Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

The featured monster gave me an idea.

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  xswimordiex 
#1 ·
The uber-naked monster on the front page gave me an idea for a really cool speedometer/tach. What if you created little metal hockey pucks the same diameter as the top of the forks and put little LED displays in them? Like one side for tach, the other for speedometer. Headlight indicators are useless and the display could flash between an alert and the regular display in the case of low gas or oil pressure.

I have a friend who is constantly making little doodads for himself on a CNC machine. I don't think it would be too hard to make the housings. The LED display would be harder, but where there's a will...

What do you think?

#4 ·
Danimal said:
Doesn't sound feasible to me. How are you going to make the gauge faces? LED's? No. Doesn't even make sense, explain further.

-Danimal
Well, just because you asked so nicely...

There are lots of generic high-intensity numeric LED displays on the market. Preferably circular, but square would work. As far as the tach, there could be an array of high-output LEDs from green to red just inside the outer edge of the puck - basically single LEDs recessed into holes. Or the tach could be numeric too. Programming a little chip to control them would be easy, I think.

Just imagine the tops of the forks about 3/4 of an inch taller with displays in the center. The pucks would attach to the hex-heads on the top of the forks, so that they're removable.

#5 ·
There is a custom chopper company named SWIFT, they have been putting small flush mount analog guages on there top triple since they started, so your idea could work.

#7 ·
Sounds cool, I like the idea. Infact might even steal it >:D. I had something similar but it would mean wrecking an upper triple...
The top tripple is removed and sanded smooth.
Pen/mark on the top tripple were you would have the LED aranged in order. (you need to think about were each of the LEDS would sit & what they would indicate).
Drill the holes to suit the diameter of the LEDS
Polish or paint top tripple or just clean it up well
Pop in LEDS and wire up as needed.
- Chris

#8 ·
Syd-Monster said:
Sounds cool, I like the idea. Infact might even steal it >:D.
Hey, feel free. I want to see it and I'm lazy so it's a perfect solution :)

I don't think you need to ruin the triple. You could just drill little divots in the hex-thinger on top of the clamp and screw little bolts in, horizontally, through the puck, which hold the display puck in place. Could be removed for servicing.

#11 ·
I think ebbot did something similar on his monster of the month, also, I think the first Hurricane that norm built had little LED lights drilled into the upper triple for shift and neutral lights.

I think if you machined down the stock risers, drilled out the riser clamp holes, diveted those, and added the LEDs there, it would work. But (if I understand) those wouldn't be gauges, right?? And it certainly would clean up the front end. This months, last and ebbots monster have probably been my favorites.

Good luck with this project.

#13 ·
Ok...I think this sounds like a cool idea....

And not to be weird...but take a look at the led gas gauges for the newer harleys. It's an accessory made by Harley I do believe in the parts catalog. They are badass...maybe if you could find someone who has broken one or doesn't want it anymore you could figure out more about how they work.

They are cool because they look just like plain chrome caps with no holes or indentions (identical to the gas fill cap) but when you turn the bike on, the leds under the chrome light up.

Hmm...maybe I'm being confusing.

I'm a metric bike lover/rider but work at a Harley shop....it pays the bills and I get picked on constantly.

Anyways, good luck.

#14 ·
pt33 said:
I would be a little wary of the visibility of the gauges being that small and far down. It will look clean though, just not that useful/informative while doing any spirited riding.
I agree

although, you could supplement it with a veypour HUD

Tuck the module under the tank so the bike has the clean look he is going after

but the useful info would be there on your face shield

G
#15 ·
A HUD would be the shiznit, especially if it's wireless, bluetooth or something. You could make the display programmable to show different things, predominant display of RPMs or Speed or even current lap time. Maybe even a map for the sport touring guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.