Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh...the adreneline is still wearing off and I am waiting to see how bruised and banged up I am. I've been home for about an hour

Went into a right hand sweeper this morning, had the damper set to nothing as I was just "around-towning"

it was a familiar turn, I was in a good lean and angle when I went in at about 45 mph...then the sh!t started....I hit a new dip/sinkhole that formed in the asphalt at the mid-point of the turn from the cold weather and the bike immediately went into a violent slapper

I went upright and into the on-coming lane slapping away...there was a car headed toward me about 50 yards away and I knew I couldn't get back in my lane so I headed over for the shrubs on the side of the on-coming lane

Locked up the brakes when I got over to the curb, hit the curb at an easy angle as the on-coming car drove past on my right and I dumped the bike at about 15-20 mph, landed on my right shoulder into a pile of leaves bike on top of me, feels like some bruised left ribs/shoulder and the left calf got whacked under the bike. Bike was still running so I hit the kill switch
and was able to get out from under it.

Some nice young woman stopped asked if I was ok and if I needed a hand. She helped me get the bike upright.

I looked the bike over....left front turn signal hanging, bar-end mirror shot, only half the clutch lever left, shifter bent inward but moving. Gas tank has two minor dings from whatever was on the ground that didn't yield. Exhaust can and crankcase are fine

I thanked the samaritan again and

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Damn. Bikes can be fixed or replaced. Human body damage adds up over the years. Glad you are OK-ish. Hope it turns out that you are really OK.
Doc

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
For injuries, remember the acronym "RICE":

Rest = immobilize joint/take it easy!
Ice = ice it - just don't give yourself frostbite
Compression = ACE bandage or similar
Elevation = keep swollen bits above the level of your heart

I'm just guessing here you must've been nicely attired to have fared so well.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I was bumped by a car this week riding through the Tenderloin here in S.F. All I can say is going down sucks. I landed on the same spot on my hip as last time I got hit. It's starting to look like I'm hiding a half basebal under my skin on my hip with the giant calcium deposit that's growing...

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I'm truly sorry to hear about it. Relieved nothing major happened. Though I think as a rule of thumb, if you highside, go get checked. You may not be aware of problems until a day has passed from the adrenaline rush.

I'd be interested to know why you set you damper to nothing. Do other settings noticeably affect steering? What damper are you using?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- I seem ok though I am stiffening up...loaded up on Ibu-profins for the past 3 hours once I was satisfied nothing really nasty might be going on inside...forming a world-class bruise on my calf and the shoulder is a little crunchier than usual (old rugby injuries saying hello) structurally I am ok just sore as hell and tightening up

Yes proper leather attire on the upper, gloves and full face helmet. jeans on the lower and low boots (yeah I know). Shoulder of my leather jacket took the majority of the impact abraded, 1 gash from a tree root or something and grass-stained, left glove abraded, grass-stained and gashed. Helmet scraped and visor hinge packed with dirt grass and leaves. Jeans grass stained on the hip and knee

The damper was set to nil-lowest as when I ride around town in (perpetual) traffic I often do have to actually "steer" the bike. I was only planning to ride 2 miles over to Ghost Motorcycle to return a 14mm allen I had borrowed but it was almost nice out, so I left and took the long way home through a series of turns along the waterfront that are (usually) fun to flick through

Now on to the important stuff, drove truck to Goldcoast Motorsports replacement clutch lever, picked up a Hindsight mirror and an end plug for the right side (farewell Napoleons)dropped off a pair of spare Showa tubes I was staging for Racetech rebuild, had

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Mostro,

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

By the way, what kind of front tire were you running? It would be interesting to see data on Monster tankslappers and what tires were in use.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I hope you heal up quickly. After six weeks I still have swelling in my hand in the area where I dislocated my thumb.

It's great to hear that you were able to ride away and that you have a good attitude about it all.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear you are ok.

Is there something in particular with these bikes and tank-slappers?? Seems like it happens a lot on Monsters, what's the deal?

Has me a little worried.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
don't belong to DESMO, might consider it tho if their group-rides are trailed by a flatbed and an EMS tech <laughing>
haven't been on an official ride, but, from what i hear, the rides are very well managed. lead and sweeper, fast riders with the fast riders, slow with the slow, yada yada. imho, they are worth joining even if you just lurk on the internet.

http://www.desmoducati.org

by the way, i live in the NE Bronx

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Sorry to hear bout the crash Hope you and the duc heal quickly

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
agreed, hope you feel 100% soon.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the two typing fingers are fine, shoulder and ribs aren't so hot, sense of immortality shaken....belief in ancestral guardian spirits reaffirmed.

Writing what happened did two things for me...got it down while it was fresh and uncensored by memory and it took my immediate adreneline/anxiety-charged mental focus off the injuries...I have never been a good judge of pain and usually have wound up in ER a day or 3 later than I should have

1 - 19 of 19 Posts