Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . is now GONE!

I didn't want to do the chop but I did want to minimalize the tail. My friend and I hand fabricated the light brackets, license plate bracket, and cover plate out of aluminum and painted them black. The turn signals are Lockhart Phillips brushed aluminum. We ran a wire from the brake light

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It took me a few years to realize that the two tubes sticking out behind the tail light weren't doing anything useful. I finally gave in and cut them off. I've never seen a Monster done quite like yours, so you get bonus points for being unique. Keep thinking about it and eventually you should work up the courage to cut those tubes so that your tail is properly shortened. Looks like you won't have to do anything else but cut the two tubes.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put my turn signals into those holes. They look allright, but I'd rather cut them shorter, then stick my lights back in 'em.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott,

One of the parameters for customizing the duc was to keep it in a state of "backward compatibility" - if I should want to sell her I'd like the buyer to have the opertunity to start from scratch if they prefer. It's just a re-sale position. I think I might want to get a Multistrada when I "grow-up" but I don't think I'll ever want to sell my first motorcycle.

Once I get a proper shop I'm giong to revisit the usefullness of those two bars . . . ;)

jb

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
One of the parameters for customizing the duc was to keep it in a state of "backward compatibility" - if I should want to sell her I'd like the buyer to have the opertunity to start from scratch if they prefer.
That was my argument too. Then after a few years I finally figured out that there was no way the bike was ever going back to stock condition, and that gave me the courage to cut the rear. Once you've made enough modifications, you might come to the same conclusion too.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kept mine due to the fact that with several bikes in my garage the back section of the frame is the easiest wat to swing the rear end around just grab lift and viola! But that is what helped me make my decision to keep mine.. still relocated plates and lights and did some custom fiberglass resin work on the old turn signal mounts. I'll have pics posted soon!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bike looks great w/ the duc bill removed. I am with you, I just cannot chop the frame on a new bike. I am just thinking structural rigidity in the back of my mind.

I am currently doing a similar setup to my bike, using stainless steel instead of aluminum. I am also thinking about mounting my turn signals off of the license bracket so my wife doesn't kick them off. Your bike looks very clean and the black frame helps to hide the remaining tailpiece, great job!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MonstaS4!

Stainless steel - you got it. Hindsight being 20/20 SS is the way to go; corrosion resistence, malubility(sp), appearence. I was planning on doing a custom dual headlight set up using the aluminum for the brackets, but it's just too dang hard to work with. Stainless might be the answer - we're not talking about a huge weight difference . . . hmm.

Oh yea; my wife - not alowed on the bike. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Make sure you use a stainless compatible blade or machining bit or you will burn them up. I went through 5 end mills before I learned my lesson. Here a little tip for you, instead of trying to leave the unfinished surface or polishing the stainless, sand blast it with a coarse sand then follow up with a glass bead and you will get a nice anodized/mat finish. As soon as I get mine done, I'll post it. I am too busy riding to tear it down for a couple of days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts