Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having yet another electrical issue with my 2000 M900.

I installed a Clear Alternatives LED conversion kit about a week ago and all lights worked perfectly. Tonight I just noticed that now my brake light is stuck in the on position (always bright). I check all the connections and everything seems to be good. The only thing I can think of is I got caught in the rain a couple days ago...could this have affected it? Where could the problem be if it isn't in the connections at the tail light?

·
Registered
73 Posts
pull your front brake lever and push the pedal and listen to see if you hear it click. Check the actuators that activate the light (the little switches) and each brake cylinder. try disconnecting whatever wire you hooked up for the brake to the LED light and see if it goes out, if it doesnt then the light must be screwed up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No click on the pedal, bad foot switch? Is there a quick way to bypass that so it doesn't keep the light on? I don't really use the foot brake anyway....

·
Registered
73 Posts
No click on the pedal, bad foot switch? Is there a quick way to bypass that so it doesn't keep the light on? I don't really use the foot brake anyway....
you should be using your foot brake, about 30% of the total braking LOL:p

but honestly if you unplug the conector to the rear brake microswitch it should shut it off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have an update for this problem... I have tested both switches and they appear to be working perfectly...tail light still is bright 100% of the time... any other suggestions?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If both switches are working properly, your tail light shouldn't be fully lit. From my experience, the front microswitch is actually an inverted switch: pushing the actuator button down breaks the circuit. It may still click even if the internal contacts are bad or stuck. When I was having issues with my tail light triggering correctly, I pulled the microswitch off and hit it with some carb cleaner. That seemed to resolve the issue for me.

Note that if you pull the switch off, there is a tiny spacer that sits between the switch and the brake handle. Make sure you catch that, because if it's lost your switch will stay in the on position unless you manually break the circuit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know the tail light could be bad too. Don't rule that out, a simple way to isolate the problem is check the voltage at the light on the brake and parking light wire. If they are not both 12v then the light is bad.

·
Registered
635 Posts
have you by any chance, unplugged the tail light and reconnected it? cross the plugs by any chance? if brake micorswitches are bad[it has happened to me after a ride in teh rain], I spray some electro cleaner[putting a rag around the brake master] and the shoot it with some wd40 for its water dispersing properties, this usually takes care of this issue...do the same procedure with the rear...
Godspeed

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my Motodynamic LED light. I can see it blink 3 times when turning to on as it should when the brakes are applied. However, the brake light does not seem to turn off "bright". I can hear the front and rear switches click and I can even see slight brightness changes in the light. Based on that, I know they are making connection to the LED light. It is not blinking 3 times like it should and will not go to the running light.

What is the best way to verify it is a problem with the light versus the bike wiring?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a used '96 Monster, and had the same issue. The wires switched. There is the tail light, and the brake light. An initial test could reveal that the switches worked fine, and that even the light was lighting, but the dim filiment was responding to the brake and the bright light was staying on.

I had to simply swith the the wires to the other connections.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same crap happened to me a while back. In my case, my seat pin pinched some wires and then all hell broke loose. First it was always bright, then when i found the short and fixed it, my running light quit but my brake light worked. Also at the same time this happened, my gauge cluster lights quit. I eventually swapped out the entire rear portion of the wiring harness for an LED kit from vizitek. Everything should be good now right? Wrong. Still no running light. No voltage was coming down the running light wire so i spliced into it straight from the battery to give it the 12v and BAM. I had my gauge lights back and all is well with the tail. I installed a switch between the battery and splice and that was my fix. Kinda ghetto but better than having to buy a new Gauge cluster.

Double triple check your wiring. Get yourself a multimeter. Im convinced something went bad in my cluster after this debauchery. Hopefully this is not the case with you.

A bad fuse can also cause the brake light to not turn off. Im pretty sure thats how it tells you the fuse is bad.

good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
HAhahAHha

Still scratching my head after a few Budweisers on this one.

Following the advice above on my 95 M900 -

I checked all the fuses - All okay.

Unplugged the rear brake light switch - Brake light still on.

Disconnected the front switch - Brake light still on.

Had another few beers.

And isn't the rear brake lever supposed to come back up on it's own...?

Any advice where to look next...?

Thanx, Danny

·
Registered
186 Posts
If both switches were disconnected and the brake light was still illuminated then I would go after the wiring and check the voltage at the "tail light" wire and "brake" wire that is hooked up to the light. My assumption is the wires are crossed causing this at the connections or in the light.

As far as a OEM/Factory incandescent light bulb, check the contacts. If you actually turn the bulb to hard, it will actually touch both contacts and illuminate both filaments in the light. (Chalk one up to personal experience)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turned out to just be a loose connection at the tail light, really easy fix but easily overlooked

1 - 15 of 15 Posts