Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a racing termi exhaust pipe on my 821 for the last 7-8 months (bought new) and noticed today that the 6 bolts that connect the pipes to the bracket seem to have some rust on them.

It is difficult to assess how badly rusted they are while the pipes are still mounted. In any case its very disappointing for a company with such a big name and for the price of the pipes to provide such bad quality items with their exhaust.
Rand mode off..

I was wondering if anyone here with termi's noticed the same

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
desmoheart,
although this could be one of the reasons generally speaking, its not applicable in my case.
Termignoni should be more careful with these things. The bolts are easily replaced if needed no big deal but the experience leaves a bitter aftertaste and makes you doubt the quality..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha I think that even in this scenario its hard to see. I only noticed when checking for anything being loose.
Mine is always parked outside too but under a cover. I agree with you its a minimal thing and hardly anyone can see it, but i was still not expecting it to happen within a few months.

p.s. Love what you did with the suspension ����*

·
Registered
44 Posts
The quality of the materials is not great. The pipes and cans themselves seem OK, but as you said, the mounting hardware isn't up to the price for sure. I have a full system, keep the bike indoors in a climate controlled area, and the first time I rode on a wet road they started rusting. Just surface rust, but might try to find some stainless replacements.

I had to paint the bracket itself when I took it out of the box. Had some scratches in spite of being well packed.

Not good value for money, but I still like the end result. I'm wondering if stuff like this is why Ducati is switching to Ankropovic systems going forward...

·
Registered
285 Posts
The quality of the materials is not great. The pipes and cans themselves seem OK, but as you said, the mounting hardware isn't up to the price for sure. I have a full system, keep the bike indoors in a climate controlled area, and the first time I rode on a wet road they started rusting. Just surface rust, but might try to find some stainless replacements.
A stainless screw on an exhaust system is a really bad idea...it may in fact still rust but will most assuredly shear off when trying to remove...the black oxide coating gives loads of bite which is why it's used...not exclusively for color...any alternative; given the working environment is going to have problems...try soaking the existing bolts in vinegar to remove the rust...it will preserve the coating...scraping and scuffing will only make it worse in the long term

·
Registered
44 Posts
A stainless screw on an exhaust system is a really bad idea...it may in fact still rust but will most assuredly shear off when trying to remove...the black oxide coating gives loads of bite which is why it's used...not exclusively for color...any alternative; given the working environment is going to have problems...try soaking the existing bolts in vinegar to remove the rust...it will preserve the coating...scraping and scuffing will only make it worse in the long term
Great information! Thanks. Not mention it gives me (another) excuse to just go out and ride the bike! :grin

That aside, I still stand by my statement that the general quality is only "meh", particularly for the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts