Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature reading on my brand new '02 620D i.e. seems too high.

When I first got the bike it used to read "LO" when first started, now it just reads about 150 degrees Fahrenheit (even cold in the mornings!!!). It runs perfectly fine and there are no other problems.

I just took the bike in for the first service (600 miles) and pointed it out to them. The dealer first said it was somewhere between the ECU and the dash (gauges), and that they'd probably have to order a new dash (under warranty). Later when I picked it up, they said it was the sensor...

Now, when the key is turned to the "ON" position and the the left side LCD reads "NAInt" for a few seconds.. but the bike turns over and runs just fine.

Any ideas what's going on? Electronic gremlins? bad Flux Capacitor?

Cheers....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Your prudpusperator valve is jammed and the frimdamper is out of adjustment. Not to mention the condition of your muffler bearings.... ;D

Seriously? You have 2 seperate issues.

The "NAint" in the display is just the ECU telling you to go get your 1000 km (621 mile) service done. If you took it to the dealer before it got to that mileage, they couldn't reset it because it wasn't on yet. If you took it in after, the dealer flamed out by not resetting it. Seems to be a fairly common occurance.. :(
This thread has the cure:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bi...ech;action=display;num=1058358681;start=15#15

The flaky oil temperature seems to be a sensor issue, here's a thread with some info:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=forum1;action=display;num=1057684369

No solution, but I recommend having your dealer order the sensor, and you keep riding your bike so it doesn't sit at the dealer for a couple weeks waiting for the sensor to arrive.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
That's another thing I like about the older Monsters. They don't know when they're too cold or too hot. 8)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
my '02 620 is the same way in regards to the temp. I do let it warm up for a few minutes before I take off. Enough time for a smoke and to put my helmet and gloves on. Havent had any problems related to it. When the temp reads HI, or the bike is on fire-then you should be pretty concerned.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,

I'll try the "NAInt" fix from the other thread... I took it in with 602 miles.. so they were probably not able to re-set it (less than 621 miles (= 1000 km)).

... and I do have the bike with me.. I wasn't going to leave the bike there for a sensor problem.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
150 is too high?? I've been hittin the 250 range after a good ride. It always reads low when just starting, but after a little while it climbs.

M

·
0 Posts
On my 620d: 190-220 avg temp after about 20 minutes, highest observed:257

S

·
0 Posts
On my '03 620d I get 250-260 all the time. It must be OK, haven't had any problems yet **knocking on wood**. Maybe its the 95 deg temps here in Cali.?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh....allow me to clarify:

The temp reading (145 - 150 F) is the temperature displayed first thing in the morning.... before even starting the bike. The ambient temp in the garage, is probably around 65 degrees F. There is no way the oil temp could be 80 degrees higher than the room temp after a day and a half of not riding! If it is, we may have just found a super-insulator material... the metals used in the ducati motor block... ;D

When I first got the bike.. it used to read "LO" when it was cold.. then it would warm up... and slowly get up to riding temp. now it STARTS at 150 (or so...) and when fully warm it gets up to around 270 degress (as displayed by the dashboard read-out).

The dealer's diagnostic confirmed that the reading was too high. Apparently it has happened before... so there may be more people out there with the same issue who havn't given it much thought. It's not a serious issue of course, but still...

I guess a good and simple test (and one I haven't actually performed) would be to stick a thermometer in the oil (when the bike is cold in the morning.. if that's even possible to do physically..not sure), get the reading, and turn the ignition on (after taking the thermometer OUT.. and closing the oil cap) to see what the reading is... if they're different, either the thermometer used or the temp reading is incorrect...

N

·
0 Posts
yup, mine was reading about 50-60 degrees too high.
For the first few weeks, it would display 'LO' and then warm up just fine.

After a few weeks, upon start up, it would read already like 150 +/- a few, considering the garage I kept it in wasn't more than 85 degrees even on the really hot days, I figured it was a bit off.
At the first service they checked it and repalced under warranty, works just fine now.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
My '02 620ie Dark, bought new in Oct02, with 3400 miles on it, still reads "lo" when started. ;D

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not too concerned. Just waiting for the dealer to call and tell me the part is in so I can take the bike in. On second thought, I wonder if I could just grab the part from them and install it myself..it would be much quicker...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Might be some warranty issue if you DIY, but I'm just guessing.

Some of the temp sensors are a little fragile. If they break it putting it in, they pay for the new one. If you do it.....

Being self-sufficient is good too, I replaced my battery on my own nickle to avoid having my bike sit while I wrestle with DNA or the dealer.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good point on the warranty issue. didn't really think of that... I guess I'll let them do the work... it's just difficult to part with the bike and let some chump monkey with it... :'(

as for the battery, I have the "batterymat" in there right now and check for leaks every once in a while (oem ducati/GS battery with vent holes on top). so far, so good (fingers crossed).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts