Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about painting my tank. Any suggestions/pictures?

R

·
0 Posts
If you're artistic, create your own design that's entirely your own... then your Monster will be an original, rather than an imitation of somebody else's idea...

I'm considering a tattoo, but I would never consider getting a "clip art tattoo" like so many people do by picking a picture out of a book of tattoos.

I think custom paint jobs on bikes are the same way... if you really want it custom, do it yourself.

Or, if you lack artistic ability (like me) commission an artist or artistic friend to create your vision for you.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
when i was looking at paint schemes, i found a base of what I like and made a couple changes. i'm sure you've all seen a Corse paint job, either red or yellow. Mine's high gloss black with a white stripe and white numberboard with silver trim on the cowl. it may look like just another corse job, but its got JUST enough difference to set it a little bit apart.

the rule of thumb: do what you like. if you like what someone else has, copy it!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I love me some CORSE paint job. I am getting my tank and cowl painted and I worked up some different designs that I liked. But in the end I wanted to do something that was just a tad bit different, but not something I would grow tired of. I tried REALLY hard to some up with something using the Italian colors, but just couldn't seem to make it work

This one was my fave, as it was VERY simple and I think it would look REALLY good on a full blown blacked out DARK Monster, but since my bike has the silver frame I didn't think it would look good.

I'm throwing a "Corse" job on there in the same paint scheme as the 748s, the flat titanium with flat white numberboard (stripe on the tank) And I'm TRYING to get the old DUCATI logo with the word MONSTER in red underneath. It should look nice, and look semi "factory" which is what I like.

if I ever have the cash to get another entire tank, perhaps I'll find some NADS and go wild on it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about some subtle flames? ::)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think flames look killer on a flat black tank, especially silver/white flames!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yo fleet what color is your corse job gonna be? i mean the base, like is it red or dark or yellow or what? I saw a numberboard decal on ebay which looks pretty cool. too bad the trim around it is gold and not silver

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The base color is flat titanium, just like the 748s..then it has a white stripe that is flat also, and on either side of the stripe there is a thin red stripe. On the 748s it's kind of a reflective stripe, but i'm just going straight red. I'm going number plates in the same manner on the back.

I think this will look good with my silver frame, and be just a tad bit different, plus it will look FACTORY which is something I like.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Them orange flames look tacky. IMHO.

M

·
0 Posts
i've said it before..

I have a dark.. i like that flat black paint.. so i was thinking the perfect counterpoint would be some hi-gloss white or dove grey corse stripes down the top and a bright red corse badge under the words ducati on the tank. an alternative is a black/white checker flag (ala corse) on a dark tank.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Lots of things look really good contrasted with the DARK. I was going to do a gloss stripe, but decided upon doing it flat just because.

I've said it before also, I think there is something that could be done with both GLOSS and FLAT black

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The main reason I want to paint the tank is to protect it. I hear the dark finish is easy to scratch. Any thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
hrm i wouldnt say its easier. Rather I would say scratches might not show up like gloss paint but given the paint is not as thick a scratch goes "deeper". I would think applying touch up paint would be a snap on the dark.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Apparently there is more than one way to paint a dark. I had a RED tank, got it painted dark and the finish was not DURABLE AT ALL. Any gas I got on it permanently stained it, as well as caused the paint to "ball" up and peel off, not nice at all. When I inquired about this in regards to my new paintjob which I wanted to be Matte I was shown a few factory "dark" jobs at the local shop. One bike had tank with a nice DENT in it, and the paint within the dent didn't so much as have a CRACK, VERY durable. The other bike was OBVIOUSLY used, but the tank looked in really good condition.

Perhaps someone here with more paint knowledge than me can elaborate.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I have a Dark that I ride every day as my main mode of transportation and I can say that the paint is quite easy to scratch. I wouldn't say it's of poor quality since it doesn't chip at all, just think enough to scratch VERY easily. If I wasn;t going to replace it with a carbon tank I would probably clear coat it next time to protect the paint...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts