Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of tank range are people getting on a S4RS? I'm a moderate rider, not on it all the time. I get between 30mpg & 44 mpg on my BMW, depending on how aggressive I ride (of course it has a 5.5 gal tank). Will the Duc make a solid 100 mile hard twisty ride? Will I make 130 miles on a tank commuting?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I rode with Waldorf down to Vermont, and he was getting 100 miles before reserve (which was 3 litres and shouldn't be trusted). He was burning 10 litres every 100 miles, so work that out for MPG... He has a 14T front.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With the full Termi kit, in CO, I've been getting consistent 35 MPG. A few times I've dipped to 30, but 35 appears to be normal for me.

That said, I ran out of gas yesterday at 104.8 miles. I was about a mile from a gas station and a buddy riding with me had to go borrow a gas can to get me going again.

I only am able to put in 3 gallons of gas, even when completely dry like I was yesterday. It's supposed to be a 3.8 gallon tank, so I'm wondering if my reserve isn't working, or perhaps it keeps that 0.8 gallons and won't use it.

By the way, before the Termi kit, I got 112 miles once and ran it completely dry. I'd say fill up by about 90 miles, which is no fun at all.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Bone stock 2007, warning light comes on at ~110 miles. Today I went about 10 miles further and stopped for gas. This was "around town" riding with a little highway mixed in. I plan to push a little further next time. Maybe literally. :p

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Best for me with some hard riding and cruising is 125 and the light came on

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess I can live with that. I guess it would kill the whole bike to have another gallon of gas onboard?

The people on the BMW board are really bitching that they dropped the fuel from 5.5 gallons to 4.7 gallons on the new R1200R. I think they would freak at 3.5 gallons.

Of course the 1200GS Adventure has 7.5 gallons, 350 mile range.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
socalrob said:
Thanks for the input. I guess I can live with that. I guess it would kill the whole bike to have another gallon of gas onboard?
--------------snip------------------
Hold a gallon gas can on top of the tank, that's how much bigger it would have to be...it would look a lot like a GS tank. :-\

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speeddog posted:
Hold a gallon gas can on top of the tank, that's how much bigger it would have to be...it would look a lot like a GS tank.
Hey, give me a break. I'm just about there, getting past lack of heated grips, no ABS & no 200 mile range. Actually another gallon would probably not increase the tank size more than 3/4 inch in any direction. I think its keeping wet weight down as much as anything.

Bike's looking pretty good now.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
socalrob said:
Hey, give me a break. I'm just about there, getting past lack of heated grips, no ABS & no 200 mile range. Actually another gallon would probably not increase the tank size more than 3/4 inch in any direction. I think its keeping wet weight down as much as anything.

Bike's looking pretty good now.
Sorry, I was a bit over the top on my response. No offense intended.

Regarding heated grips, there's a couple folks here that have fitted 'em to their Monsters.
I've got a Gerbings vest, IMO a better solution to the basic problem.

Lack of ABS will require some adaptation of braking style, if that's what your current ride has.

When the little rubber 'filler neck' falls into your tank, you can easily fill it to within 1/4" of the opening.
It's what I do on my S4.
Don't do that if you still have the emissions canister, it'll likely fark it up and your bike won't run well.

I'd gladly live with the extra 7 lbs. of wet weight for another gallon of gas, that would put me at a realistic 180 mile range.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speeddog - we're cool, I took it all in good humer. I agree, an S4RS is not a GS Adventure. Too bad one bike can't do it all though.

I do swear that the manufacturers just miss important details though. I bet a poll of monster riders would show 90 some percent wanting a true 4.5 gal. tank, even with the minor wieght/size/center of gravity issues.

Like the GS guys say, you don't have to fill up you know. I hear those GS Adventures, with a full tank & paniers & top box & tank bag (is that like 850 lbs?) are a bit of a hand full. Still, a friend with one carries a siphon tube & has saved multiple other bikers from being stranded. He calls his the mothership.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, IMO, my S4 is pretty close to a 'do it all' machine.

With soft luggage, I can tour fine twisties at 350 miles a day, no great rate by BMW standards, but it makes me smile.
Enough capacity for tent camping, and with no luggage, it can rip the corners faster than I'm willing to.
Same story on a track day.

Get the Rs, or whatever Duc makes your heart beat fast, it'll fill out your stable perfectly. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'd gladly live with the extra 7 lbs. of wet weight for another gallon of gas, that would put me at a realistic 180 mile range.
+1 My biggest pet peeve with my S2R is the range/tank. Would it really be that hard for Ducati to add another gallon to the fuel capacity??? Even another 1/2 gallon would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
socalrob said:
The new plastic tanks on Monsters displace 3.4 gallons of fuel. We're working on an endurance tank to increase it to 4.4~4.6 gallons. It will be compatible with stock airboxes. Hoping to have news on it Q1-2007

;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
With 1/2 Termi and stock gearing, I was getting anywhere from 100 to 110 before light comes on and another 15 to 20 before bike stalls. But once bike stalls, it will start again after few minutes of rest and I can ride up to another 10 miles to gas station. I am wondering if engine cuts out as warning of some sort.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Right now, with a limited turning radius, the handlebars almost hit the tank. There is not much room to go bigger.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Gracie said:
I ran out of gas today at 135 miles on my 2002 S4. The low fuel warning never comes on. Anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it?
Me too. Input from the board so far says light should come on when first turning on key--and mine doesn't...so, maybe bulb?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Yeah S4Rs tank range is way too short. Having to stop play every 45 minutes to find a gas station is very uncool.

I got about 95 miles on my last tank before the warning light came on. The bike is stock.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts