Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove down to the local CycleGear today and as soon as I took off my helmet inside, someone asked me did I own the Ducati outside with a trace of awe in his voice. I kinda liked that. He said any bike that did 150 was one fast bike. I just nodded and said it was fun.

Is this the norm for the Ducati's?

I also it my first pothole: [email protected] New England snows. Thank God no damage.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well, from my expierences, everyone assumes my bike will break the sound barrier just because of the name on the tank. It's kinda cool cuz the respect everyone gives it because it's a Ducati, but they never understand that's it's only a 620. I do enjoy when an elderly persone comes up to me and compliments my bike and goes into a story about how their frist bike was a Ducati and all the memories they have of it. It just reinforces that a Ducati is something special to a lot of people. Young or old, people always stop to look at a Ducati.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about the guy who asks how fast your bike must be. It is so annoying how so many people who don't know anything about motorcycles assume that the one factor that makes a bike great is top speed.

It just makes sense to them, that since Ducati is a nice sounding name, it is necessarily ultra fast. The way I see it you would have to be a moron to go 150mph+ anyway. So my Ducati that has a top speed of 135 and superior mid-range torque and style is the perfect bike...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Oh ya, but I totally agree that it makes me happy when everybody (bike people and non-bike people alike) look at my bike in awe everywhere I go. They can assume it has a high top speed if they want to...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah makes you feel pretty good, when we lived in GA I rode with some friends up to Savannah we parked the bikes on the street next to the pizza joint we were at. We were all sitting outside a few people would stop and look at the bikes the only bike they would take pics of was my 93 750SS, man did i rub it in to my partners who owned Jap bikes. Awesome feeling!!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I was at Frasers (Ducati importer/shop) in Sydney the other week and as I walked into the store (bearing in mind this store has one of everything) this young bloke walks up to me and says, "Wow, nice bike!" I was a bit confused considering there were plenty of Ducati superbikes ie 996R's and Multistradas, S4R's etc as well as my old Monster.

He walked out of the store and I watched and he walked over to my Monster and started admiring...the 999 Fila parked next to it! Oops he thought I was the owner of the 999. I talked to the owner of the 999 inside and he just laughed. Then I said to him, "Nice bike, mate". Well, I had to pass it on.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I met my friend a month ago at a car dealership to look at cars... There was a youngr kid that had just come back from his test drive and as I was leaving on my Monster He looked over with that look lil girls get when they see a Boys band singing on stage.. You know the hands to the cheeks and opened mouth and saying oh my.. totally know what he was going through, used to do it myself when I saw a 998 or Monster riding on the highway, except I kept it to myself LOL

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I still get that feeling on all my Ducs after years of them.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same here.. I went over to Cycle Gear and one of the guy's asked me what kind of bike I had, I said I didn't have one yet and then he asked what I want to get... I said a "Ducati".. Then he was like..."oooo.. big baller"... I just smiled..

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I'm stopped at the lights and a babe on my right rolls down her window, suspiciously eyes the vented clutch cover and asks "Is it supposed to sound like that?"

"Yep, dry clutch."

"Oh....hmmmm.....[begins to nod approvingly] Wow; nice bike"

I lied....it was a dude....but someday I'll get it from a babe ;D

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yeah, the Ducati does get a lot of looks from people in the know. Those familiar with the name are usually in awe. Those who have never heard of it always ask if Ducati is made by Suzuki. Always Suzuki. I wonder why?

Anyway, I was stopped in traffic once in bumper to bumper traffic. Well, some school kids were crossing the street to catch the bus and one of them looked at me and said in a very unimpressed tone; "Ducati. Man, you should be stuntin' or somethin' instead of just sittin' there." To which I replied, "Yeah, I would be but in case you didn't notice traffic is stopped. It's a little hard to stunt at a stand still." Kid replies, "You shoulda bought a Hayabusa." Too funny....

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I get the Ducati Effect everytime I see my own bike! I get a lot of looks too, like all of you do, and the occasional thumbs up or wide-eyed stare. People around my town aren't sure what to think of it. Hell, even some of the Harley guys wave at me.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...kinda going with that story...

MonsterVixen and myself are always tooling/cleaning/riding the bikes and often we are outside with the garage door wide open. Sunday we get back from a nice long ride and the local gang of neighborhood kids is walking around like usual (5-10 kids between 11-14yo) The one that usually says hello stops in the middle of the street, looks over and says, "That bikes looks a lot better with those plastics on it".. I of course reply, "This bike is called a MONSTER and it has never had plastics on it, nor do they make them for it".....he looks puzzled and in a moment or two he finally says, "well, it would look better with them".......

Needless to say I just told him, "OK" and let them be on their way. I took me a few years to accept and finally love the naked look so I guess I can flow with it for now.

On the other hand, it is really nice to see everyone look over and gather when two Ducs are stopped and setting off in the parking lot. I will never go anywhere that I can't see them nor will I leave them alone. I respect the older crowd and their "distanced" appreciation for the bikes and the younger crowd still pisses me off......LOOK, DON'T TOUCH :D

Out of all the bikes I have owned this one gives me more pride of ownership and a great feeling of self worth/accomplishment because I know what I had to go through to finally acquire one.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong

Liter

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about the pride of ownership thing. And what you mean about what it takes to acquire one. I'm trying to figure out a way to make the jump to an S4R this summer. The 620 was easy to swing....the price tag of the S4R is a little steeper. ;D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Ducati effect is the opposite of most. I love my bike, but in the track day world it is nothing special. And most of the people who ride track days know it.
I still get the standard street reaction. And I got pulled over by a cop last night to find out what kind of bike I was riding. But being at the track all the time puts it in perspective.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yeah, I did a track day put on by my local Ducati shop and I was the only one on a Monster. Hard to get props at the track.

But I did get props from 2 people on my bike. I passed an older 888 and a Aprillia Mille...but they were both first timers and made me look like Valentino Rossi. Still, they felt pretty bad being passed by a little old 620 Monster.

·
Registered
413 Posts
When I first brought my S4R home, one of my girlfriends daughter's friends (17 year old) said, " Thats not a fast bike...Yamahas are fast bikes ". What can you say :-[

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While washing my bike yesterday, I got teh "what kinda Buell is that?" Man that one annoys me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Funny story happened to me yesterday.
I was driving thru China town here in Toronto. Stuck in traffic. I look over to the right an notice this little boy probably 6-7 yrs old just staring at the bike. Next thing he does is wave at me with this big smile. At this point I wave back and am just laughing my ass off in the helmet. I look a little ahead and notice the boys mom looking back and screaming at the boy to come along. But nothing he is just standing there looking at the bike in awe. Finally i guess the moms screams get his attention and he starts to walk over but the whole time looking back and waving... Made my day. Hopefully we have a future Ducati convert in the future in him heeee.
Maybe he thought i was some kind of cool superhero all dressed in the black leather or something LOL ;D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts