Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before on the main forum, but what's everyone's thoughts on letting someone test ride your bike that's for sale?

I'm not too keen on letting some stranger test ride my bike. I'm not really worried they'd steal it, but more concerned they might crash or even just drop it at an intersection or something. You know someone (even an experienced rider) on an unfamilar bike...who knows what could happen.

Any thoughts on what to do as a private seller?

Cheers

Choc

D

·
0 Posts
I was worried about the same thing when I sold my R6 not long ago. I had a couple of people turn up and test ride. I was lucky as I had my Monster then and was able to ride in front. I took their licence, after checking they had a bike licence, and had a simple form that said if they stacked, they paid. Not sure if it was legally binding but it was better than a verbal. Maybe you could arrange to meet them somewhere quiet and take the bike on your ute or follow them on a test ride. It's your bike and if they really want it they wont object.

What about taking it Noosa and putting it on display at the start point of the Turismo. Lots of exposure :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
its a tough one isnt it? :-\

when i sold my 250 a young guy came with his father. I didnt let the kid ride it, but the old man insisted on taking it for a test ride. They were serious buyers so I held my breath for 5 minutes, and the bike came back all in one piece and unscathed. They ended up buying it, so it turned out being a risk worth taking.

The other weekend i went and looked at a 1000Sie. I was genuinely interested in the bike and spent a bit of time chatting with the guy. I demonstrated to him that i knew a fair bit about the bikes and that i was serious about buying it.

Anyways, he refused to let me ride it. He said they were all the same and that if i wanted to see what it rode like to go down to Frasers and take one of theirs for a ride. I thought that was a bit arrogant and left soon after.

So by not allowing potential serious buyers to test ride it, could you be eliminating them?

I think you'll need to assess each potential buyer as they come to look at the bike. If they seem genuine about it, then maybe you should let them ride it. I purchased my 620 without riding it first. Probably not the best idea in hindsight.

Anyways, as the saying goes....... your bike your rules [cheeky]

good luck with the sale [thumbsup] mine is on the market soon too. be interested to see how you go.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Lots of sellers here (California, US) insist on holding the purchase price or a significant deposit in hand before allowing a test pilot. That takes some trust though :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
If I were selling my S2R1K I'd be asking for a $500 refundable deposit upon safe return of said machine, before a test ride.
That way you get rid of tyre kickers. Any serious potential buyer I cannot see could have a problem with this. To get to the test ride you must be serious.
There are to many people who are just test pilots. How do you think I felt when I was selling my R1.
Every little dickhead arround wanted a go. But it was put up or no ride. Worked out in the end no probs! [thumbsup]
Your right, it is arogant to say go to a dealer and ride his as you are not buying the dealers bike.
From the buyers point of view it is an unknown commodity that has to be tested. Remember that.

Good luck!
N

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good thoughts. I definitely need to find out if my insurance will cover any damage if it's crashed during a test ride.

If it does cover that sceanrio, I would consider allowing a serious buyers who looks like an experienced rider (wearing gear) to test ride. Maybe the deposit is a good idea also, or some form of written agreement that states if the bike is damaged in any way they buy it? That written agreement would surely spook anyone who's not serious from test riding even if it's not worth the paper it's written on.

For what it's worth, I would not expect to be able to test ride a 'nice' bike. If I did, I'd be as nervouse as hell riding someone else's baby. Test riding a beater would be fine, since it's older. With older bikes it's also more important to test ride to see how it is mechanically I guess.

Hmmmm decisions decisions.

Cheers

Choc

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spoke with my insurer (Western QBE), and riders my age or older are covered under my policy. Anyone younger is not covered.
Choc

·
Registered
388 Posts
Meet on neutral ground and have a 3rd party take the test ride.

A suggestion may be to meet at a dealer or authorised service centre, if you have a relationship with one. A genuine buyer wont find this an inconvenience but a tyre kicker will

My thought anyway
Palloka

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Palooka said:
Meet on neutral ground and have a 3rd party take the test ride.

A suggestion may be to meet at a dealer or authorised service centre, if you have a relationship with one. A genuine buyer wont find this an inconvenience but a tyre kicker will
Hey Palooka...Thanks for that. Couple of quick questions.

1. What do you mean by having a 3rd party take the test ride? If there's only me and the buyer there who is the third party?
2. Also, can you explain what the advantage is to meeting at a dealer (neutral ground)?

Cheers

Choc

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...here's what I'm planning on requiring before I let a prospective buyer test ride my monster. (This would be different for a friend who I trust and know to be an experienced rider of course)

1 - Firstly, are they capable/experienced motorcyclists? If I believe the answer to be NO, no test ride.
2 - Secondly, are they serious buyers or tyre kickers? If NO to any of the following than no test ride.
- Request significant deposit. 5% of bike value if my age or older. 10% of bike value if less than my age. This variation is because my insurance policy won't cover a rider younger than I am.
- Request they leave their valid motorcycle licence in my possession during the test ride
- Request they sign a brief 'if you damage it you pay for the damages' agreement. I know the agreement is only worth how much I'm prepared to chase them through the courts if the worst happens, but it's better than nothing.

Does this seem fair to you all? Would you walk away from a bike you were serious about buying because of any of this? To me it seems that if someone was serious, they should not have a problem with any of these points.

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Choc

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
if you make it clear when talking initially that a valid license and $1000 security deposit is the only way a test ride is allowed, you will weed out the timewasters straight away. after all, if they want to buy it a grand is a small part of the purchase price and can double as a holding deposit till the balance is ready. using a dealer or mechanic is a good idea, if the potential buyer asks his opinion, he'll have to be honest for fear of ruining his reputation (if he has a good one to begin with ;D). it's always a minefield, i hate the thought of anybody riding my bike, i've heard too many stories of friends hanging friends out to dry after a mishap.
good luck,
paul. [thumbsup]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts