Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in Davis, and looking into buying a Monster. I'm interested in the S2R and trying to decide between the 800 and 1000. I'm familiar with the differences on paper, but was really hoping to ride each of them to get a sense for how different they feel, if at all. So I went to Good Times in Sacramento, and they don't offer test rides. Are there any dealers in the greater area (within a couple of hours of Sacramento) that do?

TIA.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Most will if they have a demo available.. I'm surprised that Good Times won't allow a test ride.

The Marin shop does (Hattar), as does Munroe Motors in SF (and probably their East Bay store as well. Modesto Ducati also gets good reviews. I'm sure they'll allow test rides.

If it's not your first bike, it's a no brainer -- the s2r1000. The better brakes, better suspension and dry clutch make it worth it. Oh yeah, and its got more power. ;D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
+1 on what Spidey said. Hattar's demo policy is awesome, but make sure they have the bike you want available for a demo. Munroe's east bay has a nice test ride route around Lake Chabot, but I think Hattar's demos are the best (I took an S4R around China Camp before buying).

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Do you happen to know if Moto Meccanica in Sonoma does test rides? They're the closest...

I am leaning towards the 1000, but seem to have found a variety of opinions about the smoothness/responsiveness/driveability of the 800 v. 1000, both in terms of the engine and the clutch. So it seems like the simplest thing would be to ride them both and see which I like best!

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The 1000's suspension is superior to the 800 (completely non-adjustable). Also, the 1000 has a dry clutch vs. the 800's wet/slipper clutch - each with its advantages. I like the sound of the dry clutch (classic Ducati noise) and the functionality of the wet clutch (go ahead & ride in the rain).

Bang for the buck? S2R1000...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Moto Meccanica is in Santa Rosa, so Hattar's is actually a shorter drive from Davis.

Moto Meccanica does allow test rides on their demo bikes, but I'm not sure if they have any demo S2R's right now. A quick phone call will give you the answer... 707.578.6686.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
You may have some trouble finding a place that has both an s2r demo AND an s2r1000 demo for test riding. I'd call around and expect to have to hit two shops. Luckily, there are a lot of Duc places in the Bay Area, so you should be able to find something.

The only thing about the 800 that might make it smoother is the lighter clutch pull. But I've never really found the 1000 clutch to be a problem and there is always an aftermarket slave. In terms of engine, that 1000 is nice.

If you haven't ridden a duc before in stock trim, expect it to lug a bit at lower rpms. They'll all od that. It's not because of the bike, but rather the gearing. They're because they are geared ridiculously tall in order to pass EPA regs. $30 and a 14T front sprocket later and you'll have a much snappier bike with none of the low-end lugging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts