Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just found out the 2001 M900 tank I bought off ebay and repainted is actually a 97 M900 tank. Is that why the seat doesn't fit properly now?

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Tank/Seat Question

I would try and find some Duc owners in your area and borrow their seats before you buy anything. Good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

If you change the seat you'll have to replace the lock (and then all locks). 2000 => new tank and seat. Next time also watch for newer FI tanks, they're different. AFAIK, a 2001 M900 is only FI and wouldn't work either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If you change the seat you'll have to replace the lock (and then all locks). 2000 => new tank and seat.
well, that certainly clarifies things ::)

how about buying a pre-2000 stock seat (one on ebay right now still at $20), and attaching to its underside the latch peg off my current (non-fitting) seat? The swap shouldn't be too hard, if all else fails by drilling the little plate onto the older seat. Then i could use the older seat without changing the locks..

but did the frame change as well (such that the plastic seat tabs don't fit under and attach in place in the same way)?? I can post pics if it helps..

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

I have a stock seat from a 97 and still have the seat latch that went with it. Plus I'm close enough to San Francisco that you could come check things out first to see if it would work. I can make you a good deal on it.

Send me a PM if you want to pursue this further.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Scott - check your DML message box...

Here's a pic of the 2000+ seat latch peg - does it look like an easy transplant onto an older seat?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It looks the same to me. I see the same hole on the right and the mounting screw is in the same place. You'll have to make a 60-mile round trip to find out for sure...

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I would call and visit Munroe and Desmoto. They will most likely have a few lying around to compare or even try on. They will probably be able to tell you also what needs to be done while having it on hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts