Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 monster 900ie. It has developed this annoying habit over the past few days that I can't work out. The engine keeps cutting out. Just once only, after it has got warm, it comes down to idle for the first time and it cuts out. EVERY TIME! After that it is generally fine, although it can get a bit shaky at idle in heavy traffic.

Electrics are fine (checked them)

Compression is fine (obviously)

So Its to do with the injection. oh no.

Whats going on? Is it a sensor - and if so, what one and how do I test? Is it as simple as a fuel filter or something?

I'm really stumped on this one.... ???

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It sounds like carburetor icing, except that you don't have carburetors.

When you're riding in the cold, maybe you just need to blip the throttle a few times when you first come to a stop after riding long distances, until it will idle by itself. That's what I had to do on my carbureted M900.

My personal solution to the problem was to quit riding in the cold and damp. 8)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I ride 30mi. to work every morning and after 25mi. on the freeway when I get off and come to a stop light the bike will sometimes just die . It starts right back up and then its fine. Now granted mine is carburated but I dont think its anything to worry about. I just figure its the cold weather (6:00 a.m.) cause on the way home it never does it.
It sounds like this is whats happening to you. Really I dont think its anything to worry about. If I remember to blip the throttle like Scott said it wont die and its fine. I think its the fuel condensating in those long intakes, they get really cold and then when its just enough fuel for idle it condenses in them and sticks to the sides.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I have experienced similar issues with my 2001 m900ie. I haven't really gotten a satisfactory fix or explanation yet, in spite of the $100+ I have spent at the shop. Last summer it was running rich, so they reprogrammed to lean it up. I took it in last month, and they said it was running lean, so they reprogrammed and replaced my spark plugs. The bike still has trouble starting once it's warm (it always starts just fine when it's cold) and will sometimes die at stops.

I think maybe I have just been expecting too much of the starter. I thought something was wrong because it didn't want to start without a little help from the throttle. I think needing a blip or two at a stoplight, especially after some hard riding, is acceptable... I suppose I'll just have to get used to the concept of having to hit the throttle to start a fuel injected engine! I was always taught to never pump the gas or give any throttle when starting a fuel injected engine, but that was on cars... before my Monster I had never ridden a fuel-injected bike. <edited for grammer>

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Did you get that e-mail? I'll send it to you. I'll have it faxed, too.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
So I've fixed it! and it was the simplest but the most obscure thing in the world. I thought I'd better let you guys know because I bet that there are some other ie owners who are suffering the same.
Well, you can see the symptoms above. Then when I went to fill up I noticed that it was heavier on fuel compared to how it used to be. Definately the fuel management system then.
Then I found where the temperature sensor for those engines is - right on the top of the horizontal cylinder right near the front behind the oil cooler. Hmm...... muck I thought - especially with all the wet weather we have been having. So I pulled off the clip (its a spring clip which slides out to leave a square cross section push in plastic connector) and it was all damp. I let it dry for an afternoon - and bobs me muvva's bruvva!
What was happening is that the water in the connection was changing the resistance of the temperature sensor so the management chip thought that the engine was running colder than it actually was. It therefore kept the mixture richer than was required and so all the stalling farting bad running etc.
;D

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Good Job! Thanks for posting back - You're right, sooner or later someone else will have the same problem and benefit from your sleuthing ;)

Another good item for a FAQ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts