Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

461 - 480 of 739 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi guys and gals and welcome.
If you need any help, I think you'll find that "this place has got everything." (quote-blues bros movie)

;D

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
G'Day guys. Well I'm not a Monster rider yet but am giving it serious consideration and would love some input from you.

I currently ride a Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm and want to upgrade.
I've always wanted a Ducati and as I've grown older (read more mature) the Monster
has become the bike I think I should move to.

I defiinitely want to go to the 1000 and would love feed back on the 3 models.
I mainly commute these days with the odd long haul trip but mostly weekend blasts
through the hills of Victoria.

Here are some of my questions.

What do you think I will notice in difference between the FireStorm and the Monster?
Is it worth the extra money to go for the S4R or the even higher speced machine with Ohlins?
With such a small tank what is the real world range of the Monster in the city?
Should I buy new or look for a good second hand machine? (don't really want to spend more than 20k)

I'll hopefully be taking a couple of models out for test rides after christmas so your help would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Do the test rides Sean... and post your questions in the general forum if you please, but the test ride will answer a lot of questions.

Mmick

·
Registered
326 Posts
Seanus63 said:
Should I buy new or look for a good second hand machine? (don't really want to spend more than 20k)
Sean,

check out this newly resuscitated thread on the fuel consumption (in Aussie, no miles quoted)

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=85055.0

Spider

·
Registered
385 Posts
Seanus63 said:
G'Day guys. Well I'm not a Monster rider yet but am giving it serious consideration and would love some input from you.

I've always wanted a Ducati and as I've grown older (read more mature) the Monster

I mainly commute these days with the odd long haul trip but mostly weekend blasts

What do you think I will notice in difference between the FireStorm and the Monster?
Is it worth the extra money to go for the S4R or the even higher speced machine with Ohlins?

I'll hopefully be taking a couple of models out for test rides after christmas so your help would be greatly
appreciated.

I can get as far as most people I know with 'storms. Smaller tank, but better economy. That's the S2R1k. With the somewhat lean but more than happy factory tune, and the O2 sensor unplugged for the last 4500km, I've received an average tank economy of 5.45L/100km, with the best a 5.0L/100km even. Economy is better in summer than winter by about 0.35L/100km. I get about 200km till the light comes on constantly.

S4R (and S4Rs) will chew more fuel. That's the nature of making more power. Eat more in, give more back.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Seanus63 said:

appreciated.

Riden both and I was glad to give back the Firestorm. Same fuel econ (S2R1000) Better handeling.

Rob

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
DUCMONROB said:
Riden both and I was glad to give back the Firestorm. Same fuel econ (S2R1000) Better handeling.
Yeah, I rode a Firestorm and a 900SS back to back - the Firestorm had racetech valves and springs up front and (I think) an Ohlins shock out back, but the feel from the Duc was _way_ better. The SS was significantly nicer to ride fast in twisty hilly roads... Admittedly I was two up on both bikes, but still... I'd take the SS over the Firestorm easily (which I gotta admit, surprised me a little, I was expecting more of the Honda...)

big

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hiya Guys

Just got my first Monster - S2R 800 (2005) and I love her!

Who: Leigh
Where: Perth, WA
Do: FIFO Admin
Ride: Black/Tangerine with black frame S2R800

I've had my 250 licence for 20yrs and rode a Suzuki GSX250 early on, but have been bikeless for about 10yrs. I've just gotten back into it. Went for the open class licence and picked up my Duc that afternoon. 3hr ride to get her home from Margaret River, but well worth the effort.

Looking at mods already, need to lower her (I'm 5'4) and get some of those termi pipes that sound so cool.....

I'm looking forward to summer rides (as soon as the temp drops, it's bloody hot over here!). My sis has a Suzuki Intruder so have a riding buddy....

I'm looking for clutch levers and rear set at the moment if anyone has any info on parts.
;D Leigh

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
hey Gang. I guess I am a new member as well. I never did introduce myself. Here goes!

Name: John

PLace: Edmonton (ish), Alberta, Canada.

Work: As little as possible :) / Oilfield Consultant

Favorite Bike: 07 S4Rs.

Think: Sometimes I do :) / That these S4Rs are possible the most fun I have had on 2 wheels. Very impressed :)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hi everyone!

Name: John

Work: Audio Consultant

Favourite bike: 1098s

Looking for: A cheap Duc to start!

Haha... just starting to look and learn about Ducs, hopefully will get one soon as long as its in my budget.

Cheers!

N

·
0 Posts
Hi John and welcome to Oz Monsters!

Audio consultant eh? There's a few people round here in audio and AV. What fields you work in?

I work in commercial AV and we also do large sound systems, but not ones for clubs - stadiums, performing arts centres and the like..

Cheers
Nick

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hi. I'm Mark, at Pyrmont. I went to Deus ex Machina at Camperdown today for lunch and finished up buying a 2005 620ie. Black with silver frame. Had no intention doing so, but had a ride and that was that. I pick it up next Saturday. So off the Hyosung and onto a Ducati. An expensive lunch.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
marque911 said:
Hi. I'm Mark, at Pyrmont. I went to Deus ex Machina at Camperdown today for lunch and finished up buying a 2004 620ie. Black with silver frame. Had no intention doing so, but had a ride and that was that. I pick it up next Saturday. So off the Hyosung and onto a Ducati. An expensive lunch.
Well done [clap] and welcome! [thumbsup]

N

·
0 Posts
Welcome Mark and congrats [thumbsup]

marque911 said:
...... finished up buying a 2004 620ie. Black with silver frame. Had no intention doing so, but had a ride and that was that. .....
I love quotes like that [clap]

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Yes, I'm still in shock to a degree. But very excited. I only got off my L's in June last year. Aged 52. Late bloomer ! When I bought the (mandatory?) Hyosung 250 at the Motorcycle Show I'd never ridden a bike. I didn't even know how the gear change worked. I'd been thinking of getting a second car for a while - MX5, Porsche 944, Gallardo . . . - the thought of a motorbike had never entered the vacant space between my ears. But on an uncharacteristic impulse I bought one at the show, and I've been hooked ever since. So I'm REALLY looking forward to getting on the Ducati and living the Monstrous life. The Hyo is a great starter bike, comfortable, well equipped (fuel guage, storage under the pillion) and not really enough power to get into too much trouble. But now I've got a real bike. Well, I will on Saturday. Then, straight to Frasers to get T-shirts, cap, stickers for the car etc. Sad, really. I'm looking forward to lots of runs with other Ducati riders. I'm not a racer (any more. I used to do a bit when I had a Porsche 911), but rides on country roads really appeal. See you on the road !

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hi Nick (goldfish),

Sorry for the late reply. A few people in Audio field rides? That is cool to know. I work with High End (not neccesary means expensive), commercial, custom and home automation in both audio and video. I think i pretty much covers everything! haha...

Where are you from Nick? Maybe we can catch up!

Cheers!

Great forum!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
marque911 said:
Hi. I'm Mark, at Pyrmont. I went to Deus ex Machina at Camperdown today for lunch and finished up buying a 2004 620ie. Black with silver frame. Had no intention doing so, but had a ride and that was that. I pick it up next Saturday. So off the Hyosung and onto a Ducati. An expensive lunch.
And I thought I was an impulsive spender???? [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Well done and welcome.

Rob

461 - 480 of 739 Posts