Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped off my bike for them to take the dent out. They said they can't guarantee that they can bring the dent completely out because of the location.

Is there any place I can send this that can get the dent completely out if they can't or do I just live with whatever they can do?

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
What about bondo?? I've done it on cars and had very good results. I'm in the process of fixing my tank aswell and am just wondering.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
nomonster said:
What about bondo?? I've done it on cars and had very good results. I'm in the process of fixing my tank aswell and am just wondering.

Thanks
Mike
You can use filler. If the dent is large, or deeper than say 1/4", some of the dent should be pulled. Used properly filler is great stuff. While you're at it braze the hinge and coat the tank with POR-15

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
+1 on using ducpainter and listening to his advice on the subject as well.

but just to note, that seems like a fairly minor dent, if you can live with it, I'd just live with it, if it were a bigger dent or you had any other problems with the tank, I'd say send it out, for something like this, just ride it until you need more work

any proper repair of the dent would require a repaint (or at least repaint of the area), so see what the dent remover can do and go from there...

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
nomonster said:
I'm assuming the por-15 goes on the inside?? And what do you mean by brazing the hinge.
Yes it does. Monster hinges leak. Not every one, but enough that it is worth reinforcing the hinge plate to tank joint. The brazing will stop the spot welds from cracking.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
I just dropped off my bike for them to take the dent out. They said they can't guarantee that they can bring the dent completely out because of the location.

Is there any place I can send this that can get the dent completely out if they can't or do I just live with whatever they can do?
Sorry to jack your thread before. I have never seen any paintless dent repair do a perfect job. The Ducati tanks are pretty rugged as far as the stiffness of the skin,

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
+1 on the "paintless" dent removal as not always working. As ducpainter said they usually are not perfect and often put hairline cracks in the paint allowing moisture to get at the bare metal and thus begins rusting.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
ducpainter said:
Yes it does. Monster hinges leak. Not every one, but enough that it is worth reinforcing the hinge plate to tank joint. The brazing will stop the spot welds from cracking.
that tank looks familiar! ;)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was hoping for a body shop or something in the NYC/NJ area that I could bring my bike in for a quick fix instead of taking the tank off.

I used Frosty Finishes to do a Matte Silver tank from ebay for me. It looked identical to my old Matte Silver tank, except the metallic glitter. I ended up selling my old Matte Silver M620ie & bought a new Glossy black M1000S intending to swap tanks with it, but then I got too attached to the all black look. LOL

Hopefully, the dent repair goes well today! Thanks for all the imput everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, they used body filler on mine and it is falling out now. I dont think body filler works real well considering that you cant drill holes to help filler to hold on.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
a14victory said:
yeah, they used body filler on mine and it is falling out now. I dont think body filler works real well considering that you cant drill holes to help filler to hold on.
That is not how filler works anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just heard back from the dealer. The guy they use said he can't remove the dent significantly, so they advised not wasting any money on it. :p

I'm not sure if I can take off the tank & put back myself, so I rather not try. Don't want to mess things up even more.
Is the only other way I can get this fixed is to have dealer take off the tank & ship it out for repairs or are there motorcycle bodyshops that take care of this sort of thing? I brought my old tank to a local auto body shop & the guy was unsure if he could handle it.
Is removing the dent going to most likely involve repainting the tank as well?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
I just heard back from the dealer. The guy they use said he can't remove the dent significantly, so they advised not wasting any money on it. :p

I'm not sure if I can take off the tank & put back myself, so I rather not try. Don't want to mess things up even more.
Is the only other way I can get this fixed is to have dealer take off the tank & ship it out for repairs or are there motorcycle bodyshops that take care of this sort of thing? I brought my old tank to a local auto body shop & the guy was unsure if he could handle it.
Is removing the dent going to most likely involve repainting the tank as well?
I'll let ducpainter answer the paint specific questions, as for taking the tank off yourself, it's really very easy, unlatch, cotter pin from the hinge pin, remove hinge pin, disconnect lines, presto.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hiero said:
I'll let ducpainter answer the paint specific questions, as for taking the tank off yourself, it's really very easy, unlatch, cotter pin from the hinge pin, remove hinge pin, disconnect lines, presto.
Won't all the gas leak out when I disconnect the lines?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
Won't all the gas leak out when I disconnect the lines?
your bike's a 1000 right? the lines are connected to the pump assembly by quick disconnects

although you do need to drain the tank if you're going to have work done on it

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My options now:

A. Quit whining about a little dent no one can see unless I point it out to them, and they still have to look real hard.
B. Cover up the tank with a leather tank bra.
C. Get ducpainter to do my spare front mudguard to match the matte silver tank he did for me awhile back that I have been trying to sell, and swap the tank & mudguards from black to silver. This means I will have to get rid of the black cowl & black fairing.
D. Have Ducpainter fix my black tank.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.