Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to upgrade my exhaust and intake. I've assumed the power commander was the way to go, but see some of you guys run the TFI. Any comments about which is better and why?

I'm planning on just pulling the airbox cover and running a K&N. But I am also considering the beast. However, I'm not convinced the beast is actualy any better than the standard open airbox mod, and it's alot more expensive. Technically, having a basic airbox is often a good thing, with the airbox resonance etc.
C

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TFI is strictly manual settings.
PCIII can be adjusted manually or electronically.
TFI's a great bargain for what it does, but the PCIII is much more flexible and offers a much wider range of adjustment. depending on how anal you are about fine-tuning your bike, the TFI could be totally fine. if you're nuts about squeezing every ounce out of your bike, using a PCIII with a custom-built map on a dyno is preferred but much more expensive (because you've gotta factor in dyno-time).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know anything about TFI, but the PC is pretty cool!

It has a lot of great features that allow you to do a bunch of things. You can run one of the stock maps that are set up for the most common setups (pipes and open airbox/K&N) and get great results. Or, you can have it dyno tuned to really dial in your settings and eke out every last 1/10 hp.

It also has very handy mixture adjustments that can be done in seconds. You can separately adjust low, medium and high rpm mixtures by just pressing buttons. Really cool! You can experiment around to see what works best. You can't really mess anything up, because its really easy to just have it go back to the baseline.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just posted about how pleased I am with the PCIII that FBF installed and mapped. I am also running their airbox conversion which consists of a BMC air cleaner and an aluminum frame that replaces the lid.I don't have any experience with the TFI so I'll shut up now. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only thoughts are that if you save x amount of dollars with an open air box versus pods and then opt for the PCIII route you have more adjustability, and can at any time throw it on a dyno with a competent tuner and achieve good results.
I think the TFI has made people happy here that have them and the market is sound in that it solves a majority of running issues when opening up the breathing and does so cheaply...although definitely not to the extent that tuners want to see, since the idea for opening the breathing is to gain performance...i.e. horsepower....then optimally it would be best to put er on a dyno....but not everyone lives near a dyno, or a good tuner...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts