Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is not the most important tech question that will be asked today.

S

·
0 Posts
that thing sucks. i don't bother using it and don't really like how it holds the tank actually...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic.

I'm starting to think Ducati just has some problem with things that are in close physical proximity to the seat. Witness:
- Battery
- Voltage Regulator
- Tank Prop Rod & Mounting Hardware Thereof
- That pathetic joke they call a "tool kit"

Maybe they should pull an engineer or two off of the engine team, or the suspension team, and ask them to help out with the stuff-near-the-seat team...

M.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a tool kit... wow. When was the last time anyone actually had to change a spark on the road???
I actually did have to yank the plugs on my BMW in the middle of Utah a couple months ago, but I digress... The thing that cracks me up with the Duc "toolkit" is that the whole bike is held together with Allen bolts, and what sort of fastener removal/installation tool do they give you? A ^&*&*(%* SCREWDRIVER! I think maybe they were actually trying to be funny...

M.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My prop rod pulled out one clip almost right away, and recently pulled out the other.
I'm not crazy about the way it holds the tank either....

With all of the fun associated with components located near the seat, I haven't gotten bored enough to figure out something better.
I probably will, after it falls out on the road and I have nothing to hold the tank up.

Actually, I think they bought a bazillion of those screwdrivers a long time ago, and putting them on the bikes is the cheapest way to clear 'em out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My prop rod pulled out one clip almost right away, and recently pulled out the other.
I'm not crazy about the way it holds the tank either....
I'm a little surprised, given how many vendors are producing fancy solutions to minor problems (not a slam, there are some really LOVELY frivolous and not-so-frivolous accessories out there) that someone hasn't come up with a prop rod that:
(a) holds the tank securely, and
(b) fits inside the little box under the seat.

Next time I'm at my dad's, I want to take a good look at the tank hinge/prop setup on his CBR. I recall it being really lovely - maybe adaptible to the Monster, maybe...

M.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Here's one more thing that's better on the older bikes. There is one rod holder attached to the frame with the other end of the rod clamping onto a crossmember. The rubber holder piece is securely attached (although I've never looked too closely at it). No part of the rod is under the seat.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
What do the mechanics at the shop use to prop the tank?
At least it comes with a tool kit, HD don't, and we always carry a sparkplug wrench in each bike and have had to use it on occasion.

Another question about the tank, how about the tank latch, is there a science to latching that, we always have to fiddle with it a lot to get it just right???

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I'm suprised nobody suggested a piece of broom handle.
If it's good enough for the rear hatch on yer Camaro...it's good enough fer yer fancy-pants Doocati.

O

·
0 Posts
can you retro-fit an older style prop rod? no problems with the one on my 99. it sits on the left side under the tank. it has a hook bent on one end, and that is snapped around a frame tube, one that crosses the bike, on the other end it snaps into v-shaped thingy, kinda beside and below the battery. this seems to work well.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Another question about the tank, how about the tank latch, is there a science to latching that, we always have to fiddle with it a lot to get it just right??
Is that another thing that they screwed up on the newer models?

On the old ones, you need to make sure that the "wire" loop goes on the correct side of the piece it hooks into, on the ignition side, then center the tank and flip the latch down. Nothing tricky about it.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
You have to change the * in the last link to a o for it to work. Why does it do that??

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i was planning to have my seat repadded, and have the rear carved out so there would be storage under the cowl. havn't done it yet because of a money shortage.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I'm suprised nobody suggested a piece of broom handle.
If it's good enough for the rear hatch on yer Camaro...it's good enough fer yer fancy-pants Doocati.
ROTFLMAO -- good one

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can you retro-fit an older style prop rod? no problems with the one on my 99. it sits on the left side under the tank. it has a hook bent on one end, and that is snapped around a frame tube, one that crosses the bike, on the other end it snaps into v-shaped thingy, kinda beside and below the battery. this seems to work well.
My visualization skills are weak... Does anyone have a photo handy?

M.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You have to change the * in the last link to a o for it to work. Why does it do that??
Honda is a profane word here. ;D

I'd love to see a pic of the "old style" prop rod, and how it stows under the tank. Pics of how other manufacturers do it would be nice too. There's GOT to be a better way.......

The tank latch is a little uncooperative. This is how I get it lined up:

then I latch it, pushing with my thumb.
But, I've got fairly large hands. If I had hands the size of a spider monkey's, it'd be really easy. But then I couldn't ride the bike... [smiley=cheeky.gif]

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Is that another thing that they screwed up on the newer models?

On the old ones, you need to make sure that the "wire" loop goes on the correct side of the piece it hooks into, on the ignition side, then center the tank and flip the latch down.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Nick, i just walked out to the garage and tried your "finger thing" on my latch... it doesn't work on my bike, I can barely get my finger in there and the crazy hook is on a spring and swivel, so when you push on it , it goes crooked??? I have to use a pencil to fit down in there on the center of the hook so it stays staight. Or maybe I'm being really 'stupid" But my husband has the same trouble, could it be we are both " stupid"??LOL maybe our fingers are too short??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts