Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in heading down to the tail this summer? I was thinking of going either late this month or August. I was going to trailer my bike down. Anybody????

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just did it! Awesome, and scariest 11 miles I've ever ridden. My advice is go in the morning, or after 5. We did 2 runs in the morning, around 8am, and had the road to ourselves. Then we did a couple of other roads, came back to eat lunch at the gift shop at the start of the dragon, and watched ads LITERALLY hundreds of harleys rode in, one after another, for 3 or 4 hours straight. We saw one group of 40-50 harleys! These guys ride SLOW! I mean, we followed a group of harleys on another area road. The speed limit was 50. They were doing 30! Not 30 mph on the turns, but 30 in the straights. I kid you not. Some locals said that after 5, the road is completely open.

Oh, and LEO were at the beginning and end of the 11 mile run, so watch your speed entering and exiting. Should be safe on the run itself, though.

Here're some pics. I didn't push myself since I didn't want to be "yet another guy" who laid it down on the dragon.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. I was looking at staying at the kickstand lodge. Seems to be very reasonably priced and has great recommendations. I really don't need anything fancy so was going to camp since I'll be out riding most of the day anyway.Everyone told me to hit the tail as early as possible and during the week if I could to avoid the train of harleys.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are SO MANY roads in the area that are worth doing. Another suggestion is US 28, which connects to the dragon. Not as curvy, but still lots and lots of twisties. There are even a couple of 10mph switchbacks (more like U-turns). Nothing like a big caution sign with flags that says "dangerous 10mph turn 1/4 mile ahead" to get your attention.

Also, we stayed at the Iron Horse motorcycle resort for $15 each for camping. Look it up, it was great. They have showers, a lodge/entertainment room, and a great fire ring. It's about 30 min from the Dragon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recommend the Cherohala Skyway, Hwy 143/165 which crosses the dragon. Not as aggressive as the dragon, but panoramic view with many sweeping curves. 28 is fun too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
september i may be able to work something out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cherohala Skyway is a great road...just be safe and ride at your own pace. it can get a little over whelming on some of those roads down there

·
Registered
202 Posts
Watch out for the squirrels, seriously:) Check out other roads in the area. A lot of fun to be had in that part of tn and nc away from the dragon. Check out the barbecue wagon in Bryson City....drooling now......

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
368 Posts
My parents live not to far from there and I'm staying Thursday- Sunday, they're big Harley people and have rode almost every road worth riding up and down the easy coast and have been exploring Tennessee and Georgia too since they moved. Were going to go along the blue ridge parkway and some other awesome roads. I'll have go pro footage of everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts