Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the techlusions TFI on their Duc with an open airbox? Just wondering if it works well. I know a lot of people with them in cruiser bikes and they swear by it over the PCIII.

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I know Ducatz is running one, and likes it so much, on his recommendation, I ordered one...
Should have it by the end of next week. Will report.
Scooby ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does the TFI also go by the name Digital Fuel Optimizer? I picked up a Techlusion pamphlet and they called it the DFO.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Scooby is right, I have one & love what it did for me. I am running K&N pod filters on my 02' 750 with moded exhaust. With the TFI box I get to the power much quicker & smoother. In my opinion it is a worth while mod. It keeps my Monster from running lean & I even got more power after the install. If you get one installed, make sure that you have it dynoed to get the most out of the box.
I haven't heard of it called a DFO, I guess it is possible.
Check them out @ www.Techlusion.com.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The DFO I believe is a generic acromyn, Digital Fuel Optimizer. There are a few of these out there, for a Duc there is the metioned Techlusion TFI, and for H-D there is the Rev Tech DFO. They work off the same principle I believe, but the Rev Tech has some adjustment knobs for tinkering.
Buz.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
You can also tinker with the TFI. I just don't know how comfortable I'd feel about doing it myself since I don't have a dyno to see the actual results of my tinkering.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ductatz,

Thanks for the info. I got a question and remember I am new to this FI thingy.

I know you can put K&N pod filters on carbed bikes (many do on my other bike, the Vulcan, since mine is the dual carbed model with ugly chrome "ears" at the front that hold the air filters ... getting rid of the ears is usally one of the first mods). I didn't realize that this could be done on FI bikes. Is there any info out there on how to do this? I may be able to figure it out myself, but no use reinventing the wheel, eh.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Hit:
Check out what Allan has got @ http://TPOparts.com/products/podfilter.html. There is some cool stuff there. I used his kit to install the pod intakes. It was a very simple install. He did some serious R&D to get the velocity stacks jsut right. I might have been able to install the K&N pods for a little less coin but I don't have a problem helping the little guys out. He's a good guy & he'll answer any questions that you may have. He goes by Shiflan on this board & the speedzilla one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ducatz and Scooby

BINGO ;D That's exactly what I want. And I agree, it is best to keep these inovative guys in business, that's how new stuff (that I want but don't even know it yet) gets made. The TPO pods it is. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have one coming in the mail today....hope......that I order from cal-sportbike, one of our sponsors for 149 bucks for the month of February. I'm asking here what wires to hook the thing up so as the faxed copy of my wiring harness (thanks Ducati Seattle - Tim) is a bit fuzzy.

help?!?!?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Ducatz said:
Check out what Allan has got @ http://TPOparts.com/products/podfilter.html. There is some cool stuff there. I used his kit to install the pod intakes. It was a very simple install. He did some serious R&D to get the velocity stacks jsut right.
A couple people have said that this product is a replication of the OEM rubber part but instead out of aluminum.

Lately, TPO has been unresponsive to many board members, including a request I had made (unanswered for several months) about the same TPO beast.

Good luck,
Chris

T

·
0 Posts
Had a similar problem with TPO over $55 worth of parts. Finally got a response from them after I lodged a complaint with PayPal. Got my money refunded, and then they sent me the parts anyway, for my trouble, pay them if I wanted. Well, I used the parts, so I sent them a check, they were very apologetic and said they had been having trouble with their mail server. They made good, but it was a big hassle and I don't know if I would do any more business with them. Seems like if you are going to do business over the internet, you would make sure you answered your email about your customer's concerns. They apparently don't have a phone #.

From TPO's site concerning The Beast:
  "TPO recommends that you take your bike to your dealer and have them tune your ECU to maximize the performance gains of this kit. Tuning requires an exhaust gas analyzer and should take less than fifteen minutes. You do NOT have to buy "chips" or other expensive tuning devices. HP gains will be more dramatic in combination with aftermarket exhaust."

Does this sound right? If so, that alone would probably justify the price.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Back to the Techlusion question, I've noticed from another thread on this specific TFI bit, someone posted their 'pot' settings. Ducatz, any thoughts on your settings?? I've got a 900ie with K&N and Leo Vince...........so I'm expecting some pretty nice increases with throttle response.

Also, just double checking the Techlusion site, your injection wires are white/violet and orange/blue, yes??

One last thing, where did you mount the TFI???

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
an important note about the TFI... it only adds fuel. it cannot take fuel out of your fuel map. this may or may not be important depending on your bike. getting baseline dyno data and air/fuel traces will help figure out if it will work well for you or not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i've got one of these... that may have been me who posted the settings (it's been a while, so i forget). as i still haven't gotten any aftermarket exhaust on there (the airbox has been opened-up in preparation), it's still set to the base settings which came w/ the box. once i actually get exhaust on there, i may have it dyno-tuned depending on available money.

yes, it only adds fuel, but from what i've heard there aren't any rich spots in my map ('02 m750sie)... has anyone out there heard otherwise?

as far as placement, i put mine on the right hand side of the airbox nestled in the frame. one of these days, i'll splice some longer wires in there and move it under the seat... where i had originally wanted to put it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks SlowDuc, appreciate that help. I'll leave it stock as well to start and go from there. Once I get it figured out, I"ll post the results here and on the Techlusion forum.

·
Registered
517 Posts
tonupyank said:
Thanks SlowDuc, appreciate that help. I'll leave it stock as well to start and go from there. Once I get it figured out, I"ll post the results here and on the Techlusion forum.
tonupyank:  to clarify... when i said "base settings" i meant the recommended settings in the tfi instructions (assuming stock airbox and aftermarket exhaust).  hope there was no confusion.

ducatz:  after i actually get some exhaust on my bike and tuned according to the basic non-dyno instructions, would you be willing to let me know your settings?  i'm curious to know how accurately i can set it up based on my butt-dyno... i'm sure there will be some difference since you are running pods and different exhaust.  i'm wondering if the settings will at least proportionally be the same.  i'm intereseted in seeing if i can get anywhere close  ???

·
Registered
190 Posts
SlowDuc - Thanks for the clarification.

Ducatz - ditto what SlowDuc asks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok, for those of you that have a 2002 or newer, and are installing a Techlusion, make SURE you scroll down on the Techlusion page for the correct injector wires. Once you have found them, then comes the 'iffy' part, because there is a Green w/ yellow stripe and a Yellow w/ green stripe......yikes.....look for the larger green color band.

Once you get that figured out, it's about a twenty minute install. I set the pots at the settings them came with....but with just a tad increase. I have a K&N filter, Leo Vince and the airbox isn't cut off or opened up really. I checked the plugs prior to start up and they were 'perfect'. Also, put anti-seize on for the reinstall.

We fired it up and it was running nicely, watched the LEDs as the revs went up. ziptied everything down, put the seat back on (it fits VERY nicely under the seat) and geared up. Started in town, tested the stop and go on lights, then onto the nice twisty. Throttle response was very smooth, increased in power, but a decrease in gas mileage.....hmmmm, whoopty doo.

The only gripe, was that when it arrived it was missing some clips for installing the wiring, but a quick to Hardware Sales and it's all good. Robert at Cal-Sportbike, was going to replace the whole unit, but I told him not to bother. at 18cents each, it wasn't worth his hassle. He was quick to respond to emails and well, I'd order from him again. He's running a special for 149 bucks for the TFI.

Get one!!!!!

CHeers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts