Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started installing my slip ons last night and was wondering if anyone could confirm that the nuts and the spring nut clips in the box are for the pipe in the rear. I am mounting to an '10 1100 and the threads are built into the bracket on the exhaust so I assume that is what the nuts are for. Would it kill Ducati to put anything such as directions that does not say please see your dealer.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The extra clips/nuts in my box were for the heat shields. Take one off the existing can and use the new one provided for the second bolt on the shield.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Did you do your own chip and air filter...anything special I need to look for when attempting those.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just disconnect the battery first, both are simple replacements of the stock parts. If you haven't done it before there is a top and bottom to the filter. If you have it backwards you will have a hard time putting it into the air box. For fun, start it with the baffles in and listen for 10 seconds. Your gauge cluster should say something like "1100 Race". Remove baffles and hide them away...now that is what a Ducati is supposed to sound like. By far the best addition to the bike. MUCH smoother and the sound is intoxicating!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just disconnect the battery first, both are simple replacements of the stock parts. If you haven't done it before there is a top and bottom to the filter. If you have it backwards you will have a hard time putting it into the air box. For fun, start it with the baffles in and listen for 10 seconds. Your gauge cluster should say something like "1100 Race". Remove baffles and hide them away...now that is what a Ducati is supposed to sound like. By far the best addition to the bike. MUCH smoother and the sound is intoxicating!
I could not agree more!

I have an M1100S with the carbon slip on Termi's and ride exclusively without the db killers and absolutely love the sound.

bsmonster - you said "intoxicating" and I would like to add to that "addictive" as well.

Rusty Blades - If you do some searching on this forum, you will find several opinions regarding the noise level with or without db killers. For me personally, I do not think the Monster is too loud without them and I do not want to known as the loud motorcycle guy either. To put the sound level in perspective, I rode with a co-worker the other day who had a HD Soft Tail with Screamin' Eagle pipes. I at one time was riding to his right about 1 bike length behind and I literally had to watch my tach for shifting because I could not hear my bike over his. I have posted on other threads that my opinion of the M1100S without the db killers is somewhere in between a stock police HD and the majority of HD's on the road with aftermarket pipes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing the HD sound to our beloved Ducati sound, I am only attempting to compare sound levels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try it both ways. The majority of my riding (or at least what I hope to be) is through the countryside and most of it is lightly populated so if it is a little loud that is good...maybe it will scare the deer and the turkeys out of the road before I get there.

Is there any noticeable difference in performance with or withou or is it all sound?

I must say I liked the sound of the factory pipe fairly well as far as factory exhaust go so I will be elated when I get it completely installed..hopefully this evening.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I will try it both ways. The majority of my riding (or at least what I hope to be) is through the countryside and most of it is lightly populated so if it is a little loud that is good...maybe it will scare the deer and the turkeys out of the road before I get there.

Is there any noticeable difference in performance with or withou or is it all sound?

I must say I liked the sound of the factory pipe fairly well as far as factory exhaust go so I will be elated when I get it completely installed..hopefully this evening.
Couldn't tell you about performance gains because my system was dealer installed at time of delivery. I do recall reading some posts on this forum with the opinions being split somewhat down the middle if there are any real noticable gains in performance.

I chose the carbon slip on Termi's for my M1100S not for any potential performance gains but more because I do not like the appearance of the stock cans. A side benefit to the Termi's is that they are nowhere near as hot to the touch as the stockers. This will come in real handy for you if there will be any occasional 2 up riding to be done.

My absolute primary reason to get the Termi's is that sound. You will soon understand for yourself why bcmonster and myself feel the way we do about how our Monster's sound.

Be sure to pass along your review for us.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have never run with the baffles in, but I cannot imagine that there are significant gains one way or the other. Even non motorcycle folks love the sound of the Ducati and it certainly is not as loud as my Victory or Can Am Spyder. You are able to ride through your neighborhood without pissin' people off....unless you want to!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished up installation of the slip ons last night.

Baffles out will be the way to go. I had the Baffles in and my father was assisting and he commented that it was not very loud when he was standing behind the bike. We removed the Baffles and WOW! I would not call it loud but it was the exact sound I was looking for on the bike. My dad said I should just throw away the db killers but I put them in the box with the stock cans just in case.

I must say I rode it with just the cans (have not swapped air filter and ECU yet) and all the popping and cracking from the stock cans was eliminated and the throttle response was much smoother. I am curious as to whether anyone else has waited for a while on intalling the filter and ECU?

One other comment/question standing behind the bike the right side pipe is slightly higher than the left. I tried everything to get them even but that is really the only way it lines up. Did anyone else have this issue?

Also are there Carbon Fiber heat shields available? I would like to exchange the Termi ones for something different.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine line up perfectly so I would loosen all the bolts and experiment a bit. Are you using the same mounting holes left and right??...there are two possibilities.
If you like the cans only you will love it with the new ECU. As far as the carbon there is a ton on EBay. Just make sure you buy from a reputable place, there is alot of poor quality carbon out there. Do a search here on the different vendors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bcmonster,

Would you happen to have pictures of your on each side and from the back(maybe I can see some way yours looks different). I tried loosening and turning but I still have the difference...may not be noticeable to some but it is to me. The way I finished last night all bolt alignments were perfect so I don't know what else I could have missed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry, Daughter on vacation with the camera so no pics right now. Just to be clear there are two mounting holes on the bracket that came with the pipes, where it attaches to the bracket underseat. Are you using the same hole on both sides? Also the bracket has some play where it attaches to the can. Are you loosening those two bolts as well? Really no other way to be out of alignment

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I adjusted where the bracket mounts to the can as much as possible, but I don't remember there being two different holes on the bracket where it attaches to the subframe under the seat. I will double check that tonight thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
On the top of the bracket supplied with the pipes are two holes where it mounts to your factory bracket under the seat. One for the stock plate mount and the other is for aftermarket plate eliminators. Is it possible you used one of each? Maybe you could post a pic since I can't?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, that was it. I moved the left side to the bottom whole and it lined right up. I was so happy I rode 350 miles on Saturday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts