food
hotel
gas
follow up car - for gear
route
etc. etc.
It's about a 600 mile a day trip.

so with that said - what do i bring?
i did almost the exact same trip with some friends of mine earlier in the year, which is what prompted me to order a sheepskin seat pad (my ass HURT)
i have pants/boots/gloves/jacket/helmet
i'm thinking of bringing a scarf and maybe a tank bag with some essentials (not sure what).

ear plugs?
visor wipe?

any/all suggestions for doin trips on the monster would be welcome

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
600 a day on a monster is ROUGH

With the gear vehicle you can pack very light

Tank bag w/

Visor wipes
Spare visor if you are riding at night and use a smoked
something to snack on, GORP
water
Map and knowledge of ending destination
cell phone or change for the payphone
flashlight

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mother said:
600 a day on a monster is ROUGH
yeah, we are going from San Luis Obispo to San Fransisco (up the 1)
i did almost the same trip back in May... my ass really ****ing hurt
reeaaaallllyyyy ****ing hurt

anyone ever use that Anti-Monkey-butt powder?

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, and i'll probably still wear my camelback
fill it up with rum and i'm set

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
MrFry said:
yeah, we are going from San Luis Obispo to San Fransisco (up the 1)
i did almost the same trip back in May... my ass really ****ing hurt
reeaaaallllyyyy ****ing hurt
That's only 600 miles if you do laps. Or if you go inland too and take some of the REALLY fun roads. ;D.

I'd throw everything in a tank bag or a tailbag or bungee down a backpack. I wouldn't want to wear a backpack for 600 miles if ya don't need to. It'd be fine, but why bother?

Depends on how far back the support car is. I'd say bring rain gear in your tank bag or bungeed. Your life is gonna suck if you get wet. And it can rain at weird parts on that route (or be so foggy that it might as well rain), while being sunny the rest.

So . . .

rain gear
random tools
advil
water
power bar or two
spare visor
visor wipe
neck fuzzy (or some other warm thing)
latex gloves (good to wear under your regular gloves if necessary or if you want to stop and play doctor).
flashlight
wallet
cell phone
extra ear plugs
chapstick
camera
map
Emergency contact info
some ductape and a coupla zipties.
spare key. Yes, carry a spare key with you or have it in your gear in the support car.

Bring chain lube and a bike lock in your stuff in the support car.

And buy an aftermarket seat. Immediately.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spidey said:
That's only 600 miles if you do laps. Or if you go inland too and take some of the REALLY fun roads. ;D.
did that last time! ;D ;D ;D
Spidey said:
I'd throw everything in a tank bag or a tailbag or bungee down a backpack. I wouldn't want to wear a backpack for 600 miles if ya don't need to. It'd be fine, but why bother?
did that last time as well.. ended up cramming my nuts into the tank... i think i'll let the support car hold it this time
but i'll still throw some necessities in my camelback

thanks for the advice!
keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
MrFry said:
thanks for the advice!
keep 'em coming!
Only 600 mile days _with_ a support car?

I'd be taking no luggage on the bike at all - what are you realistically gonna need that you can't either carry in your jacket pockets, or wait for the support car to arrive?

big

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about a motorcycle lock? worth it?
i didn't have one last time, but we really didn't stop anyplace i was worried about

And any input on headphone-earplug dealies? worth it?
i've never ridden with music, so it would be a new experience

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
MrFry said:
what about a motorcycle lock? worth it?
i didn't have one last time, but we really didn't stop anyplace i was worried about

Maybe, but in with the support car luggage... You might want to lockup over night, but no during stops through the day...

And any input on headphone-earplug dealies? worth it?
i've never ridden with music, so it would be a new experience
I personally quite like riding with the iPod, but you'll get lots of opinions about it being dangerous, and I guess I actually agree with them since I don't commute with it, but I happily use it on out-of-town trips. Take extra care if you try it, it _can_ be distracting... I'm much happier these days since I got a remote control that velcros onto the bar clamp which has big enough buttons to work with gloves. Being able to pause the tunes when you hit the challenging twisties wasily is good. Being able to up and down the volume as you go from freeway cruising to slower streets or stoplights is also nice...

big

·
Registered
141 Posts
in regards to the riding w/tunes.
I usually ride w/my ipod. I can hear horns and sirens fine.
Then again I don't have a major commute and the traffic isn't bad and I'd like to think that I am hyper aware of my surroundings.
(i know, I know, there is always that chance....)
For long weekend rides I love it. I made a 4 hour playlist that keeps me groovin while riding. If you are like me, standard earphones don't work so well in my helmet, I shelled out the 50 bucks at the apple store for the soft,
in-your-ear plugs. very comfy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Find some way to lock the throttle. My limited experience is that several hours of not being to let go of the throttle makes the monkey butt feel like a hot rock massage by comparison.

·
Registered
977 Posts
a couple of things to add to what has allready been said. A throttle rocker in addition to or instead of a throttle lock, some sort of fairing or windscreen and a condom ;). 600 mi on a monster will seem like hell by the end. I love touring on my monster but 400 to 500 in a day is my max and that isn't fun. I can't imagine 600 unless it is all high speed interstate and what would be the fun in that.

·
Registered
973 Posts
One thing to look into is gel inserts for your boots. Cuts down on the v-twin vibration quite a bit. Then again I tend to over do it on gel stuff, DP gel seat (sooo awesome), gel handgrips, padded gel shorts, etc. but it makes such a big difference in comfort during long hauls.

Music is huge for me on longer trips. Though it may not be as important to you if you're cruising up 1, what with the scenery and all.

With your chase car I wouldn't carry a damn thing I didn't need. Keep some cash/cards on you, cell phone, map, camera, anything that you might need to keep going if you get seperated. Other then that, screw it, use the damn chase car (ya pansy [cheeky])

And to echo Spidey, how the heck are you going to turn a ride from SLO to SF into a 600 mile in one day trip? Honestly curious. :)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Jammen said:
And to echo Spidey, how the heck are you going to turn a ride from SLO to SF into a 600 mile in one day trip? Honestly curious. :)
I dunno, I always seem to find a way to do that, particularly when I'm on my own and don't have any specific schedule arranged...

"Hmmm, I wonder where _that_ road goes?"

Here's how you turn a 900 odd km Sydney-Melbourne trip into a 3200km round trip, and that was taking the direct route home...

http://www.mightymedia.com.au/~bigiain/bug_collecting/map.html

big

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hydrate yourself a lot. The Camelback is a great idea. When you stop for gas drink Gatorade, you need the electrolytes.

Don't sit down when you stop, walk around and loosen up the muscles.

I never got along to well with the gel shorts but bicycle shorts are good.

I wear ear plugs, mostly 'cause I am tryig to save my hearing.

600 miles is no big deal, you can do it easy.

If you are in a rural area remember the animals move around at sunrise and sunset, it's what they do when they get off work I guess.

Be safe and if you get tired stop.

If your doing slab no problem, twisty stuff?, I'd leave that for the start or not at all if this is your first distance ride.

Read "Going the extra mile" by Ron Ayres. I read it after my second Iron Butt ride and wished I'd read it before.

Good luck

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sdweasel said:
Don't sit down when you stop, walk around and loosen up the muscles.
Yeah 10 or 15 minutes walking around and stretching at every fuel stop really helps.

I wear ear plugs, mostly 'cause I am tryig to save my hearing.
+1 I have a pair of Etymotic ER6is to listen to the iPod with - they're great at cutting out background/windnoise as well as sounding great - if I haven't got them in I'll definitely be wearing foam earplugs - its not just about "saving my hearing", its actually _much_ less tiring not having to listen to the loud wind and exhaust nosie all day (I hightly recommend earplugs in planes too, for the same reason)

If you are in a rural area remember the animals move around at sunrise and sunset, it's what they do when they get off work I guess.
Yeah, down here we call that "Skippy o'clock" - dawn and dusk are when all our nocturnal wildlife decide to cross the roads... You don't want to hit a wallaby or kangaroo on a bike, and you _really_ don't want to hit a wombat...

I'm not a morning person, so the dawn danger time rarely affects me, but I make a point if I'm going to ride on into the evening of taking a long 2-ish hour break around sunset - give the wildlife a change to get out of their burrows and across the road to the waterholes while I have a leisurely dinner, I'll set off again once "twilight" has well and truely turned into "night"...

big

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I just rode from Birmingham, AL to Memphis, TN. It was my first road trip, and I learned a few things:

1) The stock Monster seat isn't EVEN as comfortable as my Fizik Arione bike saddle for 6 hours, even though it's 4 times as wide.

2) 65 degrees outside is pleasant standing still, rolling along at 80 it's quite different.

3) Jacket liners and pant liners don't do a d**n thing for the breeze that shoots down the back of the jacket via the neck hole.

4) I second the Patagonia Capilene motion, their glove liners are the shiznizzle.

5) A $15 Sea Line drybag and a $4 bungee cargo net are a great alternative to a $150 tail bag.

6) Throttle rocker is the cat's pajamas, but I wish it were throttle locker... there were a couple of times I wanted to stretch out my right shoulder b/c it got kinda tight. But it still beats nothing at all.

7) When you walk into Wendy's wearing full riding gear looking worn out from the road, people get out of your way... guess the biker stereotype holds ;) It's even funnier when you smile and say hey and they look really surprised, as if previously they thought you were going to shove them out of the way or something.

8) Monsters have a gas tank that is a wee bit small for touring.

9) Because of reason number 8, a 275 mile trip takes considerably longer via 2 wheels than 4.

10) My bum hurts, my rt. shoulder hurts, I've got bugs all over my gear.

11) Because of reasons 1-10, that 5.5hr trip was way more fun than the same thing by 4 hours in a car ;D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with xodeuce...on all except the saddle, but that is just me.

A few weeks ago, did the NYC-Montreal trip. Up Friday down on Sunday. The seat did not hurt, but I am used to riding a mountain bike and track bike. So go figure. The throttle is a biggie. I do exercises with my fingers, squeezing the throttle with my palm and thumb while the other digits are moving about. But my wrist is what really hurts and the shoulder. So when we stop (cause the tank is small), I stretch.

Music is a must. Some light food and hydration. I prefer water cause it actually moves faster through your system and usually comes out as sweat sooner. Gatorade usually makes me pee more. A neck fleece thing is the move. I would leave as much with the support car as possible. Anything extra on the bike makes it that much more work. Backpacks are a drag. I commute with one and it drains me more than long rides.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts