Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before putting out the big $$ and ordering a high zoot dial caliper or good micrometer to check crank journals etc., I checked all my favorite pawn shops this morning and hit paydirt. Scored a Brown & Sharpe 25-50mm micrometer that reads to .001mm and is in good shape. $30. That's good!

Then I used it to measure the crank journals. The undamaged side measured 42.008mm, inside the range for "A" size crankshafts. That's good!

But..... The scuffed side of the journal measured .120mm less across the damaged parts. The max oil clearance allowed is only .056mm. That means simply polishing the crank and replacing the rod bearings is out. That's bad.

It also means that the rod probably is shot too, because it is scuffed and scored as bad as the worst part of the crank journal. That's bad.

Or maybe not. It means I now have an excuse to install Carillo rods after having the crank ground to the first undersize (0.25mm). That's good! And while I'm at it, I would be foolish not to have the crank polished and balanced with the new rods. That's good!

Looks like I'll be trying to reach Fox Performance tomorrow to discuss options and see if I'm overlooking any show stopping bad news.

In the meantime, I have another (bottom half of a )14K mile motor arriving later this week which may allow me to throw a working motor together with the top end off this one. That will be good!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Build the baddest 900 imaginable while you are in there.

I wounder if there is a longer throw crank that is compatible with the 900 cases. Along with a big bore kit and some HC pistons. Finish it all off with some port work on the heads and larger valves. >:D >:D

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I can find a buyer for this extra kidney I'm carrying around, I would definitely go the all-out build: MBP "Red" heads, 966 kit from Chris K, and the split single FCRs on short manifolds. And of course, the lower end stuff that I'm already embarking on.

Apparently a few 966s have been built or are under construction so far, here and in Europe and they have proven pretty reliable so far. I'm just not in a position to inject $5-6K into a build up at this point.

But the timing is right. I have the motor apart. The paired FCRs are on the 900SS track bike right now, so there is an empty space for the split singles on the Monster(or whichever bike would get the built motor). I have an extra set of cylinders to send off for boring and replating, so I don't really need to "waste" the perfectly good set of cylinders & pistons that just came off the motor. And everything else in the motor and transmission looks almost brand new other than the crankshaft and rod.

Oh well, maybe one day 8)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
M1k crank would probably fit. ;)

Myself, I wouldn't spend a nickel on polishing the crank.
Balancing, definitely.

Crank is very likely case hardened, depth is usually at least 1mm, so a 0.25mm grind on the diameter should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$.........caaching!!!
I'll trade you some parts for a liver!!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Norm, I don't know if my liver or pancreas have much mileage left in them [laugh]. I think my drivers license says "Possible Organ Donor" on it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts