Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine just started to peel up slightly in a couple places after being fine for 2 weeks. Does anyone know of an adhesive that I could use that won't damage the paint? I could just have it replaced but seeing all the problems others are having I will probably end up with the same problem and I am really happy with the current placement. Hoping there is some sort of adhesive I could put a very small amount of under the corners that peel up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mine just started to peel up slightly in a couple places after being fine for 2 weeks. Does anyone know of an adhesive that I could use that won't damage the paint? I could just have it replaced but seeing all the problems others are having I will probably end up with the same problem and I am really happy with the current placement. Hoping there is some sort of adhesive I could put a very small amount of under the corners that peel up.
If it has been less than a year and it sounds like it has, I would go to the dealer and have them warranty it. They installed the 2nd one for me with me guiding the placement, I guess to insure it was installed properly for future warranty issues.

If I had to use an adhesive I'd go with one of the "3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive" products. Read the reviews though, it has to go on fully cured paint and even then you should test it out on an inconspicuous area first. The paint on the Duc doesn't seem like its all that great so I'd be a little hesitant myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I picked one up yesterday, haven't installed yet. In addition to clear plastic to help align 3 pieces and the alcohol towel, there was a strip of cardstock in the package that looks like it aids in lining up? Without instructions I don't have a clue, anyone have insight?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I picked one up yesterday, haven't installed yet. In addition to clear plastic to help align 3 pieces and the alcohol towel, there was a strip of cardstock in the package that looks like it aids in lining up? Without instructions I don't have a clue, anyone have insight?
I just eyeballed it the first time, dealer did the same thing except had me stand at the tail of the bike and give approval on the location. It was pretty straight forward, but I don't know why they couldn't have included a nice simple instruction sheet. Its nice to at least have a list of contents.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Question :

I'm re-painting the tank, can the DP tankpad which i have installed be taken off and reapplied ? Tank stickers/decals are already gonna cost me a small fortune, it'd be good to save the 80$ that this shite costs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Question :

I'm re-painting the tank, can the DP tankpad which i have installed be taken off and reapplied ? Tank stickers/decals are already gonna cost me a small fortune, it'd be good to save the 80$ that this shite costs.
When I had the issue the dealer removed the first tank pad and it looked pretty destroyed from what I remembered. I wouldn't count on being able to reuse it, you have to take it off so if you're careful maybe you can re-use it. Report back, I may want to repaint at some point as well. I have a few chips on the tank.

·
Registered
875 Posts
When I had the issue the dealer removed the first tank pad and it looked pretty destroyed from what I remembered. I wouldn't count on being able to reuse it, you have to take it off so if you're careful maybe you can re-use it. Report back, I may want to repaint at some point as well. I have a few chips on the tank.
In case you - or anyone else - is interested :

Removed/salvaged the tankpad (came off really nice btw) and applied some double-sided tape to it - still haven't applied it to the tank though although, to be honest, since the original ones don't stick that well to begin with i'd be surprised if the double-sided tape did the trick...

Also : there are two DP carbon tankpads, the 97480051A (one posted by the OP) and the 97480141A (different cut/design on the sides) which is the one i have, now, for some reason, the 2nd one costs 10 bucks more AND, you'd think that the 1st one is some kind of fooking Unicorn since...even when you google the part number 99% of the hits are ones showing the 2nd one, heck, i thought that the design of the 1st one was just a render and that Ducati changed the final design but apparently you can actually buy it :D

Now, if you guys like the design of the 1st one (97480051A), i found a guy on ebay that makes the same design, it's non-carbon look (who gives a shite), has some different detailing and it's half the price of the original one

Here's a variation of it (apparently the guy can custom-tailor them) on a 1200S

Long winded reply for something as silly as a tankpad but it just makes me sick the fact Ducati thinks that can anal-fist us on everything, i mean, 75 bucks for a FOOKIN tankpad, get the fook outta here with that shite, 120 bucks for a Brembo lever ? Sure, 50 bucks for an aluminum side panel (radiator) ? OK, 110 bucks for some bling rizoma front axle sliders ?I can almost stomach it, 75 bucks for a "carbon" tankpad though ? lol nope...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I put this one on after I had the tank painted. I bought it from a site in Thailand, of all places for...wait for it...CDN$19! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find them again, so I guess this post is more to torture you than to help you.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
I put this one on after I had the tank painted. I bought it from a site in Thailand, of all places for...wait for it...CDN$19! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find them again, so I guess this post is more to torture you than to help you.:D
Looks good man, and for 19 bucks... ;)

Regarding the one i posted in my previous post, the tankpad after shipping costs will cost me 30+€ - barely half the price of the DP "carbon" one, not really worth it in the end, truth be told, for that price i'd rather get the original one than the knock-off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My original tank panels had the original protector, I assume. It gave no trouble and showed no problems.
I purchased Monster Art Corse panels and a new tank protector.
It kept peeling off.
Decide I didn't entirely like the Corse paint job and had the black parts repainted in Ducati/Castrol Green.
Bought an Italia Racing Tank Protector from Moto-Vision, thinking it suited the new colour scheme. AU$25.
Cleaned the hell out of everything before applying.
No problems.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
It's shite , Mine is coming away from the tank and I am not impressed by the paint finish on the tank either..You only have to look at it and scratches appear!
Yeah the gel coat is crazy soft on these tanks. To allow for expansion I imagine?

I literally can't tell where some of the little marks appear from.. I was sitting on my bike on Monday trying to line one up with the items of clothing I was wearing.. Just can't figure it out.

Regardless, I'm not paying that for a sticker. I just bought a clear one from aliexpress for 3 dollars shipped. :D
The clear-coated over stripe on the tank is of concern to me. There's a tiny corner showing white where, clearly the edge of the decal has been exposed, so I'm hoping these stickers don't adhere too well. I fear for the life of that decal.

Plus.. I really like the clean tank on my S2R. Not in a hurry to stick things on it.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
My original tank panels had the original protector, I assume. It gave no trouble and showed no problems.
I purchased Monster Art Corse panels and a new tank protector.
It kept peeling off.
Decide I didn't entirely like the Corse paint job and had the black parts repainted in Ducati/Castrol Green.
Bought an Italia Racing Tank Protector from Moto-Vision, thinking it suited the new colour scheme. AU$25.
Cleaned the hell out of everything before applying.
No problems.
Also, a trick for tyre weights. Warm them up a bit before applying. It helps the glue to really grab.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts