Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ducati website has been updated with the 2004 line.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/index.jhtml

On it they show the new models including new mirrors [smiley=applause.gif] for all models, a six speed for the 620, limied edition, Matrix inspired 998 and 620, the Dual Spark engine, etc...

The new mirrors look like they hang out past the grips, but it isn't very clear.

Its worth a look!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Woo hoo! I like how they included wallpaper size pictures in all of the galleries. I don't remember those being there before! I'm going to have a field day making wallpapers! :D

T

·
0 Posts
Do you guys think that it is worth it to wait for the 2004 monster 620 with the new clutch and new mirrors or should i just try to score a deal on a 2003 monster 620? ???

My impression from the ducati web site is that the 2004 620 dark models won't have the new clutch so i may just get the 2003 model. I hear that the current monster's clutch is pretty hard to pull so i'd imagine that the new clutch fixes that problem. hopefully there's an aftermarket fix that can correct the unfriendly clutch on the 2003 model!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the clutch pull on the 620 is pretty lite compared to other ducs. for mirrors, i wouldn't wait, you can buy them late with you savings. clutch, mabe.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think Speeddog fit the 2004 mirrors from 108's bike on his S4.
Yeah, they went on no problem. As long as your mirror mounts are the M10x1.25 thread, with a right hand thread on the left side, and a left on the right, they'll fit.

They are better looking than the "mickey mouse" mirrors. Of course, that's not a very difficult thing to accomplish.
They do work better, as the mirror is a little further outboard.
The mirror is smaller, so adjustment is finicky and the field of view is modest.

They are a fair combination of aesthetically pleasing shape and reasonable function. IMHO, a great looking mirror that gives a good view is the holy grail, not likely to be found.

P

·
0 Posts
So what is so special about tehe 620 Matrix and 998 Matrix? I think its a lame marketing attempt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, forgive the scattergun nature of this post but I'm swamped at work. (Notice I can still take the time to talk Monster though...)

As a prospective 620 buyer, I'm intrigued and a bit perplexed. The single-disc-front-brake Dark is now in black only. Double-disc Darks now exist in silver and black. The single-discs have the 5-speed transmission, all others have the new 6-speed tranny. The bike comparison stuff says that the Dark will have sprockets 15/46; the standard will have 15/48. I assume the double-disc Dark (DDD?) will have the same as the standard because it's the same transmission.

The standard, not either Dark, will have the new Power Torque Clutch.

Anybody have any thoughts as to how these things will affect the 620 I've been drooling over? The 6-speed tranny sounds like it would be worth the price of a standard over a Dark to get the high-end. With the bigger rear sprocket, would there be a need to switch the front or rear? That was going to be mod #2 on my list after replacing the mirrors. And, now, with the new mirrors, I may even hold off on that.

To me, the changes all sound positive, but I'd be interested in some speculation from the gallery.

[smiley=goofy.gif]

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
In 2003, the 620 "Dark" came in both the matte black and the matte silver. They both got dual front discs for 2003. BTW, a 6th gear on the 620 is pointless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts