Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
'Kay so I have my permit okay,....

And I really don't have the 200 bucks to shell for the MSF class, yet any way, sooo against all the recommendations Ive been riding, very carefully might I add

So the other day Im at DMV and Im attempting to practice the Circle, Im sure you all know, ........soo I manage to dump my bike :p :-[ :(, and break the brake lever,......other than that no damage, pisssed me royally, hurt my ego cuz at the time I wasn't even moving, just lost my balance, Anyways

So the other day I decide to go back and try again, this is after a few rides with my father and some twsities and what not

Still had the same problems

didn't dump it but felt really umcomfortable while doing the circle, which I wasn't stayin' inside of at all and felt at any moment I would drop it

So I need some advice, First off You don't have to tell me what a Squid I am riding without license, and MSF, but when you can't afford it and you have a Duc parked in your garage,....for me ....I can't resist but take a few rides

So how do you do this circle I was finding that its more of an upright turn the handle bars type of turn and counter lean and I think Ive masterd the clutch enough to where I can feather it to keep speed down but any poniters cuz it was sketchy, and Ill be damned if I dump My Duc at DMV again!!!!!! ::) ;D....any advice is appreciated

once again I probly sound like the biggest squid, But im tryin'

P.S. Please send Msf donations to "The Niffler Fund"

thanks guys in advance

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
The DMV circle is really tough to do on a Monster b/c of the limited steering lock. You'll end up slipping the clutch like crazy and you have to really weight the outside peg. At my DMV the guy administering the test cut me some slack, knowing what a challenge it was on a Ducati.

·
Registered
724 Posts
ehh. in illinois you don't have to take it on your bike (at least i think...)

when i took the MSF course, i got to use their bikes (150 or 250cc somethings) so that made it easy...

point being: if you're having trouble doing it with your bike, try to find someone who has "less" of a bike (weight/power wise) and it'll make life easier...or maybe rent one or something?

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
... save up a little cash, or borrow some money from the old man to take the MSF class. By taking the class will you won't have to take the driving part of your DMV test.
... no more DMV circles, no more dumped bikes... problem solved.

if you can afford a new Monster, scrounging a couple hundred extra bucks to put towards a good cause shouldn't be too difficult (I hope).

I know it's probably not the advice that you were looking for so if the MSF is out of the question, I agree with borrowing (or renting) a smaller bike to take the DMV test. Monsters don't handle too well under very low speeds (especially when you're still getting the hang of things).

Whatever your choice, good luck and keep practicing!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Our instructor did the MSF course on a goldwing, so it is probably theoretically possible, just not easy with a Monster. Even on the 125 I used, it was sterring all the way to the locks, and then counter weight with your body.

mitt

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i hate doing little circles. and, as the above posters said, the monster is not an easy bike to do them with. if you can't take the MDF course now, rent or borrow a 125-250 cc dual sport and take your road test. riding without a license can get you into too much trouble.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about the California DMV test.

The circle is about the same diameter as what a Monster turns when at full lock. I live about a mile from a DMV site and stopped in once to try it on my Monster. You're supposed to go around the circle 1 1/2 times but I only made it 3/4 before having to put a foot down. I wasn't interested in continuing, but you can get the bike to turn a bit sharper if you lean the bike in by leaning your body out.

If it were me, even though I have decades of riding experience, I would take the MSF course rather than try that circle on a Monster. And there's no way I could make it around the circle on my ST2.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Are you feathering the rear brake? I will admit that even with the 250cc I used at the course, I had some problems because of my total lack of experience. No one told me that the combo of light rear brake, high revs (must keep revs up!) and feathered clutch was the way to go. Also, do NOT look down... head and eyes lead the way. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I can't do a circle like that without putting my foot down, & wouldn't even try. When I got my license (about a hundred years ago) there wasn't a specific standard, so the officer told me to go up this gravelly alley near the station & do a U turn without putting my feet down. I was on a Goldwing at the time, & told him I couldn't do it & wasn't going to try, & he gave me my license anyway for exercising good judgement. Ever since then, I've just transferred the license from state to state & have never had to take the test.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I wiped the first day I rode my 750. I am a total beginner but I was lucky since it was at a very low speed. [email protected] sand. You got your drop out of the way early like me. Now to replace that little damage with cooler aftermarket parts.

Now lets both know better and be glad the speeds were low so little damage was done. The people who wipe at high speeds are the ones with the real problems. A lot of damage to the bike only if they are lucky, they are not hurt.

I have a similar problem as the eariest I can take the MSF course is in July and I need to get my license by June 28 even with an extension. Just practice and maybe ask for some help from your local instructors at MSF. I am going to go to see them early and ask for help. I am going to find out what is on the license test and work on all of it like they do in the MSF course.

Good luck,

Tom.

·
Registered
724 Posts
also, and as far as the MSF courses: they're probably all booked. i usually overnight my check (and so does everyone else) and they all get booked within the first couple of days!

so for my beginner one, i ended up taking it privately at a state certified place. so look for those too if you get discouraged because all the state ones are booked...or try showing up and seeing if there are any "no shows", and try taking their place...

the course here is only 20 bucks, and you can get your money back upon completion (however, everyone usually donates it to the program anywho....)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
so for my beginner one, i ended up taking it privately at a state certified place. so look for those too if you get discouraged because all the state ones are booked...or try showing up and seeing if there are any "no shows", and try taking their place...
I did the no-show thing and it worked. There would have been several other spots too because people didn't show up or they dropped out after the first lunch break.

mitt

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Save your money and take the MSF as soon as possible.

Now to help answer your question:

You need 2 techniques to do this skill test:

The first is to learn to drag the rear brake and feather the clutch. This will allow you to be more stable at lower speeds. From a standstill, hit the gas and slowly let the clutch out to it's friction point. As you start moving, lift your feet and gently apply the rear break to slow you down. Keep a balance between the power and the break to control your speed. This keeps force coming from the rear wheel, which will keep the bike upright.

Secondly, You can achieve a tighter turning radius with counterbalancing. As you are turning, Lean *away* from the turn and push both grips in towards the turn. Almost like you want the bike to lean, while you stay vertical. Keep the first technique in mind to control your speed. Make sure you are always looking about 1/4 of the way around the circle, and not right in front of you.

Note that counterbalancing ONLY works at very low speeds.

Hope that helps. Start with a larger radius circle and slowly work your way down.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
The no-show thing. Did you ust show up at the first class and hope. The instructors said you could take the course since people did not show up?

I am signed up for July but the no-show thing would be great for me since I would only have to take the written course to get my license.

Tom.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I took the test (mid-80s in PA) we had to do a figure-8 in a tight area. It was designed for failure so you'd take the course. Plus, it had armco on the outside - no nice white line to cross. Three sided cage with only one side to bail out on.

My solution - practice, practice, practice. I took a SRX 600 (which is/was very similar to a Monster in size and layout) through the course and past first time. I practiced in the driveway for several weeks first. (I had several years of offroad riding experience.)

My advice - get your buttock off the seat (it should hover over the seat or at least be an inch or two in the air), all of your weight goes to the outside peg (think motocross style ) - you way even kick out the inside leg for balance (keep it low and out -it is for balance). You can't be siting when you do this!!! Lower the center of gravity on the bike by in effect standing on the outside peg. It will be easier to balanace. Siting is the most unstable position to be in (higher center of gravity - for the bike). I don't get any satisfaction from draging the rear brake on a monster (I find that works better for low torque engines that need to be at a higher RPM). Slip the clutch - use the power to hold the lean or pick it up. Then practice! If you can't turn your monster to stay in a white line what are you going to do at 60+ mph when you cook a turn?

If you can't get it done on your own, then take the MSF. Try picking up a shift a Burger King - it will be worth it. Otherwise you are going to crash and make an insurance claim which will run all of our insurance premiums up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry, but What do you guys mean with the "circle"????
Here in Oregon the driving test has 4 parts:Turning (cornering), the cones, braking and swerving.
FYK Also here (I don't know if your state does too) you can get for $13 a learning permit if you past the knowledge test and with that you can ride on day hours (not at night) with somebody how is endorse.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
i know here in missouri, you can take the course at most of the big harley dealerships, and they'll put you on one of their buell's. I would recomend this, as you aren't likely to finish the class without failing, and you don't have to make an appointment with the HP to take their test.

Probably different here in missouri.

But i'm with the other guys on the cost issue... if you can afford a new 620, and insurance, you should be able to scrape up the 2-300 bucks for the msf course.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
ROFLMAO........

Thaks Guys......

Actually with the purchase of the bike and my rent, and my car payment, and all other factors, yeah it is a problem for me to fork out 200 bucks for a class, but its is priority one, after my 600 service that is, Im only 24 and am not as well off as some others, actually Im starving but I havve a DUC!!!!!!

thanks for the advice I was oblivious to the fact of the rear brake and the outside lean so Ill try it

pshhhhhhh......

Sounds like I need to hit the parental units up and just get the dough for the class

then no circles and license after the written test at DMV, but thanks guys for the info, after 24 hours there's already 2 pages...heheh popular site........ohhh by the way its raining , Id better go cover her up for the day and get the truck out of the carport

Nif

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
The MSF class in MN is only $105 or so. Had to do the figure 8 in a little box which was by far the hardest part. It's a lot easier on a little 125 'Zuki with a wet clutch. I wouldn't want to even try in on my Monster with the dry clutch. Well worth the money for the class and a lot of insurance places give you a discount for taking the class. It'll probably pay for itself in a short time. Cheers,
Hanns

1 - 20 of 33 Posts