the barend and mirror as i'm about to replace them but i'm a bit concerned that it must have taken quite a hit when it tipped. the steering lock was on so the handlebar didn't flick round and hit the tank or anything! i'm feeling pretty lucky about the lack of damage! the lefthand can doesn't even seem to be damaged at all, i guess the cover stopped it from scraping the concrete. the bracket for the rear pegs and muffler mounts are cast right? so can't bend? the muffler does seem closer to the swingarm on the lefthand side but not dramatically.

So all in all, it seems pretty minor, but is there anything i should be worried about? i haven't ridden it yet, so can't say whether it feels wonky or anything... but it must be tough enough to take this drop surely? anyone? thanks everyone!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey count, brake pedal? it fell to the left so it was gear lever side down. i guess what i'm worried about is the jarring to the triples/fork area and the gear linkage. but it clicked in and out of gear no worries when i moved it so seems okay. going to get the 14T installed next week so hopefully they'll pick up anything thats damaged.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Woops, I guess when I read that the kickstand was still down I automatically assumed it fell on the right side. Thats what I get for assuming!

I doubt your forks are damaged from a tipover.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for the confidence! it really does defy logic that it fell to the left so the wind literally lifted 170kgs!!! still, not too bad. started it up on the weekend and it was firing like one cylinder wasn't sparking. started then dies a couple of times, then came right. seems fine now. and the gear change seems smoother than before the drop!?! still, it' not too easy when your trying to lever your foot on the stub of a foot peg!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts