Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I happened to be home today so I decided to suck it up and call the dealer and set up a test ride today. In the near 30 degree weather, it was freezing. This was the first real Monster ride I have been on and while I didnt get the opportunity to open it up as the sales guy was with me on a Sport Classic GT. My first impression is that the dry clutch grabs nothing like a wet clutch in my opinion, I also found the stock gearing kinda tall (atleast in first gear). Also the rear sets and exhaust kinda cramped my style a bit as I am used to riding on the balls of my feet (but I think it is something I can get used to) ;) my overall impression. the suspension was very stiff (ohlins units) which is good it means they are working and can be adjusted to my liking. I have to remember that I was also on very crapy pavement and city on off ramps. the power down low was very nice and the throttle response very agreeable. The one thing that really sticks out in my head is the very distinct vibration that Duc has down low. I am in love with it. only did about 60ish on the highway briefly but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. In short I want one.

the GT I rode briefly just to get a feeel for the DS1000 engine. it wasnt a weak as I had expected it to be but I was only able to drive it down the street and back so top speed of maybe 40mph cant give me much of an idea but it pulls nice from down low.

anyway overall I am happy I finally went and took one for a ride. I think I want an RS this way I wont need to upgrade (as much) down the road, now I just need to find a way to make it happen financially. ;D

·
Registered
498 Posts
They are awesome bikes! I love my little Maya to death! >:D

BTW; I'm 6'3" with a size 12, and also ride on the balls of my feet. You'll be delighted that with the Full 50mm Termi System the pitched out pigeon toed right foot position is eliminated by the addition of this exhaust system. [clap]

However the system does eliminate the O2 probe there by rendering it no longer a "Closed Loop" injection system. Your dealer will have to use a CO monitor in conjunction with their DDS to sync the throttle bodies, and trim the fuel/air ratio so that the output gasses register 3.9 on each cylinder. This will correct the overly lean condition that all of us Rs owners have experienced. [thumbsup]

Note: Your Tech will have to use the 999S model/window on the DDS to make the adjustments as the S4Rs model/window will not allow it.

Once adjusted properly the motor is incredibly smooth and progressive in its power delivery. [clap] It will pull strongly and evenly from as low as 1.5K all the way to the rev-limiter. Much Stronger and smoother than stock. ;D

WOT will result in power wheelies as the Tach swings past 7.5K in 1st., 2nd., and 3rd. gears, 4th can be coaxed up easily as well. She'll accelerate on top every bit as rapidly as on bottom (No waiting game here.) and will BURRY her speedometer about 500rpm shy of the rev limiter with stock gearing. [clap] >:D

Also use some "Lock tite" or a nylon locking nut on the back of the primary exhaust hanger bolt that supports the can assembly to the sub-frame.

There have been a few cases of this bolt vibrating out and the entire can assembly falling off of the bike. :'(

Also check to see if the additional 2CC's of fork oil was added to the unit you buy, as there were some that had some clearance issues with the front fender and radiator when under hard braking circumstances. :eek:

A recent service letter has been put out also, to have a boot fitted around the TPS pin connector also. (Possible corrosion issues)
I experienced this first hand with Maya but once the corrosion was cleaned and the codes reset via DDS. I have had no problems what so ever with her. [thumbsup]

Once you have set your sag (spring pre-load), and compression and rebound damping for your body weight and riding style.............
Raise her rear ride height by 1"in. (so long as you are not inseam challenged) and you'll swear she handles better than your TL1000! >:D

Hell of a nice bike my friend. >:D Great decision! ;D

Enjoy her in good health! ~SC ;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry Mate. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] I'm VERY biased, ;D and thought I would stoke your fire a bit. [cheeky]

I simply love this bike, and get a little excited when someone can see their true potential, and shows interest. [thumbsup]

Really the only thing I want to do to her is get the heavier springs for her forks and rear shock. At 215lbs she's a bit under sprung for me right now. ;)

I just get all warm and fuzzy inside with the realization of this much performance potential in a comfortable and drop-dead gorgeous package! ;D

With the S4Rs' you really can have your cake and eat it too! ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I keep telling myself, get the RS this way I wont need to spend as much down the road on upgrading bits like suspension and what not. I was very very very happy with my meek test drive yesterday. I am sure it wont be my last.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
sconly said:
yeah I keep telling myself, get the RS this way I wont need to spend as much down the road on upgrading bits like suspension and what not. I was very very very happy with my meek test drive yesterday. I am sure it wont be my last.
I think it's flat out amazing that you even get to test drive one. Our local dealer just sniffs at you if you ask for a test drive. The other day I was asking if a deposit on a 1098 was refundable (they won't be here until April, maybe). They told me "Hey, if you don't want to buy it then don't put a deposit on it."

I will say though that if after your second test drive you are still undecided then you really don't want one. The hook should be pretty strongly set after the first test. If you're not forking over money after the second test well.......... it may not be for you. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I would reiterate everything said here as “Spot-On”….especially Shadowchasers comments. Keep in mind how adjustable this bike is suspension wise too. The harshness you felt can be totally dialed in to your liking. I found the initial setup was not right for me, but with proper tweaking it is very easily the best riding and handling bike I’ve ever ridden. I did notice that the forks and shocks work even better now that I have some miles on her. Forks and shocks appear to need to break in a tad just like a motor does.

After setting up my pre-load (sag) for my weight, adjusting rebound and compression damping, I also adjusted the ride height like others. It really does make a HUGE difference. I heard a lot of talk about steering dampers possibly needed on this bike and other Monsters but never really felt the need until the ride height adjustment. After this tweak the bike steers way-way faster and is certainly a touch twitchier. A tiny trade-off in stability but you’ll like it and it’s definitely worth it! I did put a steering damper on after this and it takes that edge off perfectly. I cannot remember the exact ride height difference on the rear made but it was a 20mm increase on the rod length……this probably equates to close to what Shadowchaser has at a 1”increase. I also dropped the front fork about 10mm….2 lines down from the top of the fork tube. I can honestly say that this was a re-birth of the bike for me in the way it rides and handles. It’s so very worth the time to get your suspension right for you given these wonderful Ohlins!

The bikes’ second re-birth was the exhaust-ECU-airbox mod. Un-freakin’-believable difference!! Like ShadowChaser mentioned, the bike MUST be dialed in at the Dealer for these mods. It’s very essential and not at all expensive. We synched the Throttle bodies, adjusted the trimmers, set CO etc. as previously mentioned. Everything about the motor is so perfect now. The low speed and low RPM stuff is also very improved. Much smoother, much better on-off throttle transition and no more low speed stumblies. Of course the whole range is vastly improved but this all tells you just how very lean and restricted the bike is in the Stock form. This machine has so much potential just waiting to be unleashed and it would be a shame not to experience it.

I went with the Akrapovic full system, the Ducati Performance ECU and airbox mod. I really-really like the Akrapovic system! The sound is absolutely Melodious and it alone is a 9 HP gain! The throttle response is now almost like a 2-stroke.

The gearing was too tall for me like most other Monster owners felt. I put on a 14 tooth counter sprocket within the first 40 miles-----big improvement! I also did not like the heavy clutch pull and put on an aftermarket clutch slave at that time as well…also helped a lot. The ergos needed a bit of adjusting to get them to work for me, but I’m old and half wore out anyway! The Sargent seat really impressed me—big difference in my comfort and changed my lean angle just enough to make my back much happier. Then I went on to add the Genmar bar risers and CycleCat rearsets to give me some more room. I’m 6’2, with a 32” inseam and size 12 feet for comparatives.

Yes…..I did have to make some changes to her before I was satisfied completely. This *sorta* bothered me at first that I was having to do this. I first thought….”Gee..this is a $15K bike….why am I having to spend money on improvements right out of the chute?”. Well…..believe me----I no longer think that way! This is by far the most fun bike I’ve ever owned and I’ve been riding for 35 years. This was also my first Ducati experience. I would do this again in a heartbeat if it was stolen or whatever. I simply could not ride anymore if the S4Rs wasn’t part of my stable—this is a damn fun machine. And yes, to get that Full Ducati Experience, I needed to do all these things to really feel it. Trust me on this one---you will not be sorry……the hype is true….it’s that good!

Toad

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
When I had my DP ECU installed they removed my O2 sensor. My Arrow system has a port for it too. I questioned them about the removal and they said it wasn't needed. My dealer has a S4Rs setup exactly like mine and their bike dynoed at 136 rwhp.....

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Bill in OKC said:
I don't really mean to be a bigger a$$ than I already am but... WTF is a CO stepper moter? Do you have any idea WTF you are talking about? A Lambada probe? Give me a break - and don't give advise if you don't know what you are talking about.
Bill --- it's OK to lighten up a bit. He may have the exact terminology and spelling off a bit but that doesn't invalidate the comments he was trying to make. Hey, if we were overly picky then half the posts on this board would be missing.

BTW --- it's "motor" not "moter" and the proper usage is "advice" and not "advise". Cheers! :)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Bill in OKC said:
I don't really mean to be a bigger a$$ than I already am but...
Then don't.

Steve is one of the most enthusiastic Monster guys here and has done nothing but add positively, both with technical help and with ride reports and photos that truly reflect most people's love of Ducs. If something isn't spelled correctly it hasn't stopped my Ducati dealer from understanding what was meant.

Troubles with either the new s4rs or how dealers have been setting them up have been discussed by him in a positive and "let's just solve the issue" manner.

If you have to start your post with the above, maybe it's time to rethink the next sentance. Or are you trying to get the mods involved in another thread?

Chris

But back to the original topic, I must say that the bike is a different animal with the Termi kit installed. It's not the stock bike is bad, but once you start making it "yours" through suspension and ride height settings, little mods like mirrors and carbon bits, adjustments so the controls fall in the right spot, etc., it's hard to stop. I don't think I'd be as happy now without the instant throttle response and th nice spread of power with the Termis. If the bike is on your list, I think it's worth throwing in the price of the Termis and install in the negotiations for a final price.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You guys get me SOOOO fired up!!! I love my S4rs and have not made the above mentioned changes... The cosmetic stuff(mirrors, rear carbon fiber fender, and tail chop) will come first as I am not sure I want to surrender the Warranty for the Termi kit. I figure I can deal with the stock exhaust and system for 24 months as I live in New england and the bike is just starting its winter nap and won't have all that many miles put on her when its time to swap them out. I have a good deal of riding experience(25 yrs on the street) and am curious about the suspension being "Right" comments....I love the way the bike rides, i am 6', 200 lbs, and am curious as to what I may be missing when you say "right". I head into a corner, pick my line, accelerate thru it, and the bike is a champ thru it! I have not adjusted the rear height or stiffness/damping of front or rear. I am willing to play around with it, but not sure I understand the gains to be made....Help me out on this. Mike

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
PM sent. Termis absolutely don'e change warranty. Other systems can be argued about one way or another.

Glad you're enjoying the scoot.

Chris

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
As I understand the full Termi kit comes with a 2 year warranty, fwiw. cheers~!!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Statler said:
PM sent. Termis absolutely dodonehange warranty. Other systems can be argued about one way or another.

Glad you're enjoying the scoot.

Chris
As usual Chris is spot on - the Termi actually receives its own 2 yr factory warranty from the time of installation if purchased and installed by an authorized Ducati dealer. If you buy the system and install it yourself, then it does invalidate the warranty. Other systems MIGHT cause a warranty claim to be rejected, but it will need to be proven that the part caused the fault and only that portion of the system that the parts effect will be rendered invalide, and not the entire warranty. In the long run, I think it's prudent to go with the Termis, though there are several nice aftermarket options out there. Like Chris & Steve, I followed their advise and stepped up to the Termis - trust me there is no regret and the money spent is long forgotten and anyone (most importantly me) hears my bike, they know it's something special. Truly, I cannot stop grinning when I'm riding.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
guys dont get me wrong, I want one so bad but it will come down to finances. I could wait until I have the money put aside but I dont know that I can handle going an entire season with out a bike again, last time I did that I waited four years.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I've seen printouts of 129 and 131 with the Termis (not my bike, sorry). Different bikes, different dynos etc. etc. blah. blah.

Ride one that's been tuned to its open pipes and the paper graph won't mean crap.

;D

(but you know the s4rs is a POS right? You're not still getting one right?)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts