Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vertical cyclinder had some new surprises for me last night.

A) I will be blowing money for rockers..AHHHHHH! Seriously, it's crazy.

B) Signs of detonation. I could tell the cylinder was running hotter/cleaner by the exhaust color out of the ports and by the exhaust valve heads but there is some small peen marks at one edge of the piston. Interesting...

Glad I busted out for that used powercommander. This guy is hitting a dyno in spring to iron out my A/F ration BIG TIme!

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the rockers! :eek:
How many do you have to replace and what would cause the peen? As far as the color from the ports, are you talking internally in the passage way from the valves?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
b.h. said:
How many bad rockers?

Can you tune the cylinders individually?
At least 12 as far as I can tell. Some are really bad. SOme I just don't want to trust.

The FIM chip I have can do that but I myself don't have contol of that. The chip was supposed to balance the cylinders since it is known that teh forward cylinder runs lean according to FIM tests. I just purchased a used PClll USB but I am unsure if I can tune cylinders individually with that. Doubtful I would imagine.

I am going to make sure my rings and ring lands are OK as far as detonation damage is concerned then proceed with my original plan over the winter. In Spring when I fire it up, I'll richen the POT in the ECU and run 93 oct. My buddy is taking his BUSA back up to Fuel Moto in WI. I'll go with and have the powercommander tuned. That and the squish setting should control any issues since setting the squish is supposed to help fight detonation. I am still pondering on that concept. It could be that the charge is better atomized thusly leaving less unburnt fuel mixture behind to detonate at the wrong moment.

I had been running 89 oct for the last few months since it burns better so maybe that wasn't so wise. This is minor stuff as far as detonation signs but the first time in my life were I have seen it on my stuff.

I'll post a pic later

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prince Ruben said:
Sorry to hear about the rockers! :eek:
How many do you have to replace and what would cause the peen? As far as the color from the ports, are you talking internally in the passage way from the valves?
Actually yes, essentially. The nice white color on the valves and exhaust just exiting the ports. No carbon buildup. My other cylinder had built up carbon.

Localized hot spot causes the peened look. There is a lot going on as far as pressure waves during a combustion cycle and the collision of these waves can concentrate in areas depending on the shape of all the items involved (combustion chamber in head, valves, spark plug etc). Normally the detonation occurs where there is something sharp like an edge of a valve pocket since those areas tend to run hotter. In my case it is off a cylinder wall on the flat part of the piston. Just a localized hot spot collision or a little elf mining my piston crown and head... [laugh]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics

See the spots? On second thought too, those exhaust valves are running a tad too hot. Makes me wonder about the airbox dynamics again. Too much shrouding of the horizontal trumpet by the airbox wall means not enough air or at least turbulent air...woolaa that cylinder runs rich while it's brother runs lean..grumble grumble

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some more from last night. This is pretty cool. I know its a bad thing but I think its pretty cool too.

BH..man, I am simply not listening to you very well. Half of my crap isn't bagged and tagged! What a mess

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Zatoichi931 said:
BH..man, I am simply not listening to you very well. Half of my crap isn't bagged and tagged! What a mess
it's all good.... as long as you've got a good memory [thumbsup]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
b.h. said:
it's all good.... as long as you've got a good memory [thumbsup]
My wife asks everyday if I am going to know how to put it all back together?? [laugh]

·
Registered
917 Posts
My girlfriend was asking the same thing about my dirtbike. She was concerned that I'd forget something, or reassemble something incorrectly.
I told her I'm not too worried about it since I have a test rider (her) [laugh]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
b.h. said:
My girlfriend was asking the same thing about my dirtbike. She was concerned that I'd forget something, or reassemble something incorrectly.
I told her I'm not too worried about it since I have a test rider (her) [laugh]
Good One

My response if I were you..."uhm Honey, do you know what I do for a living? I say again, do you know?" [laugh]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts