Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so close to crashing earlier today. I am sure the motorcycle gods were smiling on me today. I had just overtaken a car and rolled on the throttle, and hit a wave of bumps. I felt the front tyre leave the ground and then the tank slapper started. I kept the power consistent and didn't touch the brakes or anything else. Luckily, the bike eventually corrected itself. I am glad the bike and me got through it okay. I have read this has happened to other monster owners.

Missy

T

·
0 Posts
Missy....I'm glad you were not injured! I've ridden out four tank slappers thru the years. I just did the same as you - maintain neutral input and pray. Not a fun time!
I will say that, in my case (and many others I've talked too), the slapper could be traced back to a specific sequence of over aggressive rider inputs. Many of the others I've talked to had less than optimum suspension setups.
What I'm going to say here is going to cause a little stir on the old DMB - a properly setup and properly piloted, 2V Monster does not need a steering stabilizer. So, although you will get recommendations to immediately run out and buy brand X steering stabilizer, your money would be much better spent in sorting out the suspension and logging a properly instructed track day (IMHO). I will not debate that a steering stabilizer may well prevent a future tank slapper, but it does so by masking your input and the bike's response to your input and the road condition.
Once again, I'm glad you were not injured and I hope your confidence returns quickly - always took me a day or two to shake it off.

H

·
0 Posts
Close call. The gods were smiling on you. Good thing you didn't pannic and rab a handfull of brake!

I'm of the opinion that a properly set up suspension could still benefit from a damper. There's a reason why most superbikes come with them from the factory. I'd say it's a better way to spend $400 than say a carbon fiber hugger! Just an opinion...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... just had another one (i've had about 5 so far not including yesterday's)... went over a wavy concrete section last night on the way home from SF... estimated indicated was about 85+ or so (major error in speed b/c those roadside "your speed" signs don't match my speedo). Ended up rolling off the throttle slightly... was spooky though b/c it was at night.

I normally don't cruise in the R-most lane on the freeway but noticed that most of those weird surfaced patches that lead to tank-slapper/steering shake tend to be in the R-most lane or middle lanes.

Daffe

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
To hopefully come out of a tank slapper, you should....

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Sivan, yes I still have it mounted - Haven't removed it yet. I still need to get the front forks adjusted to my height/weight. Thinking of doing it in the summer at the Helimot's annual fund-raiser in San Jose, CA.

Daffe

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm on board with Sivan's question. In my case, I just did a track day on the Monster for the first time. I deliberately ran the bike with stock non-adjustable Showas with fresh 10W Belray and the rear spring preloaded to get my sag within Ducati's recommendations. Rear rebound is two clicks stiffer than Duc's recommended baseline. Sag at the front was also within Duc specs, although about 10-15 mm too much for "sport bike" nominal settings. I did this to get a good baseline feel for the stock stuff in case I get all out of whack when I swap in some adjustable Showas and start fooling with dialing in both ends.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bike felt. No wallowing, chattering, or anything. No feeling like it was going wide unless I let it go wide. Only twice coming out of the last turn onto the Start/Finish straight did I get a very slight wobble - not quite enough to call headshake, even.

So in the absence of any bad manners with this set up, what do I look for in setting up everything properly when I start changing forks and rear spring/shock or whatever? The same behavior, only better maybe? I've read a lot of stuff on setting up bikes, and it seems like I'm starting from a better than average beginning point. And since I don't have any obvious problems to correct - I'm curious as to indicators that I'm actually making positive changes. So throw some advice at us.

I'm planning to use the track for dialing in new suspension work so I can take it to the (my) limits, have a consistent test surface, and of course be safe ;D

Oh, one other question - since Monsters have been known to have a few tank slappers. Has anyone, other than the case reported recently where the damper was set to nil, had a tank slapper with a functional damper installed on their Monster?

Personally, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to add things like dampers when they are perceived as a cover up for bad set up or look like poser fluff because they are not needed for my circumstances. However, if even the best set up, or 80% of the best when I don't know it's off a little still leaves me open to disaster, I may want to add one.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Personally, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to add things like dampers when they are perceived as a cover up for bad set up or look like poser fluff because they are not needed for my circumstances.

·
Registered
684 Posts
D**n Dennis. Amazing shot.

Me no want tank slapper. Ever.

Glad you're okay MissyAU

R

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through the slapper.

That is one great photo!

I hear ya guys, but if you think of all the variables it is so hard to suggest anything that isn't just a starting point on suspesnion set up and even a bikes proneness to slap.
One guys dream set up is another's ride from hell.
I used to get tank slapers quite often, all self correcting, changed tires and they went away. The same tires I put on, others here have complained about their handling characteristic's. The same turn everyday I take differently. You start to see the problem. So for me I realized I will have to put some effort forth in getting all this sorted. I read everything I can find, I ask questions, I ride other people's bikes and I adjust my suspension all the time and see what the difference's are. I have sometimes gone backwards and all this has taken time, but from stock I am so far ahead of where I was and I think there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

R

·
0 Posts
I will post the full crash sequence in another string tonight. Its 21 images of pain and suffering. RRW is going to pick the images up for the crash page.

R

·
0 Posts
it's when the front end rapidly shakes back and forth pivoting uncontrolably around the steering head....like the bars want to slap the tank.....however if you google tank slapper you will find a photo post from a Mike Moore?
of another uh, tank slapper....

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
it's when the front end rapidly shakes back and forth pivoting uncontrolably around the steering head....like the bars want to slap the tank.....however if you google tank slapper you will find a photo post from a Mike Moore?
of another uh, tank slapper....
Just to be clear, that's not my picture. Sheesh, you want to get me in trouble with my wife or something? ;D

To get a clearer picture, watch this video.

R

·
0 Posts
Just to be clear, that's not my picture. Sheesh, you want to get me in trouble with my wife or something? ;D
Must be that guy with the Laverda... ;D
Nice Avatar and stuff Michael.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts