Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I need a bit of advice. My 2nd hand eBay engine has aluminum (non-magnetic) splinters on the oil screen.

Is this the galley plug backing out?
Do you really have to fix it, has it been known to come out all the way?

If this keeps up I'm definitely going to buy a BMW or a Suzuki to ride during engine overhauls :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Probably :-[ :-\ :'(

I've personally had 3 engines with that. :p

Pull off vert cylinder and look down at left end of the crankshaft where the rods are. If you see round thing sticking out pointing out to the main bearings, then you've got it. My webguy's 94 m900 did this. His oil light started coming on at idle and slowly "got worse" to where it would be on at higher and higher revs until we decided to pull the vert cylinder and confirm.

Good luck....
Chris

·
Registered
555 Posts
on the older motors that used thin crank shims the plug could not fall out. what it could do is machine itself down until you wear a hole through it and loose oil pressure through the crank. I have seen them close to through but never actually go all the way. the other downside is that its kind of like having a machine shop working on the inside of your motor. how would you feel if I offered to throw aluminum shavings in with every oil change.

the newer motors use a larger crank shim and there is room for the plug to fall out once it machines itself thin enough. the newer bikes also have a more solid plug so that it wont wear through for a long time.

it is a bummer to have a motor that you know the plug is out on. I owned an older 4v bike that had its plug back out as well as a 96 e900. I know of quite a few people riding around with plugs out. no problems yet, but you always wonder.

want to play it safe? buy a ds1000 motor (no crank plug) or a 750 with a steel plug ( I have never seen a steel plug back out) or fix yours properly so you know its done.
cheers

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. I want to hear the engine working (god knows what else may be wrong) so I will ride it a bit first before splitting the case.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been searching old posts and have decided on a new plan. I'll ride it a while (100 miles) and lay it softly down on it's left side and pull the screen again. Lots of swarf=rebuild. And I'll make sure I have oil pressure before my first start by running it on starting engine without plugs.
<wishfull thinking>There is a tiny chance I'm the first to pull the oil screen in years!</wishfull thinking>
I'm terrified of pulling the primary gear again...

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I'm not clear on which motor it is...

when my alternator nut came loose, the shavings looked sorta like that. May be worth checking...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crash in MO said:
I'm not clear on which motor it is...

when my alternator nut came loose, the shavings looked sorta like that. May be worth checking...
Mmmm... that would be "good" news. Thanks for the tip. It's the '97 ST-2 engine and that is one of it's faults.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
With that many shavings on the screen, I wouldn't even crank it up again.

On the Monster, I had a flickering oil light after some hot laps at Homestead in Sept of 2005. I rode it for maybe another 500-600 track miles and heard a minor noise that I couldn't trace. It was the rod bearing spinning. When it finally started knocking (on track at Talledega GP last July) it was too late. Oil light came on and stayed on, the bearing was extruded out from under the rod cap by several (6) mm and the bearing journal had lost .120mm off of one side. That is fixable, but...

I just recently re-inspected that crank and found some damage to one of the crank bearing journals where some rod bearing material worked its way in between the crank and its ball bearing. So I have to take some more measurements, but it may be cheaper just to swap in the crank from one of the other motors.

One of my "new" parts motors had just a few aluminum shavings on the screen. When I looked at the galley plug it was already shaved down to where the screwdriver slot is almost gone. It's still salvagable at this point, but I will have to split the cases now.

My lesson(s) learned - don't run a Ducati motor that has already entered the slow self-destruct mode. And if you hear a strange noise, go ahead and find what it is with a good degree of certainty.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
so is this problem fixed with newer bikes? say 2001 M900?

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

I´ve had shavings exactly like that like 3-5 times. No problems so far, +120 000 km!
My well renowned shop said not to worry, sometimes they do that. But, of course,
I could have a problem showing up soon.

Meaning: Something could be bad in your engine but you don`t have
to expect the worst! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I don't know how long the galley plug will last with shavings like that on the screen, but on the Monster's motor, I had about 1/3 that many steel shavings over each of two inspections, which would be about 1000 miles of running because of all the track usage, and then the rod bearing failed completely. I'm amazed that a rod bearing took that much abuse before totally giving up.

I was thrown off the track because the slight noise I heard in the motor I wanted to attribute to repeated broken collets in the vertical head. I should have known when I still heard something after switching to MBP collets that it was more serious - but hey! hindsight is always 20/20.

That many chips would lead me to at least pull the vertical cylinder and check the plug visually. When the plug fails, all oil pressure will probably be lost and bearings will fail within seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I know of quite a few people riding around with plugs out. no problems yet, but you always wonder.
Probably what I`ve done since my plug is now moving freely :'(. Splitting cases next.
Is there a permanent fix for this plug issue?
Want to have it fixed best way possibly since I have to split.
What`s the worst damage the plug backing out can do (before altering oil pressure that is)?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If the debris is magnetic, check the alternator nut first, because its easier.

If the debris is non-magnetic, plan on opening the crankcase. On the parts motor I bought with the oil galley plug backing out, the aluminum chips in the screen were like the classic fingernail clippings description - no long or spiral pieces.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts