Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously contemplating a tail chop to my s4rs but wanted first to get a sense as to whether anyone in Toronto (and surrounding area) has had any trouble with the cops. I think technically it is offside the HTA. Has anyone rec'd a ticket?

Last thing I want is to draw attention to myself! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I honestly wouldnt worry about. As long as your plate is visible and you have your signals and license plate light you should be fine. I just chopped mine. I really don't think the cops would even know the difference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Seriously contemplating a tail chop to my s4rs but wanted first to get a sense as to whether anyone in Toronto (and surrounding area) has had any trouble with the cops. I think technically it is offside the HTA. Has anyone rec'd a ticket?

Last thing I want is to draw attention to myself! :)
I live in Toronto and have done 2 chops, one on my old S2R1000, and on my current S4Rs. No issues at all.

Why would you think the police would give you issues? There is nothing illegal about it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it might help not get pulled over if you put a license plate light back on
Agreed. I'm definitely going to put the plate light back on.

I live in Toronto and have done 2 chops, one on my old S2R1000, and on my current S4Rs. No issues at all.

Why would you think the police would give you issues? There is nothing illegal about it?
It is good to hear that you've had no issues! The HTA is actually fairly vague, but i think it can be interpreted against tail chops. If i recall, it has to do with not having enough protection for debris flying off the wheel (i.e. a proper tail guard or rear hugger)... then again, all aftermarket exhausts are technically illegal as well I believe.... <shrug>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Effects of tail chop?

I love the look - but concerned on lack of protection from water/dust/debris. How bad is it? Can u still ride in the wet? (696)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I got pulled over once for the plate being at too much of an angle. so while I agree with the sentiments above, your concerns are not entirely unfounded

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got pulled over once for the plate being at too much of an angle. so while I agree with the sentiments above, your concerns are not entirely unfounded
yeah, i was thinking about that. most tail chops have the plate angled to such an extent that it is hard to see the plate from behind. i'm sure that is to avoid having the plate get crunched by the tire when the suspension really compresses, but it is something that, i'm sure, is very noticeable by cops (i.e. they don't have to know the highway traffic act regulations to notice that it might not be totally legit). oh well. i guess there is a risk. i'm going to do it anyway. it just looks so much better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts