Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Target Fixation, huh?

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  pennyrobber 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Count Desmo said:
Agreed. Those guys are one of the reasons sportbikes are disliked by cagers. I didn't see a single corner that couldn't have been ridden at those speeds without crossing over the center line!
Actually this is generally well accepted in Europe from what I have seen in my travels. Splitting the oncoming lane is common practice and I have never seen the police take action.

#8 ·
If you can't ride in your lane, you're riding above your skill level. Imagine your lane as the whole road; if you can't do it, slow the hell down. I've certainly run wide before and I always slow down afterwards (before would be better obviously). I'm with Spidey on this one, horrible riding, their lines were really not good even aside from the crossing of every white line they could.

#12 ·
An absolutely wonderful video on what NOT to do when riding! Or, if you will, "How to get dead quick!"

I don't feel a whole lot of pity for those guys. They are just damn lucky there wasn't someone coming the other direction.

#13 ·
silentbob said:
Actually this is generally well accepted in Europe from what I have seen in my travels. Splitting the oncoming lane is common practice and I have never seen the police take action.
Yeah, when I was riding with a bunch of Italians over there, they often would swing out into the oncoming lane for a right-hand turn. Kinda weirded me out. And yes, they lane split down the middle - it's 'normale'.

But it's also true that they do little construction projects all over the place and if you get a small sign 20 meters before the gravel/ditch or whatnot you're pretty lucky. They were just riding *way* too fast for the conditions, leaving no margin of safety for the "oh sh*t" moment.

Oh, and I think that cloud of dust at the end might've been his buddy.

#19 ·
Looks to me like he hates trees, and executed a perfect charging attack (notice how the tree never saw it coming). Also looks like someone should have slapped some sense into him BEFORE letting him touch a motorcycle.

On a more on-topic note, I'm pretty sure that target fixation is how 95% of all people in cars drive... by fixating on the car in front of them and nothing else.

Loren

#21 ·
kopfjager said:
I have watched that many times and I can't figure out WTF he was doing ;D
He was learning the importance of safety gear. [cheeky]

That video is classic target fixation. A new rider staring down what he wants to avoid thereby guaranteeing he won't.

#23 ·
I have seen quite a few crash videos that involve one guy crashing and his buddy just panicing and going off in the same place. Seeing a bike go down in front of you definitely gets your attention. I had a guy lowside in front of me on a big organized ride and I was happy that my natural reaction was to just ignore it and complete the turn before I stopped to go help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.