Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
ahh you guys suck, sunday is my only day off this week. can you do it before 7am tommorrow? [laugh]

you may need to look hard to find an experienced beer holder in my absence.

good luck, and travis if you get jammed up make sure you get the bike to a shop prior to May [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mdriver said:
I'll be there, I can bring feeler gauges, a torque wrench, and..... wait, where am I going?
i just realized that i will actually need a caliper or some way of measuring the thickness of the shims accurately. anyone have something?

check your PMs i'll send my addy and phone number..DOH!!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mdriver said:
I'm bringing a 0-1" micrometer with the shims.

Do you have new retaining clips for your closing shims? I dont know how much you'll need them, but IIRC they seem to wear out faster then the shims acutally do.
no, i couldn't afford the new retainers. i haven't read anything about reuse of the old ones being bad, i'll just have to replace them later on when i have the cash to do so.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, they're probably fine.
I just know that they have a tendency to get worn/compressed where the retainer touches the shim. At least they were when I checked mine. That didn't keep me from putting them right back in though.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think we said around noon.

i will be up tonight trying to clean the valve covers and figure out why my bike is shorting out

yes, that's right, the bike is effectively dead right now :'(

so it might be more of a tech day than we first thought

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
who is coming over?
i can't promise much in the way of food, but we can always get a pizza or 2.

let me know please.

Where do you hail from. Oh, and I can eat 1-2 pizzas myself.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Malevolent Monster said:
Where do you hail from. Oh, and I can eat 1-2 pizzas myself.
i'm in conshohocken. just ourside of philly. you're getting your own dam pizza then ;)

ohh and you all might want to come over to see the mess i have made. i got so far into certain things and then realized that i couldn't do anymore, and then i got all the bolts out so i could replace the alternator cover gasket, and now i can't get the cover off.... ::)

so tomorrow before all thsi goes down i will be going to a shop somewhere to get
valve cover gaskets
rivet type master link
oil
that non stick stuff you put on bolts so they don't sieze up over time
electrical tape
laughed at by the guys in said shop
advice on how to do a couple of things
laughed at some more.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
slowpoke13 said:
I think you need to make an alt cover remover. I don't believe it's too hard. D-hund made one in my basement in no time. Dunno how or the specs. But, it didn't seem too difficult.
what did he make it out of?
i'm figuring that i need to have it attach to the little removable cover and push against the engine block and oil pan.

·
Registered
124 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
what did he make it out of?
i'm figuring that i need to have it attach to the little removable cover and push against the engine block and oil pan.
I think he made it out of scrap metal. But, I honestly dunno the specifics of it. He got the instructions here on the DML. I didn't get home until it was just about completed and wasn't there when he put it to use.

It's 8:30 am, I say you call him and ask. >:D

1 - 20 of 139 Posts