Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you ever taken county rd 7 (Nason Hill Rd N) just south of Marine on St. Croix? I just did that road and there are okay turns on it. Well while I was about to enter a turn pretty aggresively the pavement became quite bumpy and uneven. So I got off the speed and just cruised gently though the turn. What I'm wondering is can the monster's suspension keep traction in a tight bumpy paved turn and so I shouldn't be afraid off riding the throttle through the whole turn? Or is taking those types of turns cautiously the best?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tend to let the bike sort itself out and just keep my control inputs smooth and even. The caveat is I tend to only let myself go on roads I am familiar with on bikes I know intimately. An example of the way I do it is county rd O between hwy 10 and 35 in WI. The first time I rode it was in 3rd gear and pretty relaxed, the last time I rode it I was in the upper ranges of fourth and fifth gear and didn't drop below 65ish. I ride that road at least twice a week since it is sorta on the way home from work and have put about 9000 miles a year on my Buell and I have spent lots of time fiddling with spring preload and damping adjustments till it suits my riding style. I know what it's gonna do and know what I can do with it. I wouldn't dream of riding my wifes bike at that pace because I think I've only put about 100 miles on it. My sweeties bike is really capable from what I can tell but she would kill me if I crashed it so I ratchet down to about 80% of my usual pace so I know I can keep it on two wheels.
Spend the time to adjust your bike to best suit your style and take little bites at corner speed. It keep the survival reactions in check and allows more of a safety margin.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Some Monsters have much better suspension than others, and how it's set up will also make a big difference. Also tires, tire pressure, ride height/geometry etc., your weight are important.

Which Monster do you have? Setting sag is a start...

http://www.kalculator.com/stik/moto/suspension.html

http://www.roadracers.co.uk/suspension.htm

http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm#SET UP BIKE TO YOUR WEIGHT

The bike will likely handle more than most of us are able/willing to put it through, especially on the street. I get where you're coming from, wondering just how much the bike will do, but believe me you don't want to find out the hard way... :p

If you felt like you needed to slow down because you didn't know what the bike was gonna do I think you made a smart choice. Riding "above your head" on the street is a bad idea. Crossing the center line, going wide, late braking, standing the bike up, hitting the shoulder "a little bit" etc. are all signs that you're pushing beyond your ability.

http://www.mn-hsta.org/The_Pace.htm

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
MarkJJ said:
Any of you ever taken county rd 7 (Nason Hill Rd N) just south of Marine on St. Croix? I just did that road and there are okay turns on it. Well while I was about to enter a turn pretty aggresively the pavement became quite bumpy and uneven. So I got off the speed and just cruised gently though the turn. What I'm wondering is can the monster's suspension keep traction in a tight bumpy paved turn and so I shouldn't be afraid off riding the throttle through the whole turn? Or is taking those types of turns cautiously the best?
Yep -- I've ridden that road several times. It's fun, but I agree that some of the turns are a bit bumpy. Love these MN roads... ::)

I think Ross (Desmo Elmer) is right. This is something that has no magic "right answer". Variables like your bike's sag/suspension components/tires are all going to affect how well your particular machine can handle varied pavement. The cornering speed that's comfortable for you (with a margin of safety) is the right speed.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Think about your contact patch when at a lean angle. You have very little connecting you to the road. I would definately take it easy over bumps while cornering. It's easy to loose traction on the front wheel from going slightly airborne over the bump. Another thing to consider is when your front wheel does get light or even off the pavement and comes down at an angle, you are more likely to get a tankslapper. That's usually how they are caused unless you're on a powerful bike that lifts the front easily.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys...

I guess I'm just wondering what a bike like ours will do in an aggressive turn on different surfaces. I know on pure ice it doesn't matter how well tuned or how good the motorcyclist is the bike will go down in a tight turn. Also go down on: loose gravel road, probably the same thing; Very wet pavement, good chance?; Dry smooth pavement with some loose gravel on it, likely?; then dry bumpy pavement...?

Like it has been said I envision the tires bouncing off the pavement, however slightly, while in the turn and I think that's a bad thing to be happening.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most of riding fast has to do with the rider. Not the bike. A friend of mine who is 61 will spank an awful lot of riders on superior bikes if the road is twisty enough with his 78 Yamaha XS650 and on his 900ss he flat runs away and hides. It's amazing how fast he is on something I would be terrified to ride in anger let alone something almost anyone can be fast on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts