Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all,

I'm recovering fairly well after last Tuesday's crash, but unfortunately the 695 is not. Marcos told me Friday night that according to his estimate, the bike is totalled. This is of course based on total part replacement rather than paint on the tank ($1800), among other things. There is some grindage on the fender, fork, and wheel, as well as the exhaust that is all cosmetic in nature. I could probably have the tank painted for about $300, I've already got a new exhaust system on arriving this week, but even with those concessions the repairs still probably amount to more than half the value.

I've already installed the aftermarket performance chip, that if it is totalled, I plan on taking out to reclaim some value.

Do I settle for a little cosmetic imperfection left after main repairs and repaint, or let them total it and start over (s2r 800/1000 sounds nice)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
That sucks dude. Upgrading is always fun, that's what I'd do. If you do decide you want to rebuild it, I have some S2R 800 take-off forks, PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you feel the need/passion for an upgrade, enough said, no argument, but if you can get her back for a steal, then love her, fix her, and make her your own.

I am fixing my totalled S4R.

·
Registered
338 Posts
beyote said:
If you feel the need/passion for an upgrade, enough said, no argument, but if you can get her back for a steal, then love her, fix her, and make her your own.

I am fixing my totalled S4R.
I agree, I did the same thing to my S4

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash, hope you´re feeling better and didn´t injure yourself.

See if you can fix the bike economically.. ie. not splashing out on the new tank etc., then if you´re still not happy with it.. sell it and use the cash towards the new bike!

Regards,
NuTTs

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
You have to weigh your options. Will your insurance rates go up if you put in a claim? If rates would go up and the frame is not bent, I'd just rebuild the bike...it won't cost as much as you think. You'll save more money in the end taking care of things that way.

Why didn't you get an S*R to begin with if you are thinking about getting one now, so shortly after buying your 695?

Paint tank, new (used) forks, front fender, axle? should total less than $800 and you'd be out at least $500 just for your deductible on a claim so....

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was in the same boat as you less than three days ago. Total or rebuild, total or rebuild, total or rebuild. Mine is a '99 M750, so I wasn't getting much money regardless of what I chose to do. I decided to keep it and rebuild. Gonna need a new frame lots of odds and ends, but I still decided to keep it. I've had it for five years and shed quite a bit of blood, sweat and tears over it. Can't let it go. Flawed though my plan may be, I just can't let her go. :-\

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Chchadder said:
Well all,

I'm recovering fairly well after last Tuesday's crash, but unfortunately the 695 is not. Marcos told me Friday night that according to his estimate, the bike is totalled. This is of course based on total part replacement rather than paint on the tank ($1800), among other things. There is some grindage on the fender, fork, and wheel, as well as the exhaust that is all cosmetic in nature. I could probably have the tank painted for about $300, I've already got a new exhaust system on arriving this week, but even with those concessions the repairs still probably amount to more than half the value.

I've already installed the aftermarket performance chip, that if it is totalled, I plan on taking out to reclaim some value.

Do I settle for a little cosmetic imperfection left after main repairs and repaint, or let them total it and start over (s2r 800/1000 sounds nice)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
That sucks! I had a similiar incident and chose to sell the bike to buy a new one even though the damage was not that bad. My bike was used and the replacement parts were more than the bike so I figured why not just sell it and upgrade to a bigger bike?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, but glad you're ok.

From my experience as a shop working with insurance adjusters, there are 3 options:

- total :: Here, you get what the insurance calls "market value" for the bike and it goes away to auction-land. Insurance companies will try to screw you with the "total" amount. Be sure the $ you get is a fair "replacement cost". Since your 695 is new, you should be ok.

- rebuild :: the means compromises since in your case, you are simply lowering your claim until it's under their threshold. Sometimes, you can negotiate with a shop to help out with which parts to do, or can you do some of the labor, etc.

- total then buyback :: if you want to keep your bike and fix it, this is a great option. The insurance company "totals" your bike and you get the same money as if it were totalled. But... you ask the adjuster if you can buy it back. Then they'll deduct $1000~$1500 from your "total" settlement amount. Then you get bike and money.

Ultimately, your insurance company's adjuster is the one who makes the decisions, so be nice to them.

Good luck,
Chris

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
j_merancy said:
Why didn't you get an S*R to begin with if you are thinking about getting one now, so shortly after buying your 695?
Wouldn't be thinking about it at all if it weren't for one dumbass kid who's probably running out into traffic again as we speak...

Total estimated damage is $7350...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts