Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what is it? The most annoying sound you've ever heard, or the most beautiful thing about your bike?
Personally, I switched from an M620 to an M900s for various reasons, one being the dry clutch sound.
This weekend I installed a long-awaited Rizoma vented clutch cover. Holy "music to my ears" Batman! :eek: It's louder than ever and drew a croud of neighbors from their homes! Everyone must have thought I took something apart and didn't put it back right. I loved that.
Is anyone else as in love with this sound as I am?
Do I need [smiley=help.gif] ? [smiley=laugh.gif]

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
First time I organized a local Monster group ride from the list a couple of years ago, a few of us were waiting on Littleton Common and a woman asked for help with a bike rack on her car. While we were setting her up, Tigre came around the corner with his booming high pipes. When cut the throttle and rolled into the parking space you could really hear the clutch (open cover), the woman we were helping said "ooh, that doesn't sound good"

Tim G. and I replied simulatneously "no, it soulds great!"

·
Registered
376 Posts
So this is what I think of the dry clutch: I have developed a remarkable skill in my 8 years of marriage, I have developed tastes that exist only in the fact that my wife dislikes them ie, pickles, tobasco, cigars,.....and the dry clutch. Normally I wouldn't like something that makes such a racket on such a beautiful machine, but when I first removed the gasket from the clutch cover, and fired up the motorcycle and heard the god awful clanging from the dry clutch, my butt puckered, until I noticed the grimace on my wife's face, and like Pavlov's dogs, a grin appeared on my face (with drool), I now love the dry clutch rattle. ;D (true story)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yep,

first time I demo'd the M1000, a guy there checking the cruisers said, "man, that thing has some serious valve issues!"

I know he meant the dry clutch, but I said, "yeah, they are desmo-DRONE-ic" smiled, and took off....

--MechaMonster--

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
DRY CLUTCH = ;D

I was offered a great deal on a brand new 2002 800 but I had to pass it up since it had a wet clutch. The dry clutch rattle is like no other, when you pull in somewhere only trained ears will smile. Pipes, no airbox cover and a venter clutch cover have a fantastic sound together!

Count my vote for HEAVEN!!

S

·
0 Posts
i'm so intoxicated by the clacketty-clack that i don't think i'd be interested in owning any motorcycle without a dry clutch. seriously. and that's kinda sad because there are a lot of great bikes on the market that could make excellent 2nd rides. oh well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i used to enjoy the tangity tang tang of steel dry clutch, but now I enjoy the more subdued aluminum...not as much tang in the tangity tang tang..

If ya know whut a meen?? wink wink nudge nudge.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I love it, best mod I ever did to my bike. I love watching my neighbors lights go on at 7am when I leave ;D

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get a 900 ;D - I did! You'll never regret it!
So, where can I post an MPEG I made? It's about 3-4megs? It's of my bike starting up with the new clutch cover on. It's rediculously loud and clanky. Maybe some folks here would get a kick out of it...Anyone want to host it ;) ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
i just got a new cell phone that allows you to record sounds to be used as a ringtone...

I am planning on recording my bike starting up and revving as a ring tone....How awesome is that??

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Hope the phone has better bass response than those I'm familiar with ;D

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The red spinny-thingy behind the billet-thong cover has a noise for the kiddies. It doen't get better than that!

The noise from the duc is glorious. It is a nice accompanyment (sp?) to the tenor voice of the carbon Termi's!

Rideon

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I like it on a good clutch (i.e. nichols basket w/ Barnett Al plates). On a worn out OEM clutch with like 1/4" of play it starts to get annoying because it covers up other great sounds that a desmo twin engine makes...

--Fillmore

1 - 20 of 34 Posts