Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How rare is the S4 Senna? Seems to me that its not very rare, that the majority I have seen on the posts have a S4 Senna and all the S4's you see on Ebay are a Senna. Seems to me its the other colors that are rare on the S4. I keep hearing the rare S4 Senna I see that people put it in thier posts on Ebay. Maybe its just a ploy to try and sell thier bike on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The S4 'Senna' isnt rare at all (it's also not really a Senna Model)

Rare Ducs were produced and imported in limited numbers, and have a numberplate on the triple indicating their # and how many made.
Some examples:
748L
900SS/FE
996 Bostrom

The only Monsters that might be rare are the S4 Foggy and the M620 Capriex

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My Cromo is pretty rare. I was told that only 50 were produced for 2001 (although they weren't numbered). Wonder if even remotely there was a way to determine the total number of cromo's and which one I have. Don't know how many 99's there were.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Was there ever a Monster Senna? There was a 916 Senna, and that's the only Ducati that ever was actually called a "Senna." I think what gets people confused is simply the gray color, and the red wheels. But they shouldn't be calling that a Senna, and it shouldn't cost anymore than any other S4.

As for the Chromos, I don't believe they were actually limited in any way. Perhaps not a lot of them were sold, and that would make them more rare. I guess the same could be said of the Monster City, as I've only seen ONE of those. And I've never seen a monster with that Bass Boat sparkle tank.

So in the end, there are actually "special editions" and there are bikes that are rare only because nobody really bought them.

FYI MV has a "Senna" F4 as well.

FYI2 I really really love the Monster Chromos, and in fact, the reason I own a Monster now is because I saw a "Feracci Chromo" at a dealership. Does anyone know what's up with those particular bikes? Did Feracci buy a lot of 50 bikes and mod them up with their parts or what?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Agreed. The S4 "Senna" scheme is not rare. However, when I was shopping for my S4 in early 2001, they were very tough to find. At that time, it was by far the most popular color. I could not locate a new one. I have three friends who bought red S4's as a kind of a group purchase. There was no problem for the dealer to get a fourth for me, if I wanted it.

Then Ducati announced the S4 Fogarty...which really is rare. Of 300 made, one went to Carl (note to Carl, check your battery), ninety something came to the USA, with 18 of those shipped to California.

A true "Senna" (which the S4 is not) is to commemorate Formula One champion Ayrton Senna, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Ayrton Senna Foundation:

http://www.sennaworld.com/asf.html

http://www.azsbk.com/senna.html

http://www.ferracci.com/2002ferracci/2002Models/mvagusta/f4senna_html/f4senna.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
Boys and girls, the even rarer Sennatized S4 of mine:

Apologies once again for the picture quality, but we'll not get into that again.

ps: I just got emailed by Lee at Monstershop and my DP touring seat has just arrived from Italy, the only one they had in stock at the factory. It has grey suede panels with gel inserts so now it really is a girl's bike Norm :)

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
For those in SF, the museum of modern art has a 916 Senna as the first thing you see when you go in the design gallery. Very cool IMO. Makes you proud to be a Duc owner and all...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
It is not just limited to Ducs either...

M

·
0 Posts
If I remember correctly DNA only imported 100 senna... 150 red, 150 yellow, in 2001, and a total of 300 Foggy s4's. Not sure what was imported for 2002 but believe it to be along the same lines. No S4's were imported in 2003. 2004 saw the S4R. So there's probably at least 200 between Latin America, Mexico, America, and Canada... probably less with jokers like strati, scott s., and oneducs either swapping or painting tanks and wheels. They definitely aren't rare just not as many. Maybe the folks that didn't buy the senna scheme just aren't as proud of their bikes as those that did... ::) ::) ;D ;D

you know, that question always reminds me of the time some joker was telling me that his RC-51 was a rare bike... i just giggled at him. when i hear rare i think vincent black shadow, or bimota tesi... not a bike with a different sticker job off a production run in the thousands.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
i just giggled at him. when i hear rare i think vincent black shadow, or bimota tesi... not a bike with a different sticker job off a production run in the thousands.
Production of Vincent Twins: (August 2002 Report by Machine Registrar)
Series A Rapide 80 First January 1937 Last July 1939
Series B Rapide 1847 First May 1946 Last June 1950
Series B Shadow 76 First February 1948 Last May 1950
Series B Racing Machines 8
Series C Rapide 2758 First December 1948 Last 1955
Series C Black Shadow 1507 First December 1948 Last 1955
Series C White Shadow 15 First May 1949 Last May 1952
Series C Black Lightning 33 (one with a D engine)
Series D Rapide 151 1955
Series D Black Shadow 144 1955
Series D Black Knight 101 1955
Series D Black Prince 132 1955

Total Production 6852

http://www.thevincent.com/vinprod.html

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Let us not forget the Limited run of SP 888s in the mid 90s. Some were limited to only 50 built

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Guess I'll have to change my signature to '02 MS4 "Ducati metalized dark gray Salchi 653.6047" with red wheels. :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yes..you must change your sig file now :-D

Is there any way to get the number of bikes sold in particular colors/options? I've seen it in my Miata (laugh and you die) magz quite a few times in regards to colors sold per year, as well as special editions and rare'ish models. The data is out there, it would be neat for someone to compile it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just see a few of the ads on EBAY saying the rare Senna S4. I know all about the number plates on the top triple clamp. Now I also have a 93 750SS which is pretty rare, you dont see or hear of to many since I have owned Ducs since 97. I have only seen 2 93 750SS in person and only a couple of times on EBAY. The 92 version is even more rare.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Fleed,

Don't be ashamed of your Miata, they are a great fun car. Screw all those that say otherwise. Just like my M900, I'll leave most of them in the twisties with it.

And it would be great if there was a way to know colors etc. by year. Or at least a way to confirm that indeed only 50 cromo's were made in 2001.

M

·
0 Posts
actually ducati called it the S4 senna... it's listed that way in my owners manual... i posted some scans of it way back when the site was real young. i don't believe they ever intended it to be paying homage to Senna it's just a descriptive name for the paint scheme that is most likely based off the very limited edition 916 Senna. imo Senna sounds much better than grey or grey with red wheels... some folks take to heartburn and get their panties in a wad over it but it doesn't really bother me... i didn't buy the bike because Senna's name was describing the color scheme i just like the paint scheme. the senna scheme cost the same as the red and yellow, it didn't have any special serial number, nor was it touted by anyone to be something he was involved in. people that know what a ducati is can differentiate, and if they can't who cares.

ronald reagan quoted it best "trust but verify", a vender tried to sell me a "rare" foot peg for $89; i bought the same foot peg from red racing for about $30 and had it shipped to my house with other parts in less time it took to the first place to figure out what was going on after multiple emails.

guess i should have said tens of thousands infoage... but c'mon 1651 over 7 years... not exactly as prolific as an rc-51

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
actually ducati called it the S4 senna...
2002 S4

Tank Colours - Red, yellow, black, metallic grey

Frame and Wheel colours - Metallic grey (fluorescent red wheels with metallic grey tank)

http://www.ducati.com/my2002/ducatiModel.jhtml?part=chassis&modelName=S4

guess i should have said tens of thousands infoage... but c'mon 1651 over 7 years... not exactly as prolific as an rc-51
Ok, so a production run of 1651 units fits into your definition of rare.

A little generous, in my opinion...

M

·
0 Posts
you're absolutely right i screwed up the edit to my reply; it should have read "actually ducati called the S4, Senna grey". sometimes my cutting and pasting get skewed... i'm an idiot. i forget we're splitting hairs, i don't have many left, so you win if that makes you happy; but Ducati called it Senna grey not metallic grey in 2001. i never said it was rare just said they didn't import many to the states.

i still think it's silly people get their panties in a wad over it. i'm not a collector... i don't get any satisfaction from owning rare, valuable, or collectable items... i giggle at people that do that much the same way i giggle at folks that stash away beanie babies.

as to rare rc-51's; when i see as many of them fifty years from now on the road as i currently see vincent black shadows then i'll consider it rare. until then i'm still gonna snicker at you if you tell me otherwise, decal job or not.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm into Miatas and such, and in 1992 they made some Yellow ones that nobody bought. They weren't special in any way other than nobody liked them so they only made them for one year. They sold around 1200 of them. When I think of 1200 TOTAL for the US it seems pretty rare to ME. But then as I exist on Earth and see about 1 a week I'm aware that 1200 is A LOT. It's not 12,000 A LOT, but it's not 100 rare either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts