Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have the baby, I just don't have time to ride any more. I only get to see her for an hour each night during the week, so I want to spend as much time as possible with her on the weekends.

I'm thinking about selling the bike. ugh!

The cash would go into a CD or similar investment so I can buy another bike in a year or two (when I am ready to get out of the house). I'll be holding on to the Dainese gear, because I would want another Duc.

2002 Black M620 with 8k miles (6k mile service has been done). 14T sprocket, Remus high mount pipes, down once low speed- small dent in the tank (see picture). If that sounds interesting to anyone, let me know and we can talk $$'s. I'm not desperate to sell so the price would have to be right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You willing to take payments?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostro Bella said:
You willing to take payments?
Nope- been burned in the past on that- sorry.

I just checked the Kelly Blue book value and it is $4450- granted that doesnt take into account miles, mods, the tank dent, etc... It was a generic value.

This is the worst feeling in the world. Its like I am trying to sell my child or something....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I totally understand.

So what kind of monies are we talking about here... with all this generic talk. I'm looking into a 695 come this Spring, but yeah....

I wouldn't mind a 620

·
Registered
752 Posts
tonyj said:
Nope- been burned in the past on that- sorry.

I just checked the Kelly Blue book value and it is $4450- granted that doesnt take into account miles, mods, the tank dent, etc... It was a generic value.

This is the worst feeling in the world. Its like I am trying to sell my child or something....
I feel your pain Tony. I didn't think I'd feel that way until I got on my bike and rode it over to the buyer's house. I realized that it was the last time I'd be riding that bike, and the weather was AWESOME that day, and the weekend after, and the weekend after that. Then I sold my motorcycle trailer and the pitbull stand, and it just got worse.

I'd like to buy your bike, and I would in a heart beat, if it were a year from now. I've always liked the sound of your bike over mine, even tho I had remus high mounts too. For some reason, yours always sounded louder than mine.

Good luck in selling your bike. Maybe in a few years from now, we can go shopping for new bikes together.

Marco

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
i have a buddy who may be interested in it, he wont be in country till this weekend (just getting back from Japan w/ the AF). but i know he's in the market for a bike b/c he can't bring his jap spec suzuki over or his skyline :-X . he'll be looking to spend his gub'ment check when he gets back. i'll drop you a pm when i talk to him.

bryant

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
tonyj said:
The cash would go into a CD or similar investment so I can buy another bike in a year or two (when I am ready to get out of the house). I'll be holding on to the Dainese gear, because I would want another Duc.
highest yields i've seen lately: www.hsbc.com

they have a CD (5.25%) and even a SAVINGS account (5.05%) with yields over 5%.

if you don't know hsbc, it's a huge hong kong bank that started doing business in the u.s. recently. FDIC insured and all that, so it's legit. i've had money in hsbc for years in asia.

·
Registered
752 Posts
After thinking about it, I realized how different our situations are. I still owed on my bike, so I had to sell it to trade one debt for another. Your bike is already paid off, so unless you don't need the money, I would gladly mail you my dust cover. The feeling once the bike is no longer in your possession is not worth any amount of money you can get for that bike. Plus, if you want to get one later, you're going to spend a lot more. If you want to get an upgrade at a later date, you'd be better off taking this bike in as a trade instead of using any money you get for it now. Besides, if someone gave you a great deal for it now, it won't be worth much in 2020 dollars. By then a new monster will cost 11ty billion bucks! (but still be worth it). Your bike will likely appreciate in value from this point on. >:D Plus, you know you'd spend any money you got for the bike on scratch off lottery tickets and PEZ. Keep the bike.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
yeah, marco polo's on the right track here, if you're just going to put the money in a CD and don't actually need it due to the baby, there's really no reason to sell as you're going to lose out on everything in the end, just do a generic 'winterizing' as the folks up north would do and store her away. You can take her out every now and again when things get a bit hectic and you need some release. [thumbsup]

now if you needed the money due to the baby or house or family situation, etc, I would be the first to tell you that some things need to take priority over the bike :-X but since that's not the case, then there's no need to sell ;)

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
d**n, i love this community, tonight i meet a 999s rider(bastard already has a 1098 on deposit) and MSF instructor who is cool as sh*t and then reading everybody's concern for tonyj plight. all i can say is god bless all ducati riders. and again if worse comes to worse tonyj, i'll talk to my buddy who is coming back stateside this weekend if you feel it's time to part wise w/ your duc baby.

bryant

·
Registered
297 Posts
tonyj said:

Just FYI, NADA, which is more realistic, is significantly lower.

I don't know if you have decided for sure or not, but as a father of 12-year-old twins, I would suggest you keep the bike. There will be times you need a mental escape. My bikes have been one of those much needed escapes from time-to-time. The kids love the bikes too. I had them sitting on the tank, putting around in front of the house from the time they had enough awareness to sit still and hang on, and they couldn't get enough.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the voice of reason everyone. My wife was kinda pissed when I told her I was thinking about selling it- since she knows how much I enjoy my time on it.
I'll hold on to it for now. Maybe I can trade it in on a bigger Monster, or maybe a 748/9 in the future.
I know the KBB price seemed a bit high, I was thinking more around the $4k range... and to replace it with a new Monster, I would have to fork out an extra $3k.

So when are we going for a ride?

·
Registered
297 Posts
tonyj said:
So when are we going for a ride?
Glad to hear your gonna hang onto it for a while [thumbsup]

I'm thinking that with the long weekend, I'll be ready to slip out for a ride sometime saturday or sunday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts