Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how much temperature affects suspension performance (ie- colder temps = thicker oil). I've been riding in ~40-50 degree weather compared to 80 degrees over the summer and have noticed that my suspension seems much stiffer. Or at least much less dampening.

Opinions?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Temperature certanly will effect performance.
as you use your suspension it will warm the oil up and thin a bit (less damping). The problem with this is that on a street bike, the suspension is not constantly using its travel. by this iI mean a moto-x bike beats its suspension up because it is constantly hitting bumps (thats off road). A street bike sees much more time on smooth surfaces (hopefully on road) and the damper unit does not see as much action. Less action will take longer to get to temp, also the higher road speeds tends to chill the fork tubes. I have seen plenty of forks with a frost line, usualy @ the oil-level.

any time a suspension unit (fork or shock) gets run on a suspension dyno it gets pre-run to get the unit up to operating temperature......before any real run is plotted.

is it worth worrying about? depends... is it your time to go to a lighter weight oil for colder conditions?go ahead and try a lighter weight oil for the colder weather. I persomaly just don't ride that hard when it gets that cold , I set my suspension up around the warmer temps when I know I will be pushing MY limits .

cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I persomaly just don't ride that hard when it gets that cold , I set my suspension up around the warmer temps when I know I will be pushing MY limits .
Ditto.

I just plain don't feel too confident when the temps get below 50 deg. F. so I take it easier. Too many clothes, cold hands, cold tires, stiff suspension, all are good enough excuses for me to back off a bit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Desmo Elmer said:
Ditto.

I just plain don't feel too confident when the temps get below 50 deg. F. so I take it easier. Too many clothes, cold hands, cold tires, stiff suspension, all are good enough excuses for me to back off a bit.
Yeah, I'm not really that concerned about pushing it to the limits at all temps... just curious if I was noticing something that wasn't there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts