Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys have seen the few tank slapper threads in the general info category. This isn't a huge issue for us as most of our roads are straight, however, still something that makes me nervous. Other then Ron does anyone have a steering damper installed? Ron - do you find it any more difficult to turn with the damper installed? My concern is with the power of the S4 coming out of a turn the front end might get too lite and I'll start a slapper. I had it happen once but was able to allow the bike to recapture it's path. Also, how hard was yours to install?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
i've only experienced slappers when i'm at WOT on a straight bumpy road not too far from my house. The front end lifts up and comes down off-center and continually jumps the opposite direction. I found that by letting go of the throttle is the easiest way to get through one. Trying to muscle out of it only makes it worse. scary stuff.

ohlins makes a real good damper with some real rigid settings. you can have the damping set so high that it is actually quite difficult to even turn the wheel. while very good, they're high in price, >$300.

mine is the simple one for $100 off ebay. it's VERY easy to install and has done a good job. Even at the highest setting it is still easy for me to turn the handlebars. the first time i installed it i went out to "slapper road" and flew WOT all the way down. There was a very brief and insignificant wiggle only once the entire time.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I don't think I'll go with the Ohlins brand, no need to get that fancy. I know that we're looking for better stretches of road to hit next Summer and I don't want to get slapped off. Will any damper work or are there specific ones for Monsters?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
i'm pretty sure that damper's are specific to the motorcycle. i'm not sure if the mount the same way across all brands of monsters though, you'll probably want to verify that the damper will work on your S4 before dropping any cash!

·
0 Posts
Is that the multi-colored (icon) damper they're always selling?
I need to get one too man 'cause I've felt uneasy at high speeds too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts