Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the valve guides on my 94 M900 with 27,000 miles. After a track day about a week ago it started smokin pretty bad. Looks like the inlet guides are worn (about .003 over). While removing the rocker arms, noticed the horizontal closing rocker flacked pretty bad where it actuates with the cam. Looks like the pics I have seen on the 4V problem. Only one rocker had the problem. Sending it off to get replated. Question, how many others have had this problem on their 2V motors? How many miles before it occured?

Mike G
www.emsduc.com

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Boy that is a rarity, I havent heard of many 2v motors with that problem.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Chris Kelley mentioned that he had seen it on one 2-valve engine. I've never heard of anyone else seeing the problem.

T

·
0 Posts
Generally a 4V problem...this is only the 2nd 2V I've heard of with a flaking rocker (the one Scott referenced was the other).

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty meticulous about maintenance. Have always kept the valves with in spec. Have always used synthetic oil and changed at least every 3,000 miles. I dont rev it much past 8 K cause the power drops off. I have done 3 track days and I really rung it out this last one. I do ride it hard on the street too. I am addicted to pullin the front end up! I did send the rocker off to megacycle, so should have it together soon. This bike has been somewhat of a problem. About a year and a half ago, a main bearing failed. I found some of the plastic cage in the oil. Luckily I caught it before the anything else was damaged. Quite a job to pull the engine and the cases and replace the bearing, but no problems with it since. I am thinking of getting a 4V for track days and hot rodding around. I say you always need a second bike when working on the first!

Mike G
2V and 4V Adjustment Shim Kits
www.emsduc.com

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had two on a used 93 900ss I bought a couple of years ago. I have heard of others still no where near as common as on a four valve. I would send it to MBP half the cost of Megacycle and just as good if not better.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This may have been covered already but what EXACTLY is the deal with these "flaking rockers". What's happening to them, and why isn't it fixed. If it's such a problem on the 4v's why doesn't someone produce some rockers that don't flake?

Does Ducati have a problem with their metalurgy (right word) or what? My buddy had the suspension rod on his 748 break in half. Someone here had a DP clip-on break in half where it goes around the fork tube while unlading the bike off the trailor for a track day. And someone I meet at the CSBS said something about a part breaking on his 996, can't remember what exactly but it was along the lines of a solid metal piece just BREAKING.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
My 97 m900 had a lot of bad rockers. Then i got a set for free from someone with 96 900ss and half of them were bad, too. Still, shouldn't be anywhere as pervasive as desmoquattro bikes. (let's hope testastrettas don't show it at all...)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Oh, I reckon I would consider 2V problem the same as anyone manufacturing chromed rockers... pretty infrequent, but does happen. You'll see it with every brand eventually.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Mike.. the 900 motor that I built this winter for my 750 had a rocker flake. Hmmmm.... two 2V flaking rockers in Sacramento..... how bizarre! [smiley=grin.gif]

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi James,
That was the motor from Brandons bike, right? Also, we are going up to sand mountain on the 23 rd of April, you are welcome to come if you would like.

Mike
www.emsduc.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts