Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a very troublesome weekend.I woke up Saturday morning ready to ride and as Im pulling out my bike to start it I notice a small half dollar size puddle of something on the floor.Got a flashlight to investigate, and I see dripping all over the place!

Unmistakable smell......Gasoline!

So I clean up everything try to pinpoint the leak.I came to a conclusion that it was the infamous gas tank hinge leak.
So dissapointed but wanting to ride I went to the local ACE hardware and picked up SEAL_ALL and PC-7 paste epoxy.

Without removing the tank I cleaned up as much gas as I could and used Seal-all on a dripping tank,Waited 30mins applied another coat.Did this about 3 times.

After a few hours I mixed up some pc-7 and put that over the S.A.(seal all)
Waited a few hours applied more.Did this about 3 times.

I finally gave up after a full day of applying stuff that made me higher than a out of control kite.Went to sleep that night very angry the leak wouldnt stop dripping.(about 1drip every 5min)Before I touched it,it was drip drip drip..so were improving..

The next morning I get up and its not dripping anymore.Not really good news though.All that stuff i put on there kinda feels like a dry hard sponge that you havent wet yet, except that its wet with gas..Shitty but improving.This day I also got high on fumes,this time alternating PC-7 with S.A.

Futher examination revealed that I have one of those crappy plastic nuts for the fuel sensor. I noticed that the area where I had epoxied was wet/soaked but the fuel was coming from the plastic nut area.
WTF!

Now I will update on the leak when i get home tonite.Seems like the longer it cures the less it leaks.crossed fingers*

Anyways...Im looking for a quick, solution to get me through 1-2 more months of riding without taking my **** apart.Then I will properly shell out the dough and get it brazed,por-15 whatever whatever.

Any ideas?Experienced comments?Saftey concerns????pictures with fixes?brazed pics?Other ingenious fixes?Please please please share you story..

Anyone ever ride around with a drip drip drip leaking tank and survive??haha funny question but serious....

Thankyou all in advance for reading and any exp youre willing to share.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
While I don't consider it a permanent fix, if you can get the area dry, any JB weld type stuff will work. But - since you'll have to take it off and turn it upside down, why not braze or solder it?
Rinse it out with soap and water, wire brush the braze area, keep a little air running thru the tank, put a wet rag on the underside, good paint area, and braze away.
At the same time you can put some pink tape around the sensor nut.
The whole thing should take about 1/2 day.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx norm..Youre always quick to speak up..Im still working on finding a good set of forks to upgrade to when this problem showed up.
So those are delayed.

Got home yesterday,leak was very small.wet but really hard to tell where it was coming from.I started it up took it for a short 30min ride came back and gas everywhere....

So I went to the auto parts store picked up everything I need to drain the tank and sand it down to get it ready for brazing.

Anyone who thinks that epoxy will stop a still leaking gas tank fuuugggghetaboutit

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if you have to take all the internals out for brazing?I would assume so...Ive never been in there yet so im not sure what im in for?
Difficulty?Time involved?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
As long as you wash it and flow air thru it, I don't think you;ll have to take everything out. Of course, if we never hear from you again, I guess I'm wrong.
Have you brazed or soldered before?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive soldered a whole bunch of stuff.Brazing not so much;I was going to take it into the local radiator shop to be brazed after I sanded the area and prepped the inside.

BUT..When I got home yesterday....Absolutly no leak! not even from the crappy plastic nut.

That night when I went out for a short ride,the epoxy was the consistency of a old dry hard sponge but wet with gas.Last night when I went to check it; it was hard as a rock and dry.So I added a nice thick layer of epoxy just for good measure.

I have a theory on how it worked....The heat from the engine as it was cooling down must have fast cured or baked the epoxy on really nicely.

So tonite when I get home another test ride and an update on how its holding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts