Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about the new 1098 lately, I started wondering which unlucky designer will be charged with redesigning the Monster. Will this ever happen?

Some have said the HyperMotard could be the next Monster, but I hope that is not the case. It seems like a very different style to me. I think of the Monster as a sportbike focused on style, rather than aerodynamics. The HyperMotard to me seems to be catering to the multi-function style.

With all the hate that flowed toward the 999 when it came out, and now the same with the 1098, I have to think that no one would be satisfied with a Monster replacement/redesign.

Personally, here are my ideas, and if I find time I'll post some sketches, I welcome everyone else's ideas.

1. Keep the basic tank shape, no matter what. I feel like the tank is the key to the Monster's appeal, and it should not be changed much, other than to hopefully add capacity.

2. Develop a custom radiator and oil cooler for the liquid-cooled variants. Despite the added expense, I think there's no excuse not to have a perfectly integrated, well designed and engineered system.

3. Change the asthetic of the air box. I love the open look of the pod-filter modded bikes. I think Ducati could do a lot to make this part of the bike more appealing.

4. I like the integrated look of the plumbing on the Brutale, and would like Ducati to do something similar. I think blacking it out like the Speed Triple and the Jap nakeds is an easy way out.

5. Perhaps black out the engine cases, or include carbon covers to give a more integrated look.

6. I'd like to see some exotic exhaust work. I think the shotgun style is great, but an under engine, GP style exhaust would look great if designed right. I love the GP6 exhaust, with twin exits underneath and two under the tail.

7. Create a more integrated front fairing and headlight. Mold it around the headlight and gauges. Make the gauges minimalist, well integrated with the triple clamp.

8. Have the 1098 dash as an option at least for the top-of-the-line model.

9. Clipons standard, with different options on height.

10. Black out the forks, triples, pegs, etc. Cohesive is the word.

11. Models: Aircooled middleweight, aircooled liter, liquid-cooled middleweight, liquid-cooled SBK engine.

12. Do everything possible to lower the weight.

My main design goal would be to make every part look designed for the bike. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Of your preferences, all but the following would have me ignoring the newer Monsters as I have for the last two years:

1 the tank shape (BUT MORE FUEL).

2 a much cleaner radiator, which is why I bought an air-cooled, but without down tubes finding a place for it is a challenge.

9 clipons, at optional/adjustable heights, and matching adjustment on the pegs.

In particular, although some people do like the all-black look, I find it utterly unimaginative and just plain BORING. It's also harder to cover with lighter paint, or to strip from an cylinder or case if you actually want to see the engine (part of the appeal of a "naked" is the visual presence of the mechanical bits, otherwise get a SuperSport).

Most of what you want is already available for the existing S4Rs: lots of ways to "make it black"; a few replacement light/fairing bits; different exhaust options; pod-filter kits (BTW, meeting smog and noise regs with those is nearly impossible).

If someone does come out with a cleaner radiator, though, I'd probably retro-fit a liquid-cooled engine to my M1000S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't particularly like the all black engine look either, especially as seen on the Speed Triple. However the mismatching grays on my S4RS don't appeal to me either. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but I definitely love the naked look.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
cgarrison said:
I don't particularly like the all black engine look either, especially as seen on the Speed Triple. However the mismatching grays on my S4RS don't appeal to me either. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but I definitely love the naked look.
Getting the blacks to all match is impossible. There are too many different materials: steel, plastic, aluminum (machined, cast, forged), CF, ... and they all take color differently and have different textures.

Have you seen the Aprilia RSV1000 Factory? All of the "gold" (frame, forks, wheels) is a different color, and the blacks vary, too.

The real designer's trick (which you'd hope the Itailans could get right) is to minimize the number of differences, then make those look intentional, as part of the design.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would like to see the 749 motor as an option, I personally like the looks of the current monster but there are a few things they could do to change it. perhapsd a new tail, I like the 99 tail, the exhaust, ix-nay on the passenger seat and have the under tail/seat exhaust and have it exit out through the top of the tail like on the GP bike, or the second option have it similar to the buells under motor exhaust which centralizes the weight a bit more. perhaps do something different with the headlamp, I like the one on the brutale as well as the new yamaha FZ6 (euro version)

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
sconly said:
...I personally like the looks of the current monster but there are a few things they could do to change it. perhapsd a new tail, I like the 99 tail, the exhaust, ix-nay on the passenger seat ...
The only problem I see with this is that there is a huge market portion lost to this idea. Alot of people have spouses who like to ride pillion and don't want their own bike. Or like my fiancee and me, she rides but sometimes would rather just ride with me rather than taking two bikes.
Plus the younger portion of the market tends to buy motorcycles for their sex appeal. It is hard to pick up that hottie for a ride that just flagged you down...

I, like others, do not like the blacked out look either. I think that there should be a top top of the line version above the RS that offers things like a CF tank(painted or just cleared) with the rest of the body bits CF and painted or cleared. I also love the idea of a top of the line S version air cooled with the same top of the line suspenders and brakes but with a hotrodded air cooled engine.

Just my dos centavos...

Ryan

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
ZLTFUL said:
I also love the idea of a top of the line S version air cooled with the same top of the line suspenders and brakes but with a hotrodded air cooled engine.
+1
I, however, like the black engine covers on the 695 (not a totally black engine though), i will eventual powder-coat my S2R's.
On the other hand, the appeal for me with the Monster _IS_ all the mechanical bits and mismatched parts. This bike was born out of the parts bin in Bologna. If parts start getting molded, and streamlined (look at the bladder on the S*R models everyone despises), IMO it looses its appeal.
An 'S' model air-cooled bike would be really cool.
If i have a say in the direction the for the Next Generation Monster, it would appear _MORE_ mechanical, and have a better looking exhaust. While keeping the signature tank, headlight fairing and cowl shape.
just my .02$
RBx
i would still like to see some sketches!!!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Templar said:
Step 1: Insert engine from 1098

Step 2: Add Clip-ons

Step 3: Add steering damper

Step 4: Done
+1

The Monster has had so many on going updates and revisions that I don't think they'll NEED to update it for another 4-5 years. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a new Monster before that (hey, a new HyperMotard and SBK might be an indicator of new things to come out of Bologna).

I wouldn't bet the farm, but anyone else think the the '08 S4rs gets the 1098 motor?!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I hope they don't make clip-ons standard. The tubular bar, upright dirt-track style is what made the Monster something different than a crashed sportbike whose owner couldn't afford new plastic. What I would like to see is a four-valve engine with the plumbing hidden a bit. The engine on a monster is part of the look ad this is why the 4-valve bikes have never worked for me from a looks standpoint. Evolve the 999 engine aesthetically. It's got enough power for 3-4 years. Now make it look good; polished cases, hide the radiator someplace (in the tail with a fan?), route the plumbing in a hidden area etc. I know all of this is hard due to emissions and other constraints, but with the Monster looks are it.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
The factory is considering nixxing the monster model for 2009 and focusing primarily on offering the Superbike models, hypermotard, and sport touring bike. The beloved Supersport model will also bow in 2009. :embarassed:

This is not speculation as I have a motorcycle journalist friend with connections in Milan. (and also why I didnt buy a monster, but a 1098 instead)

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
jadesportster said:
The factory is considering nixxing the monster model for 2009 and focusing primarily on offering the Superbike models, hypermotard, and sport touring bike. The beloved Supersport model will also bow in 2009. :embarassed:

This is not speculation as I have a motorcycle journalist friend with connections in Milan. (and also why I didnt buy a monster, but a 1098 instead)
'The beloved supersport' maybe...sales are very slow on that model.
The Monster is their best seller (by a wide margin) according to their investor press release info

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The only thing I would change is puting a 749 plant in an S*R style set up. But, the radiator needs to look more integrated. Perhaps under the seat with air ducted through. I have seen it done on another bike. Can't recal which bike though.

Oh yeah, and it needs to be offered in flat black (dark) with a red frame. I have my money waiting.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Hows 'bout a carbon fibre monocoque? The trellis frame will always be cooler in my mind, but I thought this look might take it to another level.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Templar said:
Step 1: Insert engine from 1098

Step 2: Add Clip-ons

Step 3: Add steering damper

Step 4: Done

1098 r [thumbsup] ;D

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
What Matt C. said, plus make the engine look better. The current mill looks fine, but how about a polished case look a la the 70s roundcases? That could be beautiful. Why not a 4-valve, air-cooled engine? If BMW can do an air-oil cooled 4-valver, why can't or shouldn't Ducati?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
pennyrobber said:
The only thing I would change is puting a 749 plant in an S*R style set up. But, the radiator needs to look more integrated. Perhaps under the seat with air ducted through. I have seen it done on another bike. Can't recal which bike though.

Oh yeah, and it needs to be offered in flat black (dark) with a red frame. I have my money waiting.
Benelli Tornado

1 - 18 of 18 Posts