Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you CAMers tell me about the area?

I am particularly intererested in the Staunton VA environs. Looking at a potential job there.

most important Q's:

1. closest Duc Dealer
2. Riding environment (roads, conditions, etc...)
3. good beer

everything else is irrelevant. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
closest Duc dealer I think would be www.ducpond.com run by a Jeff Nash type named Donnie Unger who is just plain awesome with Ducs and has had an independant tuning and repair shop for Ducs for the last many years and has now just gotten an official franchise dealership...so his awesome care and service and to be able to take warranty type repairs to him as well because he is now a dealer makes for an awesome combo!

environment there....well...you are nearby access to lots of brilliant roads and riding environments depending on your pleasure...different styles as you know have different preferences....but I think if you are serious about riding...it can be had without much trouble...and you'de be not too far from Deal's Gap should you decide to take an excursion down yonder way!....weather and wildlife are a different story in terms of obstacles and can vary!

good beer can be had if you are willing to take your truck and load up somewhere and have a dedicated beer fridge...of course...people have varying ideas on what is and isn't good beer....so that would require further discovery and discussion!

·
Registered
480 Posts
+1 to what everything Zoooom said. But we must be candid: Duc Pond is 95 miles away from Staunton (which is pronounced "STANton" by the locals). The only other "nearby" dealer is Ducati Richmond, which is almost 110 miles away. BTW, who's Jeff Nash?

·
Registered
480 Posts
zooom said:
Advanced Motorsports in Texas also called AMS Ducati.....one of his builds is featured in the January 2007 Motor Cyclist
http://www.advancedmotorsports.com/
Oh, that Jeff Nash. AMS is where I got my single-megaphone exhaust, which everyone loves. [cheeky] It sounds a lot better now that I've got the Keihin FCR 41s installed. But I'll still prolly be the only one who likes it. That's okay. I have a Duc with a more conventional sound -- my 750 Paso with Staintunes and dell'Ortos with K&N pods on the intake side. Available for your listening pleasure at the track this spring.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Odd Duc said:
Oh, that Jeff Nash. AMS is where I got my single-megaphone exhaust, which everyone loves. [cheeky] It sounds a lot better now that I've got the Keihin FCR 41s installed. But I'll still prolly be the only one who likes it. That's okay. I have a Duc with a more conventional sound -- my 750 Paso with Staintunes and dell'Ortos with K&N pods on the intake side. Available for your listening pleasure at the track this spring.
I look forward to hearing that sweet music at VIR for the MAD days!

·
Registered
928 Posts
DUCPOND!
Awesome roads right in your backyard, if your nice to me and buy me a beer or two I might let you in on some of my routes through that area - Gene

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great info so far.

thanks folks!

Glad to hear that there are some good brew selections, and the duc dealer / wrench is about the same distance as mine now.

how about the riding season? my work keeps me from riding as much as i would like in the summer, so i am always looking for good fall / spring riding conditions

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Herm... said:
how about the riding season? my work keeps me from riding as much as i would like in the summer, so i am always looking for good fall / spring riding conditions
all depends on riding gear you have....your own comfort levels...and of course...mother nature....but it is usually a brisk but pretty spring and fall in that area...usually pretty ridable!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Simply put, if I could find a job anywhere in the ShenVal area that payed anywhere close to what I can make (even as a local government employee) in the NoVa area I would be there tomorrow.

The roads are great, mountains are in sight, people are (mostly) friendly... what's not to like?

If you haveto be close to a big city you're kinda out of luck, but hey...

Oh, and Victory and Dogfish Head can both be had in the valley.

-Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/va.html

The above link has some info. Stauton Va. Is a great place. Tons of roads to ride all around. Lot's of little towns and great fly fishing. Dry spells every summer. Humidity suxs. Winters are getting warmer due to global warming
and the onslaught of surban sprawl

Good thing though is the Valley is now offically out of the fall out zone when DC gets nuked

bdub

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good thing though is the Valley is now offically out of the fall out zone when DC gets nuked
[thumbsup]

Sadly enough you are correct. :-[

If you go thru with it and move, spend your time on the Blue Ridge Parkway vs. Skyline Drive. The speed limit is 45 mph vs. 35 mph (speeding ticket liability), the views and the road layout are much better...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
As for dealerships, there's also Winchester Motosports in... well, you guessed it, Winchester. Small dealership. Nice folks.

I've never been on the Blue Ridge (anyone thinking of doing a group ride this spring on the BR???)... but Skyline Drive is pretty nice in my humble opinion. Nice views, not too crowded, lots of twists. It runs about 100 miles south from Front Royal, VA.

Beer... is there any good local beer??? I'm still drinking Sam Adams and Yuengling from my days in MA and PA.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
lucrecci said:
I've never been on the Blue Ridge (anyone thinking of doing a group ride this spring on the BR???)... but Skyline Drive is pretty nice in my humble opinion. Nice views, not too crowded, lots of twists. It runs about 100 miles south from Front Royal, VA.
I've done the BRP drive a couple of times to as far south as the Ashville, NC area. However it was in the 928 everytime. My wife is probably going to Europe in March, so i am looking to plan a trip to the Dragon while she's gone. It'll probably be me and my father-in-law. I plan on taking the backroads the whole way down to Deals Gap. The BRP will most likely make up more than 1/2 of the road miles to the Gap. When the time draws nearer i will post up an itenerary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts