Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without a doubt, a ride of epic proportions!

The group assembled shortly after 9:00 am, at the designated Chevron at Sunset & PCH. A grand total of 9 riders on 8 Monsters, undoubtedly a SCMHA record for a ride organized in ONE WEEK.

Participants were:

Eric 'fleedatz' and Niqui, tandem on Eric's '01 750
Bruce 'be' on his '02 750
Nick 'speeddog' on his '02 S4
Shaun '108' on his S4R
Kev on his 620
Ted on his S4R
spaceman on his '03 620
david 'supafly' on his '03 620

This band of extraordinarily well behaved hooligans promptly departed up PCH, negotiating the hazardous tourist-overloaded traffic of a summer saturday in Malibu.
A right turn onto Malibu Canyon / Las Virgenes led into the fun part of the ride. Open, rolling terrain led away from the moist, cool air of the coast into the hot and dry inland terrain.
A left onto Mulholland Highway brought a more challenging, tighter road, and a quick arrival at the infamous Rock Store.
A stop for a quick look at the bikes and a round of food and cold drinks gave time for all to get better acquainted, as only Speed, 108 and Kev had ever met before, and only the previous weekend, to boot! It was a good stop, as (apparently) saturdays are fairly low-key, not crowded like sundays.
After the refreshments, a quick poll of those who knew the area yielded a plan to run down the legendary Latigo Canyon Road. The reality proved that the reputation was real, Latigo was a real fun stretch of twisty road. Pretty bumpy in some areas, but generally a clean and smooth playground.

After the run down Latigo to PCH, Eric, Niqui, Ted, David and Bruce had to depart to fulfill afternoon committments, leaving speed, kev, 108, and spaceman to run back up Latigo to the Rock Store, enjoy more refreshments, and run back down Latigo. It was even more fun the second time around, with some knowledge of what to expect.
The remainder of the day was spent negotiating the bothersome PCH traffic back to the freeway, and then traffic there.

A good time was had by all. No breakdowns, no tickets, and no asphalt bodysurfing.

All in all, an excellent ride.

To those who missed this ride, there are more on the horizon!
Angeles Crest, Azusa Canyon, and Palomar are the latest suspects. Stay tuned!

Several other tasty roads were being discussed, so if you know of a good one, start a thread and we'll see what happens.

Thanks to Eric and Bruce for getting this ball rolling. ;D

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Well said, Speed. Thanks for taking the pics and writing up the ride. That was an awesome day, and I'm sure there are more to come with this great group.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, maybe next time we should go up to the 101. We were pretty close to it. Probably most summer weekend afternoons are that way on the 10, everybody leaving the beach.

I think I saw you coming west on the 210 when I was going east, I went up the 110 through Pasadena cause the 10 was so nasty.

Dunno, I think the plumbers and truck drivers usually buy Harleys. :)
The "What do YOU do for a living?" thread has an interesting cross section of careers. Don't sell yourself short, you've avoided major mayhem in your job, that's not just luck.

M

·
0 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice... I'm kicking myself for missing the ride... I got so rocked the night before that by the time I woke up on Sat, you guys were already crusin down Latigo! ::)

Did anyone take anymore pics? Was there any traffic? I'm totally down to go on the next ride... let me know when and where and I won't touch a drink for a week before! :p

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
for the record I'm not a brainac AT ALL. I picked a career in a field that the average company can only stay in BIZ for 2 years!

I should have been a BANKER!

AWESOME write up. I'll have my pics up loaded tommorow. It was a blast for sure. Comming from Texas the ride up to Rock Store was the nicest ride I've ever been on. It's very attractive up there......nice nice nice.

And nobody even made fun of my HACK looking MONSTER. YEzzzzz

S

·
0 Posts
Very nice pictures and post Speed. It was nice to go with others, so we could be lost together ;) ;) ;).

Hack ride???? Your bike is nice Eric. Next time you think that just remember I'm the guy who oils his belt covers to keep them black. :eek:

Next ride.....hmmmm, we got Palomar Mt., ACH, Azusa, Ortega Hwy. with the San Diego/OC bunch, and I've got a Lake Hughes Rd. to Bouquet Canyon to Little Tujunga Canyon run that I can scout out if anyone wants something not that well known but VERY VERY nice. Let me know,

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Here is some more proof. Sorry the pictures aren't that great...but I was nervous!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! More Pictures!
We can get more serious about the pictures on future rides, it'll come with experience. The most important thing right now is THE RIDE.

I'm just so overwhelmed that we all got together on such short notice. In the first 3 months I had my bike, I was able to get together with other folks here for only 2 rides. I had pretty much resigned myself to riding solo nearly all the time.

Now I've ridden 2 group rides in 2 weeks. Absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yes Yes Yes. I'd like one order of more rides soon please. :) I had my bike in Dallas for well over a year...one ride. I hope we can keep this going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts